Shoe / Footwear Design and Schools?

im assuming you applied under fashion design? i want to apply there too but for design and management, is it hard to get in? and how did you get acceptance reply so fast? does parsons make a decision really quickly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I applied for fashion design. It was really easy for me to get in because well I was doing fashion design at another school that is pretty good (best in the westcoast in my opinion). I don't think parsons in general is hard to get into, like most art school nowadays have become really a business, but you gotta take the good with the bad. I think its a little harder though to transfer into, since you need to provide a transfer portfolio so you can waver courses, other than that I don't think you should have a real problem getting in.

They took about a little less than a two weeks after I sent my portfolio and transcripts to reply. The head of the fashion department at my old school said my portfolio was extremely strong so I guess that's why they replied fairly fast, at least I hope! lol

travolta said:

I hope more people choose shoe design as their profession, but I know it's not the glamorous world like say a fashion designer. :lol:

:heart: for the bump!

hey no prob, you have a lot of information to share!

btw. what school did you attend if you don't mind my asking here, and what was your experienec/ curriculum like?

i studied a bit of shoe design in college.

travolta said:
hey no prob, you have a lot of information to share!

btw. what school did you attend if you don't mind my asking here, and what was your experienec/ curriculum like?

i studied a bit of shoe design in college.

I graduated from Parsons (when I started I took some classes at FIT) attended classes at Cercal and London College of Fashion Cordwainers. Parsons was not to much accessories, but fashion. In fact they only had one class of shoe design when I attended, and I think it is still this way. I much perferred Cercal and LCFC- you can't go wrong with either of these schools, if shoes are truly your passion. Their classes are on shoes (you can learn handbags from the best here too), which is all I wanted. Italy is unsurpassed in the craft of the shoe, plus you can find shoemakers who still work from a shop, who are willing to pass on their knowledge and London is not that far behind, with less of the passing on, but the craft is still be taught well. I loved all my education and continue to learn.

thanks for the info. i studied industrial design, and took a class in shoe design, but i was more interested in the branding/ strategy aspect! if you care to post any of your sketch models or final designs i'd appreciate! also in another thread several people voiced interest in seeing examples of the process stage.

travolta said:
thanks for the info. i studied industrial design, and took a class in shoe design, but i was more interested in the branding/ strategy aspect! if you care to post any of your sketch models or final designs i'd appreciate! also in another thread several people voiced interest in seeing examples of the process stage.

You're welcomed. I've been having a website built for my company for a few months now, it's so hard to decide, but I plan to show sketches by myself and my partner. We have been thinking to show the entire process, even us in the factories jaja. So we can justify the prices. :innocent:

No as soon as it's up I plan to post and show.

Hi oria....
I am looking forward to see your site.......
i wish you much luck for your business...

nay-k said:
Hi oria....
I am looking forward to see your site.......
i wish you much luck for your business...

Nay-K!! :woot: :woot:

My fellow shoe designer, thank you. It means much coming from you. :flower:

Hi oria....
i wish I could hold my own shoes in my hands as well but it takes still a long time to get started. But i will someday :-)
In the meantime I am doing a lot of other things too...

May I use the links you posted in this thread for my shoe magazine site? (www.drition.org/nay-k)

nay-k said:
Hi oria....
i wish I could hold my own shoes in my hands as well but it takes still a long time to get started. But i will someday :-)
In the meantime I am doing a lot of other things too...

May I use the links you posted in this thread for my shoe magazine site? (www.drition.org/nay-k)

Of course love, information is power! :woot:

As far as the hardship, trust me I know. I have been on pins and needles, through this entire process. It was not easy, just remember you are laying the foundations for something of your dreams and hopes. :flower:

Nay-k, just checked your website... very nice and full of information. is there a printed magazine, or is only a site?
i am a new shoe designer myself, just graduated from Cordwainers, and have always been reading and checking The Fashion Spot, without being directly involved.
if anyone needs any info about Cordwainers, please do not hesitate.

Scholarship For Footwear Design

i hope this is a good place to put this, but i wanted anyone who may be interested in footwear/shoe design to know there is an organization that does give scholarships to those aspiring to be in this field. they also do a lot of helping for those already in the field.

Two Ten Footwear Foundation
http://www.twoten.org/footweardesignscholarships.aspx#

to add:

cercal a footwear design school (i have attended this school) holds yearly competitions for aspiring shoe/footwear designers or those in school already open to anyone who is born after 1974 i think. they give you entire funding for their 8 month course, and money to live in italy as well if you win the competition. there is always a theme, so you can e-mail them and ask for the shoe design competition. it is a great place and they take you to actual factories, suppliers, etc.

oh and look under "news" on their website you can see some of last years winners drawings, to get an idea of what they look for. as a shoe designer this is always aspiring.

http://cercal.org

i wonder where miss Nay-K is.. i miss her

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->