Your Favorite Designer Or House...what Are His/Her/Their Flaws

GiGiBeaumont

Reaction score
Everyone has a favorite designer(i would like to think so).lol. But if you are a true fan of your fav, then you could admit to at least one thing thats flawd about them.:P

I love Nicolas Ghesquière, but sometimes his designs can be "out there", as if i can only see them on the runway.lol

YOUR TURN

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the burgundy's gone...bummer. :P

As many know, I have an unhealthy obsession with Karl Lagerfeld and anything related to him, but after much contemplation, the only flaws I can think of are his relentless cattiness and his styling for a few of his Chanel shows.

^ I can think of more ... :P

Let's see, Alber Elbaz ... the frequent sex worker inspired shoes are a flaw, IMO ... his things not being as widely available as they should be :judge: The way the costume jewelry is priced :innocent:

He doesn't seem to be making adequate use of fit models, as some of the pieces don't look good on anyone (and you can tell which because every size is there on the sale rack).

I love Marc Jacobs, absolutely adore him ....however sometimes, some of his pieces look unflattering

hmm, let's see:

- Ghesquière, sometimes I find his woman aesthetic on the runway discomforting. They're always so pale and sickly looking, I'd like to see someone like Hilary Rhoda in Balenciaga again.

- Jacobs can ruin whole collections for me, it's mostly hit and sometimes (like FW 09) miss. But there are always a few nice pieces, no matter how bad it is.

- McQueen is nowhere to be found in my city. Why, oh, why, Alexander?

- Same goes for Christopher Kane. And that I'm sometimes not sure with him whether his designs are cool or fugly.

- Valli is like for my granny sometimes.

- Rodarte - that's a tough one. Maybe that they're too good? Does that count? :P

Donatella - She has a fantastic vision of a woman and her final pieces are beyond gorgeous but a lot of the time she ignored the original Gianni Versace factor.

Nicolas Ghesquiere - He has such a vivid imagination but sometimes I think he tries too hard and the collection end up looking really unoriginal or boring.

Burberry Prorsum - The collection is eveything you would want it to be, but when you visit the shop 6 months later all you can find is boring polo shirts and trenches smothered in the burberry logo and check, this is not luxury!

Alexander McQueen - I HATE HATE HATE the way he puts the C inside the Q in his name, this would look good for a diffusion line but NOT under any circumstances for his mainline, I love his designs but I will NOT buy anything from the brand for this sole reason.

John Gallinao - I hate the fact he uses rubber labels and handles on his bags, sometimes I think designers go to far trying to be different and should understand that perfection lies in a simple silk/cotton label with there name in balck.

Marc Jacobs:
The fact that he can come off as a fraud. Often times, just because his name is attached to them, very banal, boring, or truly hideous pieces become instantly fashionable. His 'cool' factor is enormous, but the designer in him, it seems, is a far weaker man than his marketing genius. His last LV show proved my point.

Also, I do not appreciate the 'I do ugly accessories and shoes, because I am too cool for school' mentality. Most of his bags are hideous to no end, and all the nice things about them are either stolen from Prada or Chanel. And shoes are too gimmick-y. One in a while, his playfulness leads him to true genius, and he is a huge talent, one must admit. But he is sloppy, and often lazy, just because he knows whatever he does will ultimately sell like crazy. He does very little to push himself, or challenge his vision and eye.

Theykens:
The fact that he cannot design anything else other than his fabulous gowns. He is a completely useless artistic director. He must surround himself with people capable of creating a range of products and garments, under his direction. He doesn't fit into today's description of what a luxury brand and fashion designer is supposed to be, even though he single-handedly designed some of the most beautiful gown any of us will ever see.

McQueen:
The fact that he still could not manage to create a design universe, or a signature look. His stubbornness and caprice do cost him a lot, and it is sad to see that this is one designer who could never take the next step to both creative and commercial greatness: the level of greatness that has been begging him to be achieved. Maybe now, it is too late. I do not think his brand will last after his death or retirement, since it is always a hit or miss situation with him.

Also, the fact that his highs are too high and his lows are abysmal. Most of his clothes are marvels of construction, with no usefulness or singular merit. It will be horrible if people remember him with just a few spectacular gowns and a skull scarf, after his death, like some ancient relic from the pages of once-upon-a-time fashion history.

Giorgio Armani:
The insistence on being unbearably demode and boring. The fact that even though he is the wealthiest designer in the world with limitless resources, he never felt the need to train any other young talent to replace himself one day. The fact that he still doesn't know what to do with color. And the fact that he tries so hard to cheapen his brand by attaching his name to the likes of Beyonce and Josh Hartnett.

Donatella Versace:
The fact that under her direction, Versace mensline became an editorial and commercial joke. A line once defined, and defied everything that was in style, now is just a grey suit with a lavender shirt. Also, the fact that Versace shoes and accessories are still bleeding and could not become anything worthy to speak of. The company still could not succeed in investing in accessories. Even Chloe is far more inventive and successful than Versace. Her seasonal and fragrance ad campaigns are also usually tacky beyond belief.

