Alexander Wang

His collection here in Sydney is pretty limited so I was surprised when a shop actually stocked his stuff and has I was going through the rack I wasn't particularly interested in the runway stuff like the mesh sweater felt like those metal scrubs used for pans and it looked hideous but his tees and tank are pretty much a guilty pleasure cause I brought one and they are so soft :D

Question;has anyone brought his apparel stuff and how long did it last? I'm guessing, not long?

^ Hey MrsJamesDean,
where did u buy the tees from? i wanted to get one and i didnt know where they stock it in sydney? and also what is the price range for the tees/tanks?

Well you can get them from Bloodorange and I got the tank w/pockets for $129 and it pretty much ranges from that price...

His collection here in Sydney is pretty limited so I was surprised when a shop actually stocked his stuff and has I was going through the rack I wasn't particularly interested in the runway stuff like the mesh sweater felt like those metal scrubs used for pans and it looked hideous but his tees and tank are pretty much a guilty pleasure cause I brought one and they are so soft :D

Question;has anyone brought his apparel stuff and how long did it last? I'm guessing, not long?

Oh my god you can get his stuff in Australia?! Do they have the denim/leather combination jacket (Spring 2009)? And if so, how much is it? :woot:^_^

No I didn't see it if I did I would assume the prince range would be $1200-1500 if not even more I suppose.

I like what he does, but his stuff is pretty expensive, not worth it at all.

true say, I've got a closet full of wang inspirations, I'd probly splurge on one of his dresses at the most. Never a shirt or bottom, but his pieces are highly inspirational

I don't really think Alexander Wang is that expensive. Yes, it's not cheap, but it's an appropriate price point for where he is in his career at the moment.

it's an appropriate price point for where he is in his career at the moment.

I think the pricepoint should ultimately reflect the quality and the sophistication of the product, not the esteem in the industry - You necessarily get to the same prices that the fashion houses are charging, when you consider production, sample development and fabric costs as well as other expenses.

I think the pricepoint should ultimately reflect the quality and the sophistication of the product, not the esteem in the industry - You necessarily get to the same prices that the fashion houses are charging, when you consider production, sample development and fabric costs as well as other expenses.

That is true, but I think he's on a par with a lot of other labels in the same pricepoint though. In Selfridges he sits with labels of a similar price and quality. And I don't think ~£550 for a dress is unreasonable

Backstage at his Spring 2010 RTW showing

ohnsx2.jpg

I thought the new collection was exquisite. It took a while to get the beauty of it though. Well for me it did anyways! :smile:
(nymag/fashion.com)

I think Im going to check out internet for videos of the show, but I really liked what I saw in some of the models threads. (And like the way the girls were put together like the hair and makeup :smile: )

From blog.luisaviaroma.com:

It was nearly a mission getting to Alexander Wang's Spring-Summer fashion show in New York last Saturday. Apart from the fact that it was pouring and windy, the location on 55th street and 12 avenue is not well connected at all: no trains, no taxi cabs. Reaching Pier 94 required a long, long walk. But it was well worth it! Wang stuck to what he does best: deconstruct tee shirts, dresses and tee shirt dresses, draped and looped cotton basics. Socks were cut way at the back of the legs. His girls were natural and sexy, with girly long braids and soft, fresh makeup. "It's all about American heritage, classic looks, classic sportswear, all the things you do at school like football, sports and all those outdoor things like going camping." Wang said about the collection. Stefano Tonchi, Diane Von Furstenberg, Anna Wintour, Rachel Mc Adams and Devon Aoka sat in the front row, but it was 13-year old blogger Tava Gevinson who got all the attention.
s640x640

s640x640

pics also from blog.luisaviaroma.com

hey guys
does anyone own the leather perforated leggings/pants by Alexander Wang?
My friend's pair just tore! And she has only worn them twice! The rip is near the crotch and it about 4inches. Any suggestions on what to do now?

From http://www.dazeddigital.com

The hype machine can make or break a designer and in the case of Alexander Wang, it has done him a tantamount of good, with his show now established as one of the firm hot tickets on the New York schedule and a rising generation of fashionistas (partiularly evident on the scores of fashion blogs singing his praise) waiting with baited breath to see what he has come up with. They probably would have liked it all the same, if he showed up with a collection that was a repetition of what he has been known for in the last few seasons; namely elements like studs, leather and black. That Wang took a turn and headed towards the direction of subverting American sportswear and classic pieces goes to show that he's not about to rest on his zippered and ripped up laurels and that his aesthetic as a designer can evolve over time. After Wang's show, he was of course inundated with press, so we all took a breather and sat down with Wang a few days later to talk about his fanbase, and of course sports.

