All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

internship

i read from several post from people aspiring to pursue a career in fashion magazines, and mentions of interning in those respective magazines. how do yo ugo about applying for internship, and what is required? is it a paid?

Internships are not paid ... and usually arranged as part of a class that you are taking. Sometimes the school has a list of companies that will take interns or you can find it on your own, too. You usually have a certain number of hours to complete during the semester or term and the person, for whom you work, for needs to complete a couple of reviews and an attendance record. Sometimes you can find internships without being in a class ... but it's hard to do ... because your commitment is not as likely ... your grade does not depend on your participation.

In any internship, expect to do the grunt work only ... running errands, answering phones, lugging stuff around, getting coffee. You will learn just by being there and observing what is going on but don't expect to participate in the nuts and bolts of the business. You will make valuable contacts, if you do a good job and have a positive attitude ... and contacts are very important in this industry.

hi guyss i have an interview next week at a pr place that specializes in fashion. i want to make a good first impression and i was wondering what should i wear... do you guys think a suit is too boring for the industry?

cassavetes said:
:unsure: Hi, I am interning with an up-an-coming designer in NY who was from the top fashion school and her stuff is carried in the top stores, it's been several months, but I learnt nothing.

Everytime I went to her studio, I didn't have to take off my jacket as I stepped in because I was immediately sent downtown or uptown, former for dropping off things to the showroom and PR office, latter for dropping off patterns or picking up samples. I lugged bolts of fabric in rain while they could have given me a ride because as I got back, they just drove back from the same area moments ago. She also sent her interns to return her sweater to Barneys or books to bookstores.

Please tell me is it what's supposed to be like interning for designers? Be it Dior or H&M? I really don't mind working for no money, but it irks me working for no knowledge. I literally had to squeeze the knowlege out of them, asking"why this why that" and got the shortest reply possible.

They have no problem finding new slaves though. They don't seem to care and I have never seen them giving anything -- free or reduced priced designs --- to any interns. Remember " The Devil Wears Prada" in which the auther was complaining having to run ANNA's errands? Buying coffee or drycleaning? But she got paid doing that! And she was driving her Jaguar on the opening scene while doing that! (but it is still bad)

Please tell us your interning experience, how good or how bad. Should I stay or should I go?

Never done an internship, but I've done about four work experiences with quite high profile companies, and all of them have basically been slave labour... I thought that was the point - to do s--t jobs so you get a good one in the future.

I hate it when internships ask you for an extensive resume (or any resume at all). The reason why I'm applying for an internship is so I can have something to put on a future resume. Otherwise I would be looking for a job! :lol: Who's with me?

drivershigh, they want a resume to see what your strengths and weaknesses are, your interests...believe it or not, even though you'll be getting an unpaid (usually) internship, knowing how to put together a well-organised resume and (shock!) being interested and having even a bit of experience in whatever field you're looking for an internship IS really important. it's not ridiculous that they ask for a resume. learn how to write a really stunning one and you can get an internship AND a job.

.francesca said:
drivershigh, they want a resume to see what your strengths and weaknesses are, your interests...believe it or not, even though you'll be getting an unpaid (usually) internship, knowing how to put together a well-organised resume and (shock!) being interested and having even a bit of experience in whatever field you're looking for an internship IS really important. it's not ridiculous that they ask for a resume. learn how to write a really stunning one and you can get an internship AND a job.

HAHA fair enough.^_^ You brought up some really good points. I guess my real problem is how tedious I find resume writing to be. I've heard that there are people that are willing to do it for you (for a fee of course) but I think that has more cons than pros since the person doesn't know first hand what exactly I have experience with and what specifically I have done in previous jobs/internships. Instead they only know what I've told them. Or am I wrong?

As part of my Uni course i have to undertake a placement next semester so we have been having sessions where we are taught, kinda, the basics of finding placements.

If theres a company your interested in, phone them up and just ask if they take placement students, if they say no, there is no point sending your cv etc, if they say yes get a name and an address to send your info to. if you dont have a name then chances are your cv aint getting to the person who needs it.

and then yes, send off your cv, wait a week, if you havent heard anything phone them up and POLIETLY enquire as to whether they have recieved your cv. Then take it form there.

hope that helps a little bit

Hey All. I could use your advice. I have an Armani and Kenneth Cole Internship open house occurring at the same time. Would it be feasible to attend half of both? The Armani one is at 9:30-12 and the Kenneth Cole one starts at 10. Armani is at 5th Ave and Kenneth Cole is at W50th and 11th. Thanks in advance!

cassavetes said:
:unsure: Hi, I am interning with an up-an-coming designer in NY who was from the top fashion school and her stuff is carried in the top stores, it's been several months, but I learnt nothing.

Everytime I went to her studio, I didn't have to take off my jacket as I stepped in because I was immediately sent downtown or uptown, former for dropping off things to the showroom and PR office, latter for dropping off patterns or picking up samples. I lugged bolts of fabric in rain while they could have given me a ride because as I got back, they just drove back from the same area moments ago. She also sent her interns to return her sweater to Barneys or books to bookstores.

Please tell me is it what's supposed to be like interning for designers? Be it Dior or H&M? I really don't mind working for no money, but it irks me working for no knowledge. I literally had to squeeze the knowlege out of them, asking"why this why that" and got the shortest reply possible.

They have no problem finding new slaves though. They don't seem to care and I have never seen them giving anything -- free or reduced priced designs --- to any interns. Remember " The Devil Wears Prada" in which the auther was complaining having to run ANNA's errands? Buying coffee or drycleaning? But she got paid doing that! And she was driving her Jaguar on the opening scene while doing that! (but it is still bad)

Please tell us your interning experience, how good or how bad. Should I stay or should I go?

what esle did you expect do be doing as an intern? People have all these high hopes and lofty dreams about working in the fashion industry, but it is just as tough as interning for any lawyer of financial advisor. And i really hope that you actually didn't take the Devil Wears Prada, a very one sided argument, that seriously.

i've done an internship in promotional product marketing, but i'm wanting one that pertains more to what i actually want to do. i'm in the 'waiting for the call back' stage, and it sucks.

pg_graffitti said:
what esle did you expect do be doing as an intern? People have all these high hopes and lofty dreams about working in the fashion industry, but it is just as tough as interning for any lawyer of financial advisor. And i really hope that you actually didn't take the Devil Wears Prada, a very one sided argument, that seriously.

i completely agree. you need to relly look at the bigger picture and try to absorb as much as possible from the opportunity of being around preoffessionals in your field. everyone has to do this at one point or anoter, and you'll be glad you had the experience, even if means running around being a 'slave'. you gotta start somewhere!

i'm grateful for my first internship, because even though it wasn't as fun, i got to be around interesting people and made good connections.
good luck :flower:

I wanna gain experience this summer in my internship in fashion, although when I graduate (with a degree in business) I want to be in the business area of fashion like retail, merchandising, or marketing etc. Do you think interning for a designer is a good choice or like a distributor of fashion lines? I'd like any advice on this matter thanks a lot :flower:

Fashion Internships in Toronto?

Hi, I'm looking to intern for a Fashion Magazine or anything Fashion related in the Toronto area.

Any tips, suggestions or stories on how to get started would be greatly appreciated! :flower:

i'm looking for a local styling intern, based in athens greece..
only one shooting a week -at the moment- but it will grow quick
hope someone local sees this

please pm me thanks

How do I get an Internship?

:P Hey guys I'm a college student with no experience in the fashion industry but I want to get my feet wet before school in the Fall of 2007. But what? and how? Give me some feedback; I'm looking towards the summer of 2007 and what ever I'll be doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->