Alexander Wang

Men, are you ready for Alexander Wang’s menswear debut?

The young designer is set to unveil the collection at the end of the month as part of his T label. WWD reports that Wang will expand the collection beyond t-shirts and basics before his New York Fashion Week show for his namesake collection.

In other Wang news, word on the street has a new stylist set to finalise the looks for September’s NYFW show. Out is model friend, Erin Wasson and in is Karl Templer who’s portfolio includes styling for Calvin Klein. If it’s true, it’s sad news for Wasson, but she still has modeling and her own line of jewellery to keep her busy.
www.sassybella.com
Can't wait for both!! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am consistently.....flabbergasted by the success of this guy. The rate at which he's expanded his company is shocking and more than a little concerning especially since I have to question the longevity of a designer with zero design credibility. His clothing either looks like Rick Owens, old Helmut Lang, Alaia, or American Apparel...and it's all made from synthetic fibres and manufactured in China or Vietnam (even his bags are made in China). I guess his rabid fans are too busy uploading vacuous, inane ramblings to their blogs to notice.....

To be fair, I don't have a problem, per se, with anything made in China, and I do think a lot of the negativity surrounding products that are has more than a little to do with attitudes that could be described as xenophobic. BUT one moves their production to China (as opposed to the usual suspects for 'luxury' goods like France or Italy) for one reason and that's to save money, and I don't think he's passing the savings on to you...

And what bothers me so much is that genuinely talented designers like say, Veronique Branquinho or Martine Sitbon are forced to close their businesses due to lack of sales and this dude turns around and opens an online shop.

It also bothers me that Dries van Noten has some knitwear made in China and continues to charge what he does for it. So talented designers are guilty as well!

I am consistently.....flabbergasted by the success of this guy. The rate at which he's expanded his company is shocking and more than a little concerning especially since I have to question the longevity of a designer with zero design credibility. His clothing either looks like Rick Owens, old Helmut Lang, Alaia, or American Apparel...and it's all made from synthetic fibres and manufactured in China or Vietnam (even his bags are made in China). I guess his rabid fans are too busy uploading vacuous, inane ramblings to their blogs to notice.....

To be fair, I don't have a problem, per se, with anything made in China, and I do think a lot of the negativity surrounding products that are has more than a little to do with attitudes that could be described as xenophobic. BUT one moves their production to China (as opposed to the usual suspects for 'luxury' goods like France or Italy) for one reason and that's to save money, and I don't think he's passing the savings on to you...

And what bothers me so much is that genuinely talented designers like say, Veronique Branquinho or Martine Sitbon are forced to close their businesses due to lack of sales and this dude turns around and opens an online shop.

It also bothers me that Dries van Noten has some knitwear made in China and continues to charge what he does for it. So talented designers are guilty as well!

I wonder if in todays market moving to production to china is more of a way to keep from raising prices, than a way to lower them?

While I agree that he hasnt really made anything very creative or revolutionary, he understands very well what women want to wear and how they want to feel in clothing. If someone else can make something beautiful but it isnt wearable, whats the point?

Last edited by a moderator:
I question sometimes how many women were really waiting for his short, tight, jersey dresses... That dress from a couple pages back still makes me shiver if I consider that on a person that is not stick-thin as a model.

Unfortunately in this industry, authority and credibility are issues that come with money too. It helps that Alexander Wang's background is well-situated and that his parents have been in the clothing industry prior to him starting his venture... So in a way, all the resources were in place when he started out his line, naturally with enough investment, you can fastly take the next step up, branch out with accessories lines and place yourself with the right stylists and magazines.

What's obscure is when you take into consideration that his name is named in the same breath with people like Ohne Titel, Peter Pilotto and previous designers that have been nominated for the Swiss textiles award. It is one thing to successfully find a market niche and address it, but such a platform, which is meant to nurture and help grow independent, young talent, should definitely not make someone win who obviously wouldn't need (and deserve) it.

Also, that whole talking of who makes women feel what... I don't quite buy into that, after all, people hardly ever buy complete silhouettes by one designer. The market of gauze-y, slightly slouchy jerseys is full of both designers and 'contemporary' collections addressing this market. There really are only marginal differences between what he does (and also what The Row is doing) and what is already on the market. Placing the merchandise in a surrounding of key retailers, journalists and quick-adopters eventually makes a large influence on the hot-ness of a brand. I wouldn't exactly find Rad Hourani's designs less easy or comfortable to wear, it's just less exposed and available for people to give it a try on their own.

wow i must say it is never easy to take pictures of myself and post them on this website. most of the world isn't as stick-thin as a model, like myself. i really like alexander wang's line & vision, THAT is why I bought the dress and posted it on this site to see what people thought of the dress, NOT to have my weight critiqued from some boy half way across the world who "shivers" from the sight of me.

I question sometimes how many women were really waiting for his short, tight, jersey dresses... That dress from a couple pages back still makes me shiver if I consider that on a person that is not stick-thin as a model.

I think judging from how I commented on your request before, you can tell that I did so in a very polite and considered manner. This time I don't see it being much different, other than that I find his designs to be unflattering for people that do not happen to be as thin as the girl from fashiontoast.com or the models that are strutting down his runway. Having said that, you admitted the main reason you bought the dress was that you like the line and vision of the Alexander Wang collection, that underlines my assumption that the 'cool factor' makes people want a certain garment, not the way it is made and how the cut and material flatters the body.

There is a very fine line with body-concious dressing and I think Alexander Wang doesn't understand that t-shirt thin stretch viscose dresses that cling tight on the waist and hips are naturally not nice to look at. A dress by Hervé Léger or Alaia is crafted, albeit the heavy stretch, from thicker knit which wouldn't make one look 'undressed' but rather straighten the contours in a very flattering way.

I have the creme jersey draped dress and even though I'm not stick thin I've gotten several compliments on it. Spanx make a world of a difference.

Ive bought the tank top in grey,the motorcycle denim jacket and the silk crepe combo jacket.
Am I becoming a wang addict...I think so lol

This is my friend wearing my denim jacket lol she looks so cute^_^

Attachments

• mini-SSA40321.JPG
    mini-SSA40321.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 26
^^ Kenysha ...

don't want to sound 'mean' ... but do you seriously think you will wear this after these past months ?
and it looks really cheap ! the quality, the cut ...

the date and season is stamped onto it !

how much did you pay this ?

Why are so many people so quick to dismiss him as a new designer? I am just curious?

^for me Alexander Wang would be best as a stylist than a designer ...

He cares too much about the 'right-hype' look and not enough about the tailoring, the cut etc.
IMO, if he remains in the same aesthetic (grunge, rock) he'll be forgotten in two years or so ...

Being trendy and hype is not enough to be a designer ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaKel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->