Alexander McQueen S/S 11 Paris

@IloveDiorHomme
Lee McQueen is the name of the designer. It's not a shortened form for Alexander. Basically Alexander is his second name and even though people called him Lee, he decided to call the house Alexander McQueen after Isabella Blow (style icon and McQueen's mentor) advised him to. But his name was always Lee, not Alexander.

Thanks I knew this, I'm just pointing the fact that since he's gone, everybody is calling him by his real name like if they were buddies. I don't like this. When Lagerfeld will die it will be " oooooh Karl Otto " instead of Karl ?

of all things, does it matter whether someone calls him Lee or Alexander :rolleyes::lol:

@IloveDiorHomme

As far as i know, people who work in fashion industry were always calling him Lee McQueen when they were talking about him as a designer and weren't reffering to the firm even if they didn't know him personally.
I agree with you that more people started to call him Lee after his death though. I bet most of them didn't even know that Alexander wasn't his first name.
Personally, i don't really care about how people call him. He was a god of avant garde and a genius of fashion and i think everyone agrees on that.

Hiya .. quick reminder people, lets stay on topic ... and discuss the collection. Thank you!

I hope Sarah doesn't totally abandon the idea of razor sharp tailoring...as it was a trademark for McQueen, of sorts. However I think the collection is beautiful and a great start to a new beginning.

How can this collection get the rave reviews it's getting? It is so terribly heavy handed.

i thought Sarah Burton is really appropriate person for Alexander McQueen.
but alexander's amazing and spectacle design is shrink for sure. but i think this type of Alexander McQueen works out!

How can this collection get the rave reviews it's getting? It is so terribly heavy handed.

i simply fail to see how this collection can even be called heavy handed. Sarah has delivered an excellent collection befitting
of the label, the pieces still possess the same masterful execution and mysticism we have so long attributed to the brand and
i daresay the clothes now have a more distinct female touch; it's been quite a long time since i saw such a hopeful looking
collection from McQueen. it's as if Sarah has unshackled the brand from the gloominess that has pervaded McQueen's designs
ever since Isabela Blow's death, and spun this collection from Lee's old patterns using brand new thread.

i simply fail to see how this collection can even be called heavy handed. Sarah has delivered an excellent collection befitting
of the label, the pieces still possess the same masterful execution and mysticism we have so long attributed to the brand and
i daresay the clothes now have a more distinct female touch; it's been quite a long time since i saw such a hopeful looking
collection from McQueen. it's as if Sarah has unshackled the brand from the gloominess that has pervaded McQueen's designs
ever since Isabela Blow's death, and spun this collection from Lee's old patterns using brand new thread.

There should be more focus on the tailoring rather than on turning it into a cheerful earth mother fest.

Obviously, a large part of McQueen was a dark mood that seemed to lack melancholy but instead had force. Of course, that's a dangerous combination but it is also his line's essence.

I don't think that it's just the mood that's heavy handed, and it really isn't subtle in it's nymph-like softness. It must be said that some of the designs/details lack a lightness of touch despite their softer outward appearance. Some of the pieces are honestly a little clumsy looking, or just plain over-designed. Dark and oppressive as McQueen's work could potentially be he knew how to finesse the details.

I really like the collection.

I think it needs to be looked at separately from past McQueen collections, as Sarah is now the creative director there will, of course, be some changes in the styling and production. Although I agree that the tailoring has been sharper in previous collections, I think Sarah is probably finding her feet as creative director of such a well known brand. Hopefully she will produce pieces that are just as desirable as those produced by Alexander, but it will be interesting to see what she can do herself.

I am impressed, stunning collection and she did McQueen proud!

i'm probably gonna get bashed for saying this (didn't read the whole thread on the collection, so idk if i'm the first)... but this collections was not good. everything reminded me of every other single collections mcqueen has put out... from the very beginning to the latest show of his... the silhoutes. the styling. the prints even!

i understand if she wants to keep the mcqueen image alive, but at least make it a little different with your own touch so we can see what YOU can do!!

@ mexcrazyjes

Don't feel bad. You are not alone on this. I made pretty much the same observations in one of my previous comments. ^_^

I think it's a bit too soon to criticise her for this in my opinion, I think we need to give her a bit of time to settle in and explore where the limits are in terms of adding her own identity. I think people would have been baying for her blood if she tried to make the collection too 'her', I think what she's done is kept it true to McQueen while softening it somewhat. I think it'll be 4 or 5 collections until we really see her character in the collection, and who knows, we might have seen it already through McQueen's designs previously.

I think she's damned if she does [make changes], damned if she doesn't. I think discounting everything, look at the collection itself and I think it's magnificent.

Don't worry, your thoughts are as valid as mine, it's nice we can dissect the collection and all take something different from it, whether we love it or not. It was always going to divide opinion, Sarah Burton had big shoes to fill, I wouldn't like to be her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marinamelolp
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->