Alexander McQueen F/W 13.14 Paris

very very high couture but still i dont get the mcqueen DNA

Yawn...
Same old same, season after season-- unflattering, uninspired recycling. The pleated looks are heavy and boring and the Elizabethian looks are dull. The only saving grace to the collection: accessories. I could see some detail shots revealing some prettiness but this is a far cry from Alexander's point-by-point dreams he revealed in his collections. One of the heavily embellished bodices is even countoured to look like the prints used in S/S 2010.

it's not that i dislike this i just dislike the redundancy. 6 years ago this probably would have been the best thing we saw. and i know mcqueen had a real knack for history but i don't recall it ever being quite this blatant. for somebody who was at mcqueen's side for as long as burton was,certainly she should have more answers than this. would love to see her experiment a bit more. we saw some great stuff from her in the pre-autumn collection,i wish that essence would have carried over into the mainline.

I love this, even though it is redundant. They look like chess pieces...

It looks exuberant. The details are great. I agree that this is very redundant, though.

Redundant but supremely beautiful, the chainmail dresses are beyond.

The glove thing looks like four pairs of eyes staring at me. Seriously, where's the "omph" that was found in the FW11 collection?

The difference between Alexander and Sarah is that he made extravagant clothes whereas she makes extravagant over-embellished costumes. This collection is one more example of that...who cares anyway, these are only for editorials, not a single one of these gowns will see a retail floor.

I wonder who would drag themselves to a 10-outfit show consisted of looks we've seen in the past. Alexander McQueen used to bring future elements to the collections even when they were inspired from the past. This is redundant, repetitive and simply - costumy.

For editorial work I can only dream to ever be able to use a McQueen dress. stunning for an editorial story and so beautiful on the eye, cannot deny that. So many of the shows on during fashion weeks have clothes that are wearable its nice to see some magic and extravagence at the Alexander McQueen show.

Wow. She really is a horrific designer. Her concept of clothes making is incredibly limited, hidden behind an illusion of complexity. I don't care how many hours or how many pearls, shells, sequins or whatever make up each garment, the simple fact remains that Sarah Burton is incapable of creating a collection that doesn't consist entirely of hourglass, belted waist silhouettes. I don't understand?

I also find her vision of McQueen an incredibly shallow one. Does she really not think that McQueen was so much more than the showpieces? He was an incredible tailor, dressmaker, patternmaker and draper. Only idiots on Tumblr think McQueen means platform shoes, enormous ballgowns and some headpieces engulfing the wearer. Apparently Sarah is one of those herself. Look back to any of his collections prior to 2008 and you will find that most collections were made up of generally wearable clothes - that's what was so exciting about McQueen - he was able to make beautiful, realistic clothes seem like magic through his showmanship skills.

I don't think Sarah is capable of that. She just doesn't seem interesting, imaginative or clever enough.

I think she should step down before she loses her dignity if she hasn't misplaced it somewhere else already.

10 completely non commercial looks? So they'll be relying on those awful scarfs and the same ol' handbags to pay the bills :rolleyes:

...but I do see the beauty in this. Would make amazing costumes for season 6-7 of Game of Thrones...

Beautiful, yet boring. It is time she moved on. Also looks too much on the costume side.

Staawwwppp.

It's beautiful, majestic and up close, those pieces must look stunning but even though I am sucker for anything Elizabethan, those pieces will have to be seriously edited down for commercial use. I mean, we can argue about the definition of Haute couture all we want, but Ready-to-Wear is exactly as it sounds; unique yet wearable [thus sellable] fashion. How does the brand turn a profit anyway?..

PS. The pre-Fall collection was better. In comparison, much more approachable.

it's not that i dislike this i just dislike the redundancy. 6 years ago this probably would have been the best thing we saw. and i know mcqueen had a real knack for history but i don't recall it ever being quite this blatant. for somebody who was at mcqueen's side for as long as burton was,certainly she should have more answers than this. would love to see her experiment a bit more. we saw some great stuff from her in the pre-autumn collection,i wish that essence would have carried over into the mainline.
Exactly! That's exactly the case. McQueen's take on Victorian, or Edwardian or Elizabethan or whichever section of history he happened to be looking at was never so heavy handed. You could see the traces of historical dress but it never outweighed the modernity.

Besides, he was never, ever this one note.

The shame of the whole situation is that, thanks to accessories like those signature scarves and the showroom stuff like the countless iterations on classic sheaths, knitted dresses and wasp-waisted jackets, she'll remain at the helm because McQueen does make money. It's just the creative side of things that's severely lacking these days.

In a perfect world she would design for the runway as she designs for the pre-collections and fill the pre-collections with all the basic, marketable stuff they spin off every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, she out-embellished Olivier R. o_o

It's beautiful and intricate and all that, but it's just so repetitive. And this time around it's also completely unwearable and over the top costume-y.

A collection of only ten looks and she still manages to make one half a slight alteration of the other half. Where's the creativity?

You know, it's quite obvious that their accessories must be selling like hot cakes. Create a collection around a theme and slab prints revolving around said theme on handbags, scarves and body-con minidresses and you've got a decent cash cow.

She doesn't know anything about restraint.
Only her pre-fall or resort collections have some appealing clothes presented in them

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->