Alexander McQueen S/S 11 Paris

rosalynn- totally agree with you.

I think Sarah's done a wonderful job, especially under the circumstances.. There's enough of Lee in it to stay true to the brand for her first season but I can really see where Sarah's designs come into their own. I'm not a huge fan of the print but think the design of all the pieces if fabulous. Love the attention to detail, the shoes and the belted bits. Wonderful!

xx

I'm sorry, but I'm going to be harsh on Sarah Burton's first runway collection for McQueen: It's shockingly bad.

The first few looks out were badly tailored; this alone prooves that McQueen is not with us anymore, add some frayed edges and you get scruffy clothes, not ethereal mysteriousness.
This was followed by a stream of dresses all at the same length, all basically the same design with seen-before prints, the models all crippled by brick-like shoes.
There are the feathers, there are the folded shoulders, there are the big finale dresses, there are the hipster trousers, but where is McQueen?
McQueen was famous for always having a solid inspiration, the entire show and all of the clothes were always based around it, there is nothing here, just a bad attempt at prooving McQueen can live on through someone else.

Honestly, I don't know what any of us were expecting, and therefore this wasn't a way of pleasing everyone or being mind-blowing, i mean seriously mind-blowing like Fall 2006.
It seems like a sweet tribute to the man, with some beautiful pieces, but quite under-whelming and with no idea other than his past work. I admire that she knows the roots well, but it's not about who can do what he did with the most physical semblance, it's about continuing his spirit.
McQueen was about epic, ethereal, innovative, poetic, impeccably tailored clothes without too much thought, really just coming from the gut and heart. He isn't Chanel, his clothes were complicated and intricate and could not further be elaborated like a Chanel suit or 2.55 bag can be. It really is about the spirit with one.
The collection is a rehash of his old ideas without, like said above me, a central theme. There isn't the thought or emotion in the clothes, and because we've seen it all there is no free interpretation.
But then again, I'm not sure what else she would have done for this debut collection. Fashion the industry, the idea, is all about New and moving forward, but it is made by people, humans, who hate change. In theory it should this debut should be fresh and new, but I'm sure it's the business, ie human, side that prevented that.

And the biggest issue I have? The collection shows us nothing of what Sarah Burton is. Is she or isn't she a poor man's McQueen? Is she or isn't she capable of channeling his spirit? Is she or isn't she worthy of this job? Based on this collection, no one can have any idea.

i just wanted to let everyone know, in case you're in rome this week, that gente has the feathered dress on display till november 5th. it's so beautiful and perfectly crafted and the shoes are a dream.

my own (crappy) photo. i just went in to shop, i would've taken my dslr with me if i was expecting to find that gown.

( hosted on my flickr.com/photos/mistressf )

First 3 white pieces - love. After that, damn. What an awful start.
She basically didn't design anything. This is all McQueen's archive clothes turned into something.. less magical. Sad.

From where do you know what she did and didn't design? And what did you expect? That she turned 180 and moved from Lee's ideology?

She did a great job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marinamelolp
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->