Style.com's Top Ten S/S 10 collections

even tho I wasn't fond of Alexander McQueen collection, it was definitely much better than Balmain .... G.I.Jane-Tarzan is not a good look ... i don't know thats just my opinion

It's probably the best list Ive seen from Style.com ever.

:woot: Versace! I dont even remember Donatella EVER being on this list! I definately agree with Balenciaga, Lanvin and Givenchy, they were amongst the VERY best this season.

Marc Jacobs....... HIDEOUS collection but you cant expect them to leave out ALL MJ collection....

Surprisingly enough there was no Prada/Miu Miu/Louis Vuitton

Chanel :yuk:

Balmain so tacky but obviously its only directed towards the market of style.com/vogue

^ Maybe they can rename the house AAA Lanvin ... that way they'll be first on every list :wink:

freebies is all i got to say, forget ads ... although balmain pulled its act together and is actually placing ads in french vogue.. but yeah, we know the game!

^ Maybe they can rename the house AAA Lanvin ... that way they'll be first on every list :wink:

That joke made me actually laugh out loud! It should be the house of 2.0 Lanvin, so they can top 3.1 Philip Lim! Well, what lists is he on anyway?:lol:

this is terrible..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually ok with the list for the most part, since half of the collections were among my own highlights. TBH though I'm pretty shocked that Dries didn't get a spot, and I'm disappointed that Haider Ackermann didn't get one this season.

Overall last season's list had a better balance, but then I happen to think that it was also a much stronger season with more shows that left a lasting impression. This season was pretty underwhelming for the most part, so it's kind of a given that the list is as well.

What?!

Alexander McQueen should be in the top 10.

Balmain was good but not better than McQueen.

are Prada cutting back on the advertising or something?:innocent:

I like that Celine, Proenza and Lanvin are on there

Versace also provided one of their best collections in years so good to see them here

i totally agree. what about michael kors? they only throw pages and pages of advertising into every issue. also, i thought lvmh would've pulled a couple of strings to get pucci more press. but i guess with three lvmh brands represented, they don't want to look too biased.

and let's not kid ourselves. balmain's on there to attract page hits. i don't care how much they may find his collection's hackneyed, the stuff has on-the-street appeal that cannot be ignored and draws web traffic that style.com needs to stay relevant.

also, balenciaga's there because someone from ppr has to be represented and it's not like anna's gang is going to allow the almost-tom-ford collection to get a spotlight at gucci on the eve of tom ford himself doing womenswear....:angel:

I am so confused by the notion of Celine and Balmain being on the same list. I mean.........

Yes, the list from a cash cow publishing house is bound to be politique. Advertising dollar rules.

They can't not include brands from LVMH and PPR or the big spending 'independents'. Add to the mix the talking brands and the (wrongly?) perceived cooler US designers to give cache to the majors and there you have it - a 'hands tied' formula.

Problem is you just can't include the likes of Chanel and Rodarte on the same list and appear to have a cohesive view.

The lack of authenticity becomes woefully transparent which is part of why we hang out here and on blogs etc and not there. That's the bind for the old world publishers like Conde Nast- how to not bite the hand that feeds whilst simultaneously keeping an increasingly knowledgable audience on side. I'm not sure they can and their top 10 serves to illustrate their problem (as of course does the dwindling sales of their increasingly irrelevant print titles).

^i wouldn't go that far. there's something to be said that we're talking about style.com's top ten and not any other website's.

further, i think there's a good balance between the mainstream winners and the edgy champions. also, a good balance between that which appeals to the younger crowd and that which appeals to the older. the celine collection had all of the refinement that the balmain show disdains. lanvin played to every convention that marc jacobs turned on its head. chanel and versace are really two sides of the same conspicuous consumption coin -- if you really think about it -- as are balenciaga and givenchy two sides of the same edgy coin. and rodarte and proenza schouler truly did present two of the most interesting new york collections out there -- not to mention one will have the target advertising buy behind it this fall and the other has a fresh infusion of valentino group money to make them relevant to the style.com bottom line (and a target collection of their own under their belt).

I just came here to gloat- I totally called Prada not making the list- for once- because of the abandonment of ugly for ugly's sake in favor of actually wearable fashion.

I'm actually ok with the list for the most part, since half of the collections were among my own highlights. TBH though I'm pretty shocked that Dries didn't get a spot, and I'm disappointed that Haider Ackermann didn't get one this season.

Overall last season's list had a better balance, but then I happen to think that it was also a much stronger season with more shows that left a lasting impression. This season was pretty underwhelming for the most part, so it's kind of a given that the list is as well.

I SECOND THIS... Dries and Ackermann were amazing. The list seemed to be comprised of well known designers for the sake of having them there. Though of course there are exceptions! and HAH at prada not being there :innocent:

A bit predictable but there's soo many names i could list that should've been mentioned on that list. I'd remove Givenchy and Balmain and place Versace and Proenza even higher.

The recession hit a lot the runway shows.

I can't believe they didn't put McQueen in the top. His show was fabulous! And Balmin, really? :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->