Yves Saint Laurent F/W 09.10 Paris

taz, Thanks for the lowdown on the perfumes. I used to wear Babydoll, and must have made a lot of people around me ill. :lol: Now, I've thankfully graduated and hooked on Serge Lutens. I must check out Cinema on eBay soon, if it's a modern Y. It's such an evocative name. This Pilati collection looks very "Cinema" to me - a black and white collection, very modern and minimal, yet "old fashion modern", the age of Bauhaus, of Cinema like the New Wave, of "Le Smoking", Film Noir, a very pure aesthetic, etc., before CGI, not modern like the 80s or today. It is boring in the way a Bauhaus, eg. Mies van der Rohe, building is boring, but if you spend time with a Miesian building, you will discover it is extremely beautiful and a lot of care has been put into its design evolution. There is the fracas of a Frank Gehry design, and on the surface, people will say it is exciting, but it is actually not thoughtful, rather crude, and to me, boring and repetitive.

Yes, the Louis Vuitton of SS09 reminds me of a LLdlF YSL collection because of the colours, the sexy shapes and the bohemian, loud jewellery, especially the tassles. There is an exuberance in the design that is very sexy, coquette-ish and desirable. YSL, though, did it in a more elegant manner, I feel. Pilati has been on a more sober streak for YSL lately, ever since his "Le Smoking" collection. It has perhaps to do with the times. I remember it was in the early 2000s that the scene was alive with the electric colours and textures of the 80s, but now it is moving to a more estranged age. I was wearing a lot of colours, electro, collaged leather, hunting for slouchy Carlos Falchi reptile bags on eBay, etc., a few years ago, but now, I feel that that's a bit "over". It's true though, that Pilati didn't really go there, even though his early floral collections were romantic.

Yves himself wasn't a bohemian, and always in his white lab coat or black tux. In that sense, if I want to dress like the designer himself, I'd opt for the current Pilati approach. So yes, perhaps in happier times, that very exuberant exotic butterfly will be walking the Pilati runway and I surely look forward to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
not feeling the fakeazz balenciaga aw04 heelz.......

00230m.jpg
vs
00240f.jpg

~style.com

which is which ale?...:unsure:
i like the one on the right...

* so...
ok...don't shoot me...
but......

i have looked at this again and am not quite so excited about it as i was at first glance...
:ninja:...
maybe i was just happy to see something that could possibly actually be worn as opposed to the crap going down the runways at mcQueen, marc jacobs, prada, etc...

but ...all in all...this isn't really such a strong or special group of clothing...
i DO really like the hair and make up though which i think sort of swayed my opinion...
along with the leather, which always gets me hot and bothered...

:innocent:

:P

Sorry for being late on defending this collection, but I guess taz gave all of us a run for our money! :flower: This collection is giving me Belle du Jour flashbacks.

i think that is EXACTLY why i was so struck by it initially...
but upon closer inspection i feel it just doesn't hold up after all...
:ermm:...:rolleyes:

^^for me it was the opposite. at first sight it was a bigger edition-24 presentation (a bit dull for the fw rtw, no?)
in little time, it started growing on me. the only thing i'd change about it would be a little bit more romanticism and femininity on the shapes, and a touch of colour... maye like the gorgeous reds we are seeing everywhere this season. or would that be a bit too much like what he did for the current summer collection?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just re-looked at this collection in the hope that I'd be inspired.
I'm afraid that's not the case: It's just an absolutely hideous collection.
The materials are awful and the shape of that leather jumpsuit is shocking.
All except one piece - the black side-button dress at the end which is gorgeous.

An update about the Y perfume - I love the concept of it, the chypre base, the notes, the lightness, etc., but it comes across as a bit dated, maybe it's because of the aldehydes? Can't stand Chanel No. 5 because of those as well. Hope they'd "re-interprete" this one, as the drydown is very nice.

Still love this collection, and heard from a source it's selling well. Was looking at archives of Tina Chow and she really embodied this style - feminine, frail, but the boldly tailored, black and white "masculine" clothes and extraordinary jewelery gave her an edginess that sets her apart from the other socialites. Meat, poison, oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->