Style.com's Top Ten S/S 10 collections

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Flashbang, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Flashbang

Flashbang Mr. Magic

clothes with a point of view

What will get women back into the stores? Designers came up with a range of answers for Spring, lower price points being one of the most compelling. But this wasn't a season of "safe clothes." There was less talk of "brand DNA," and the best collections had a tangible sense of adventure. Representing some intriguing opposites (utility chic and 24-hour cocktail dressing, the city and the country, sport and lingerie dressing), here are Style.com's favorites.

1. Balenciaga

[​IMG]
    Saying au revoir to the eighties, Nicolas Ghesquière went back to the future and the streets, arming his tribe of urban warriors with hooded vests, sporty skirts, and the sexiest leather jeans around—all spliced together in ways that defy both the imagination and the copy artists.

2. Balmain

[​IMG]
    Christophe Decarnin found a way to put a new gloss on the tight, tattered, T&A formula he's made his own—mixing tailcoats, army surplus shirts, and leather cargo pants with chain-mail minidresses and sequined loincloths. The look is so hot, it's probably illegal in several states.

3. Celine

[​IMG]
    Good news for women looking for practical yet utterly polished clothes: Phoebe Philo's back. Leather tees, high-waisted trousers, and a sophisticated new take on leotard dressing are the keys to her contemporary—and in a way, daring—brand of minimalism.

4. Chanel

[​IMG]
    Lily Allen sang with her band, but forget the theatrics. Karl Lagerfeld, at his playful best, took Chanel rustique. In the imaginative mix: nubby tweed suits (this time with thigh-split skirts), frothy chiffon party frocks worthy of Marie Antoinette, and, yes, clogs.

5. Givenchy

[​IMG]
    Riccardo Tisci nailed it for Spring, marrying the gothic, rocker sensibility that has made fans of Madonna, Rihanna, et al. with real-world chic in the form of graphic black and white suitings, draped toga dresses, and striking tribal prints

style.com

2. Flashbang

Flashbang Mr. Magic

6. Lanvin

[​IMG]
    Never mind the recession. Alber Elbaz refused to play it safe: He laid on the chunky jewelry, loaded his dresses and jumpsuits with a souk's worth of gold beads, displayed his mastery of color, and even did clever things with polyester. Fashion lovers the world over will find a way to get their hands on these confections.

7. Marc Jacobs

[​IMG]
    Ruffles by the mile, lamé, sheer leggings, Kabuki makeup, fanny packs—they were all in the zany mix at Marc Jacobs. And the season's unmissable underwear-as-outerwear trend? As usual, you saw it here first.

8. Proenza Schouler

[​IMG]
    They've oft claimed to design for the bright young things they call their friends, but this time Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough really delivered. Their surf- and skate-influenced abbreviated animal-print dresses are destined for heavy rotation on the party circuit.

9. Rodarte

[​IMG]
    Kate and Laura Mulleavy spun a tale about a woman-turned-condor into the stuff of fashion fantasy: one-of-a-kind dresses and gowns patchworked together from ravaged bits of leather, cheesecloth, plaid, and cobwebby knits. It made for apocalyptic magic on the runway.

10. Versace

[​IMG]
    This is the season of the cocktail dress, which means it's Donatella Versace's moment to shine. And shine she did with chain mail, cutouts, eye-popping prints, and even a plastic miniskirt or two. It was vintage Gianni, but with a twenty-first-century woman's eye for cut, proportion, and fit.

style.com

3. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

hah.. and ew.

thanks for posting, flashbang..

4. cologne_rocks

cologne_rocks New Member

i swear balmain paid the guys so that they mention the collection lol

5. paz2992

paz2992 New Member

i agree mostly with Versace, Chanel, Givenchy and Celine.
    the rest or ok, or... eh?

6. MyNameIs

MyNameIs Well-Known Member

Could this list be any more predictable and cliche?

But at least Prada/Miu Miu didn't make it.

7. LabelWhore4

LabelWhore4 New Member

They have got to be kidding.....Balmain???:sick:

8. Empress Merel

Empress Merel Active Member

Why are the top 2 even on the list?

9. KKnardi

KKnardi Active Member

they must be a bit crazy, no alexander mcqeen? balenciaga at no 1?
    balmain is a great choice though...

10. sill

sill Active Member

11. Karen0193

Karen0193 Active Member

Exactly,every season is the same thing, almost the same brands. I swear I loved Balmain,but I wouldnt clasify it as one of the top ten collections this season compared to McQueen or Galliano.

I am so happy that Prada didnt make it too , since they've been on that list forever.

12. platinumpink

platinumpink Member

For real. Heck even Viktor & Rolf. Those were one of a few collections that looked like there weren't reading from the same trend book as everyone else.

13. MarionasMuse

MarionasMuse New Member

14. saann

saann I don't know

are Prada cutting back on the advertising or something?:innocent:

I like that Celine, Proenza and Lanvin are on there

Versace also provided one of their best collections in years so good to see them here

15. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

I thought this list was pathetic.. it's like they only bothered looking at the highest-end names.
    I was happy to see someone like Erdem who is less glorified high in the list last time.
    Really glad Celine is there but I think about seven of them are mysteries..

16. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

I really only agree with Lanvin and Balenciaga and Chanel. Other than that, I find this list very forged and bias as there were plenty of other collections that could have made it. I don't think style.com ever gets it right.

17. Blanche DuBois

Blanche DuBois New Member

Love it!!!! super new
    I cannot believe they actually put versace there, im so glad
    I so agree w proenza and lanvin

^_^

18. VersaceLuva586

VersaceLuva586 New Member

Glad Versace is there, but why on earth is Marc Jacobs on the list?????

They might aswell add Louis Vuitton to the list too then :rolleyes:

19. abstraccion

abstraccion Member

Marc Jacobs? Balmain? So predictable.

Lanvin should be higher and i dont understand why Balenciaga is n.1

20. adorefaith

adorefaith i'm almost ready..

Such a boring list, so boring and irrelevant in fact that it's practically meaningless. :ninja: instead of using their 'high profile' to shine a light on some lesser known, creative, hard working designers, they go with the same names over and over again.. many of which did nothing special this season, imo. :rolleyes: Lists like these are so silly....it's just business and advertising, I guess, at the end of the day for them..