Miuccia Prada:
The lack of a jewelry line. She must bring back cool costume jewelry back to the forefront of fashion. She is the only person who can do it. I also hate her use of zebra wood-veneer in the SoHo store. It was a crime against the environment and the rainforest. And now, it looks old and worn-out.

Tisci:
His shoes are hideous season after season. Too ugly for words. I am also bored with the interminable studs, and metal detailing that pinches and rapes his fabrics. May need to cool it off for a good 6 seasons before revisiting all that metal.

Karl Lagerfeld:
His meaningless obsession with PVC as a material to use in bags, shoes and accessories at large for Chanel. It is cheap and often times, horrendous. Some of his Chanel shoes are also borderline tasteless and ugly. His Chanel menswear is offensive, and severely off-point. I usually despise his efforts for Fendi, especially his campaigns/photography. I do not mind him making up ridiculous stories about his childhood to come off as more interesting and affluent-by-birth, or claiming himself to be at least 5 years younger that what he actually is. However, his remarks about Seal was in such poor taste, I wonder how one can see him as the perfect European gentleman, as he himself likes to pose as. I am afraid his so-called 'borderline blue-blood' attitude can be just a mask, chipping away with old age and showing the ugliness behind. No truly elegant person could say such things.

Galliano:
So much to say. It will make me sad afterwards, so I should keep my thoughts to myself.

Francesco Scognamiglio
Wearability is the main flaw, methinks; I mean even some of the more flinch-worthy pieces I'd still wear if I were a wealthy lady, but I'm considering the other customers and his survival in these bleak non-plastic-trouser-breast-exposed times.
I'd also say that Scognamiglio, like Valli but not so quickly, might (just might) start getting repetitive because he does like a very certain aesthetic. But fingers and toes crossed he won't.

Giambattista Valli

His namesake line seems to have turned into something rather unextraordinary, samey, and recession-friendly, though his incredible use of shapes and materials appears to live on at Moncler Gamme Rouge.

I honestly can't think of flaws for my numerous other favourites . .

My favorite is Alexander McQueen. His designs are ****ing amazing and totally speaks to my personality.

The only thing that I don't like is that his line is going to Target. I feel that H&M would be way better for a man of his caliber and quality.

Hm lots of my fave have been mentionned already but...
I love Rodarte, but I hate how all their designs tend to be made only for very narrow frames. Granted, they are new-ish designers yet and I believe their designs will continue to develop, so we'll see.

Vivienne Westwood: Can't really think of flaws.. perhaps sometimes the wearability.

Alexander McQueen
: No flaws, he's just amazing.

Hah agreed with everybody who couldn't find flaws with McQueen. He's my favouuurite <3

Well, for me, Alexander McQueen has flaws...flaws that he's at least developed over the past few seasons. I've written about it before in his collection threads, but I truly believe he has lost his sense of poetry, delicacy and modernity (even when he extensively reference the past) that he always possessed in his earlier (as in pre-2008) collections. Even when he was confrontational and ruthless, his clothes were extremely refined and detail oriented. Nowadays, I feel as though his clothes have become loud caricatures...that's not to say he can't make nice things anymore, it's just that he's lost his sense of reality and therefor, his current collections no longer seem relevant or contemporary...or even interesting for that matter. It's too bad.

Tisci:
His shoes are hideous season after season. Too ugly for words. I am also bored with the interminable studs, and metal detailing that pinches and rapes his fabrics. May need to cool it off for a good 6 seasons before revisiting all that metal.
I would have to agree...maybe no so much with the shoes, but definitely about the studs and metal obsession. It's getting tired. Also, I fear that there has been something missing, something very difficult to pinpoint, from his latest collections (maybe excluding RTW FW 09). I can't tell you what it is, really, but there is something so subtly different from his collections pre-2008 and post-2008. If you know what it is, please tell me, because I don't! But whatever it is, it's missing and I want it back!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of the flaws that are listed in this thread are brought upon by external causes rather than the designers themselves just becoming "boring" or "uninspiring" or whatever. Things like the economy, public recognition and celebrities can affect the way a designer designs a lot I think. So in a way it's not entirely their fault.

ok here we go (it may have been said before though)

Alexander McQueen:
something's really weird with the bottom part of his dresses for me-the skirt part. They look so structured and are always there in his collections. He can also go really overboard with leather, fur, feathers and skins sometimes, but not as much as...

Riccardo Tisci:
I mean, he really like feathers and leather. Also some of his stuff doesn't really look like the founder's stuff, same with...

Donatella Versace:
sometimes it doesn't fit with Gianni's vision.

John Galliano:
his stuff can look sloppy sometimes. And it's getting a little repetitive, mainly with Dior.

Karl Lagerfeld:
attitude.

hmm. that's all I can think of now. I still love them all though, don't get me wrong :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"