Shoe / Footwear Design and Schools?

since you've attended, can you give a description. do you have to speak the language. is it good - i mean do they teach you to do quality work?

TheSweetest said:
since you've attended, can you give a description. do you have to speak the language. is it good - i mean do they teach you to do quality work?

the school is great, the location is about an hour away from bologna (but don't quote me). they do teach in italian but the books are bilingual. i took a class that i attended before class started, and it worked for me. the teachers are use to students who don't speak italian fluently, and are very patient, and will talk sometimes in english, but it's important to know italian if you plan to say work in italy or have your shoes produced there, they teach you the essential part of the language, especially to produce shoes in italy. they will help you secure housing if you need them too. i stayed with another student, and it came to about 300 euros a month at the time i attended. and you can never go wrong about them teaching you quality work. they teach the different steps in a mini factory, they teach basic illustration skills if you need that. you learn from craftsmen, people who have families in the business, or were taught from a child. when i attended we visited the factories of sergio rossi, casedei, and guiseppe zanotti. we also went to linea pelle and different trade shows.

the city is near the ocean, it's small, but i loved it. very inspiring, loads of creative energy. the people in the town were very nice, and if i had known they exsisted before i attended Parsons i would have only went there and London. i loved it! i may go back to visit one day soon.

let me know if you decide to apply. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
they also teach handbag construction, which is taught over 8 or six months. i am not sure but my roomate at the time was only taking the handbag construction courses, which is excellent as well.

Lena said:
i wonder where miss Nay-K is.. i miss her

she was in this topic a while ago, and she does have her own website too. i miss her own here too, she is shoe crazy like me. :lol:

I forgot to mention these things, refferals from person i know.

http://www.arteschool.com/english/design2_uk.htm - a friend of mines just finished learning shoe/handbags from this school, mostly sketching, process, etc. so i wanted to add to the list. she said nothing but good things.

http://imb.it/ - the same friend said she spent some months at this school learning sketching of fashion, shoes, and handbags. again nothing but good words.

wow, very interesting sites. Cordwainers actually teaches you mainly pattern cutting, clicking and closing, and making... very hands on and technical. which is great. but i feel we lack some sketching techniques, more fashion and drawing oriented. these courses might be ideal.
thank you Oria :rolleyes:

soraya said:
wow, very interesting sites. Cordwainers actually teaches you mainly pattern cutting, clicking and closing, and making... very hands on and technical. which is great. but i feel we lack some sketching techniques, more fashion and drawing oriented. these courses might be ideal.
thank you Oria

i agree about cordwainers, illustration is not a strong point that i saw there when it came to footwear, but it didn't bother me so much since i knew how to sketch/draw already. i was looking more for the technical end since parsons couldn't actually show hands on creation of all shoes. but i still love professor howard davis, he's like a footwear library, he tried to teach despite the lack of equipment to do closed shoes, etc.

Shoe design...

Im doing an assignment at school about the footwear industry and i was curious as to whether anyone on tfs is involved in this industry or knows someone in the industry so i could ask some questions. :D
I was wanting to find out about shoe design and shoe manufacturing...
The questions are...
- The Qualifications and training required to be involved in this industry???
- Employment oppourtunites???

Every bit of info you know will help, thank you so much.... :D

Oria would know most about this... there are some other members who design shoes in the UK... I forget all of the usernames

Hi, I have responded to your PM, sorry for the delay as I have been under so much work.

Also just so you can get different opinions. Lady Muck, Soraya, Nay-K, and Emery are all in the shoe business as well. :flower:

Thank you all so much with all the information to help with my assignment...
I was wondering if i could have some help with one more thing.
Does anyone know any Australia shoe designers and Australian shoe companies who make the shoes???

i have sent you a pm on what i know about the australia footwear industry. i hope it helps you, but dont forget to ask the other tfsers i named in case they dont see this message. :flower:

Just wondering if anyone knows any influential Australian shoe designers???
Thank you all so much for helping meout for this assignment!!!

elegant patty i forget to say i'm glad you liked the resources. i think we need more people in footwear/shoe design. if you are thinking about it, know it's a very interesting and rewarding career. it is not as glamorous as say fashion design, and most people could care less :lol: but it's just amazing if you love shoes and details. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->