1883-1971 Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Just finished reading this book called Chanel Solitaire by Claude Baillen. Focuses very much on her thoughts and musings. She refers to some buttons as looking like poisoned chocolates :D

Two pictures I hadn't seen before.

The first is my favourite , Coco in a tree !

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 1 001.jpg
    1 001.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 14
could someone please post or scan a picture of the start print dress Coco designed for Misia Sert? Is there any more infomation about the dress and why it was made? :flower:

You are in luck , I'm in the uni library now so thanks to Boomer (he identified the book I'd read quite a few so I couldn't remember which one it was in) it's taken from Chanel : The Couturiere at Work.

Not sure if it is Misia Sert in the photo though , it looks a lot different to early photos I've seen of her , the lady looks younger.

Attachments

• 1 002.jpg
    1 002.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 27
^^ Thanks so much!! We finally get a picture of it!! :wink: Isn't that a great book? I read it over and over, along with The Beautiful Fall, which gave me so much more understanding of Karl and where he has taken Chanel ...

I found another obscure book called Mademoiselle Chanel by Pierre Galante, which is very interesting as he actually talked to her several times and got to interview many people who knew and worked with her over the years; much different angle than the other dry historical research books floating around...^_^

Also, for those of us on the lunatic fringe of reading. I found a book called Misa- The Life of Misia Sert by Arthur Gold and Robert Fizdale. It is pretty well written and interesting on it's own but makes a detailed case for how Chanel would have never become CHANEL without Misia's help and influence- Coco wasn't quite as self made as she liked to pretend... :wink:

There was a film made from CHANEL SOLITAIRE in 1981, btw....It is very hard to find (I looked for several years before I found one) and only on VHS tape...I managed to transfer it to DVD for safety sake since the tape was deteriorating...I would say it is just an OK film, kind of dark and some of the story would not make much sense if you were not familiar with her life beforehand...Let's trust that the upcoming wave of Coco films will be better done! B)

cred:vintagemagazines.com/newebay

Last edited by a moderator:
Misa- The Life of Misia Sert Chanel would have never become CHANEL without Misia's help and influence- Coco wasn't quite as self made as she liked to pretend... :wink:

i thought that was a really interesting book!

there's more about her that might interest you here. not self-made is right.

Misia is a very interesting character! Reverdy was in love with her, besides she was painted by many artits, Mallarmé, Cocteau, Morand... wrote about her...
She was a very important influence to Coco. Besides she was the symbol of "La Revue Blanche".

There was a film made from CHANEL SOLITAIRE in 1981, btw....It is very hard to find (I looked for several years before I found one) and only on VHS tape...I managed to transfer it to DVD for safety sake since the tape was deteriorating...I would say it is just an OK film, kind of dark and some of the story would not make much sense if you were not familiar with her life beforehand...Let's trust that the upcoming wave of Coco films will be better done! B)

Yeah that film came up when I was searching on Amazon. Have you seen the poster , Audrey Tatou looks amazing !

I'll see if I can order the Misia book , most Chanel books don't really mention much they talk about her influence , being a muse etc and how she was unusual as she was a close female friend which Coco never seemed to keep.

341-3.jpg

Coco Chanel, French top designer. Paris, in 1937.

99-15.jpg

Chanel's dress. Paris, March 1937.

© Lipnitzki / Roger-Viollet

parisenimages.fr

675-13.jpg

Chanel style. Paris, 1936.

675-14.jpg

Chanel suit. Paris, 1936.

675-15.jpg

Chanel ensemble. Paris, March, 1938.

675-16.jpg

Chanel suit. Paris, May, 1935.

parisenimages.fr

OMG, that second one (on the street from 1936) is hideous!! You'd be thrown out of design school if you presented that!! I guess even Coco had her bad days, but...Just unbelievably bad!! :lol:
But thanks for all the great pictures!! :flower:

790-15.jpg

Coco Chanel, Paris, 1937.

790-16.jpg

Paris, 1936.

795-5.jpg

Paris, 1936.

855-7.jpg

Paris, 1936.

855-8.jpg

Paris, 1936.

855-9.jpg

Ball of waltz, organized by the prince of Faucigny-Lucinge and the baron of Guinzbourg.
Paris, July 1934.

855-10.jpg

Coco Chanel and Fulco di Verdura, Italian jeweller.
Paris, 1937.

855-11.jpg

Coco Chanel and Fulco di Verdura, Italian jeweller.
Paris, 1937.

855-12.jpg

Paris, 1937.

855-15.jpg

Paris, 1936.

858-8.jpg

Coco Chanel and a model.
Paris, August 1958.

parisenimages.fr

1756-4.jpg

Paris, 1936.

1932-7.jpg

Chanel's dress.
Paris, about 1935.

2174-4.jpg

Chanel's evening dress.
Paris, August 1935.

2174-5.jpg

Chanel, evening dress.
Paris, November 1935.

2174-6.jpg

Chanel, evening dress.
Paris, September 1937.

2180-12.jpg

Paris, 1937.

2445-1.jpg

Chanel's evening dress.
Paris, about 1930.

parisenimages.fr

Thanks again!! I keep being reminded of how she had so many rich and famous lovers and, in all honesty, she was a pretty average looking woman, although needless to say, well dressed and elegant! But how she had all of these incredible men falling at her feet attests to her genius and charm- she must have been amazing woman to be around!!:flower:

On the subject of Boomers comment-
one more...

credit absolutevintage.com

Attachments

• coco chanel.JPG
    coco chanel.JPG
    422.9 KB · Views: 25
0127_1_lg.jpg

0127_2_lg.jpg
A Gabrielle Chanel silk crepe romain `little black dress', circa 1926-27, labelled Gabrielle Chanel, Paris, numbered 2924, the bodice with square neckline, apron-like floating bodice-panel which ties at the back, over finely pleated skirt, both with picot edging, fastened by pres-studs over the shoulders, `Chanel' The Metropolitan Museum of Art catalogue p.66-68, 70-71 for similar simple little nothing day dresses with pleated skirt detailing. One also has an integral over-blouse.
kerrytaylorauctions

0135_1_lg.jpg
0135_2_lg.jpg

0135_7_lg.jpg
A Chanel lace evening gown, early 1930s, unlabelled, of oyster-pink lace overlaid onto tulle in complex radiating bands to the skirt deepening towards the hem, undulating horizontal bands to the front and back bodice with picot edged graduated flounces of lace to the hips which converge into a point at the back, two scarf-like panels of lace fall from the rear shoulders, the hem stiffened with horsehair to give the necessary volume.

Provenance: Mrs Annie Bodmer. For examples of two similar though not identical lace gowns by Chanel cf `Chanel' The Metropolitan Museum, p.94-95, 96-98, A gown of identical bodice design but with three quarter-length skirt was sold by Sotheby's lot 103, 24th November 1999 as part of a large group of Chanel gowns, property of an Italian Noblewoman, illustrated on p.25 of the catalogue.
kerrytaylorauctions

^^ Thanks again!! :flower: I had no idea she once used her whole name on a label...very surprising..:unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->