Alexa Chung for Madewell

thanks for the update diamondsea! im guessing it is going to be expensive!

^ You're welcome! There will also be a presentation next Monday at the Bowery Hotel, as part of New York Fashion Week.

Early photos from the presentation

twitter.com/refinery29

you guys have no idea how much I want *NEED* these clothes. Its all just so perfect.

I love the blue jeans with the polkadot roll-up cuff! I think Alexa did a good job!

4225_i1_NYLON%20Alexa%20Chung-3.jpg
4225_i2_NYLON%20Alexa%20Chung-5.jpg

4225_i3_NYLON%20Alexa%20Chung-12.jpg
4225_i4_NYLON%20Alexa%20Chung-14.jpg

4225_i5_NYLON%20Alexa%20Chung-13.jpg
4225_i6_NYLON%20Alexa%20Chung-16.jpg

4225_i7_NYLON%20Alexa%20Chung-8.jpg
4225_i8_NYLON%20Alexa%20Chung-18.jpg

nylonmag.com

it looks like only alexa can pull of her clothes. none of these girls look good - they look like they are playing dress up with their mom's ill-fitting clothes.

i like the velvet but the dungarees, clogs are too much

We sat down with British Vogue cover girl Alexa Chung at the launch of her fall 2010 collection for Madwell last night at the Bowery Hotel. Chung and Madewell design director Kin Ying Lee took us through the collection—Alexa-inspired railroad striped denim, velvet dresses with Peter Pan collars, striped pullovers, high-waisted stretch denim, stacked heel desert boots—and talked about one memorable leotard that didn't make the final cut:

How was it working together on the collection and how did you take on designing as partners?

Alexa: Well, I can't take credit for the hard work at all because I just took sketches in and talked about them. Kin was magical and made it all exist. It was good fun from my end. . . maybe not from hers. I drew really slightly rubbish drawings and then said, 'but can it have dots on it?'

Kin: The most important things is that the ideas are there. The great thing about Alexa is that she came with really solid and confident ideas. She has such a strong vision for what the collection should be, and we really embraced it and worked to develop it. I hope you can see it works and looks really great together.

A: It was cool because we all have the same style as well, so it wasn't like someone was going, 'no, I think we should do it in fucia instead'. We all liked the same references and we all like the same color palettes, so it was pretty easy.

How did it work combining your personal fashion philosophies with Madwell's style?

A: Luckily enough I think we all come from a really similar place, which is why it works so well. I quite like a laid back, eclectic mix of clothes and they make really classic, timeless pieces, so it was a good fit.

Is there something in particular you were dying to design?

A: I really wanted to make a perfect pair of jeans because I find it hard to find jeans that fit me. I have really weird proportions, and my legs are ridiculous. So I made high-waisted, washed out black ones. I also wanted to make dugarees, like dungaree dresses and dungaree shorts. And this coat I'm wearing. It's actually a bit weird to see everyone walking around in the clothes today because they all look like me. It's a very egotistical exercise.

Did you and Kin ever disagree on a particular piece?

A: There was one weird leotard—a denim thing—I tried to push on Kin. I was thinking in my head that I could make a stage outfit for a lead singer but it ended up looking like a weird circus child.

What's one fashion item you can't live without?

A: A navy blue pea coat

Any fashion week advice?

A: Carry flat shoes

How does it feel to be named fashion's favorite girl by British Vogue?

A: It's so flattering and really ridiculous actually.
coutorture.com

I really like it, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. You could find this at any hipster store. I do love the jeans with polka dot roll-ups, though. I have to get me a pair of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->