Dazed Digital: What did you want to achieve this collection in relation to the last one?
Alexander Wang: I think it's always about expanding the language of what people are used to seeingl. We really made our stamp on the body conscious, zipper, studded. For me, it's about giving our girl something else to be excited about and to take her into different areas. That was the starting point. Not to say that she's lost that completely but to expand her horizons. I really wanted to think about classic American sportswear, and the idea of things feeling a bit more timeless with history behind it; like the classic trench coat, the army parka or things to do with Americana - being outdoors, camping, uniforms, boyscouts.
There were also fencing references, rugby, basically a lot of athleticism. You can see the touches of inspiration but it's all still real clothes. It's not re-inventing the wheel, it's still a jacket, a top, a pants that you can easily incorporate into your wardrobe.

DD: Obviously football played into it quite a bit. Did you actually play?
Alexander Wang: No I didn't! Part of my inspirations lie in things I'm not so familiar with and also things I am familiar with and it's a dichotomy between the two and not being restricted by what you know.

DD: How do you feel about that aforementioned aesthetic of studs, leather etc being filtered down
Alexander Wang: Yeah definitely! It's not a bad thing that people take it and make it their own whether it is by me or by whoever. In order to evolve and grow and to be a designers that's constantly relevant, you have to keep a challenging yourself into what's different and what's new.

DD: Was that related to the bigger venue at Pier 94?
Alexander Wang: We always try to find a place to make it our home. This venue enabled us to do whatever we want to and if you notice we didn't fill it up even though it's so big. It wasn't about going into a bigger location so we could pack the house. It's always about keeping the vision and we wanted people there to be people who really understand the clothes.

DD: You get labelled as New York's fashion wonderkid - how do you feel about these labels? Do you feel more pressure because of it?
Alexander Wang: Not really! Everyone needs to find their labels and especially for the press to create stories. It's not something I'm complaining about but it's not something that affects the way that I design. It's not like, "Oh we have to do this, we have to do that" and at the end of the day reviews are reviews. Everyone's going to have opinions but we do what we want to do.

DD: Why do you think that you, in particular have captured this style moment that has won you such a hardcore fanbase?
Alexander Wang: I'm so honoured by it all! Maybe it's my age that I have this closer connection to the next generation of how information is communicated. It's something that's very new! If you look at bloggers, they are very much in my age range. Maybe there's something in my collection, a point of view I'm offering that they see something that there that they can relate to.

DD: What else are you expanding into?
Alexander Wang: For men's we've just launched the T line for S/S 10 as well as sunglasses with Linda Farrow. There's an expansion for women's T line too as we're including bottoms for the first time.
Australian Merino Wool was a big part of the collection. Especially in the fabrication of the pieces like in the bonded lining of the trenchcoat pieces or the wooly texture of the football shoulder dresses (the sheer chiffon flowing from the cropped sweaters was inspired by Cher from Clueless)

DD: If you could sum up your collection in one word or with one emotion running through it, what would it be?
Alexander Wang: I never feel like my collection is just one thing or one word as there are so many elements!
Hmmm.... I'd like it to be classic in a way.
Direct link to article: http://www.dazeddigital.com/Fashion/article/4727/1/Alexander_Wangs_Home_Run_

Anyone surprised he didn't play American Football? ^_^

I bought his "Classic T-shirt with Pocket" from his T by Alexander Wang line online. I'm absolutely in love with it. I was genuinly surprised by the quality of the shirt. When I put it on it's so soft on my skin, and it is made very well. I'm definately buying more from his T line.

Has anyone here tried taking their T pieces to the dry cleaners? If so, how did they turn out? The label doesn't say if it is safe or not to do so, but I really want to, as I am tired of hand-washing sooo many pieces each week (I live in this line). TIA for any tips. :flower:

have any men bought stuff from his t line?
im a slim guy,and want to get the boyfriend tee..
usually wear a medium in mens, what size should i get for wang's tees?

^ I would get a Large if you want it to drape and look relaxed..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->