All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

interning

So Amazing said:
Alexander McQueen, was set up by my college. The chose students who had strong body of work and could identify with the style/ethic of McQueen for interview. It was amazing we worked on all the show pieces for sooo long, late into the early morning. But showing in Paris was the highlight.

Giles was the same. If you are interested I can give you moblie number of someone there. I also worked for Preen, which was cool.

WOW! So Amazing, what kind of experience did you have prior to getting that internship? :smile:

That is awesome So Amazing! I would love to hear more about your experience also!

Currently I am majoring in Business management with a specialization in accounting. I completely regret not applying to fashion schools because my parents were not too fond of me engaging in a fashion career. Anyway, i would love to apply for some internships in that field and eventually (hopefully) find a career there as well. However would fashion designers or companies accept interns whose degrees are not in the field? Thanks!

b1ahness said:
That is awesome So Amazing! I would love to hear more about your experience also!

Currently I am majoring in Business management with a specialization in accounting. I completely regret not applying to fashion schools because my parents were not too fond of me engaging in a fashion career. Anyway, i would love to apply for some internships in that field and eventually (hopefully) find a career there as well. However would fashion designers or companies accept interns whose degrees are not in the field? Thanks!

Don't you worry about that a pinch, dear. My very good friend has got a degree in Accounting, and was in music production for a good chunk; got an interview and a job offer immediately from Jean Paul Gautier...AS A CONTROLLER - But she snubbed them to be at Universal publishing in Paris because they weren't willing to move her home from Canada.

You'll get in! Anyone is creative, not everyone is intuitive and analytical which is most times than not, more vital for running a business.

THank you so much for that lindsaypoo! That is very encouraging, I appreciate it :smile:

I am about to do a paid internship with Walt Disney World this August, it's a great opporunity because the students who are accepted for the internship get to live in a nicley furnshied apartment complex, we get free admissions to the parks, we get to work in one of the many Theme Parks of Walt Disney World, we can take business classes taught by people who work for the company and as a students you have a chance of networking yourself because Disney is affliated with some many things and companies. After the five months at Disney I hope to get in FIT and use my knowledge from this Fourtune 100 company and my love of fashion into my Fashion Merchandising Management Degree.

What did you gain from interning?

hi Everyone!

I was hoping that ppl could share their interning experiences and tell me about the kind of things that they learned about their respective industry? Thanks so much! :flower:

I was an intern at a fashion magazine (in the fashion dept.) and learned so much about how one goes together from start to finish. I mostly made copies from look books for the trend boards, packed trunks for photo shoots,poloroided items coming in and going out of the fashion closet for documentory sheets, ran errands around the city, got coffee, made phone calls, etc.. I was there 1/2 a year full time and learned so much! In the end though, I am not sure I'd want a career in this particular field due to that fact it's VERY time consuming of your entire life. If you've seen The Devil Wears Prada...it sometimes IS that stressful and life consuming for some people. Not everyone is mean though, that's just a stereotype! I definatly reccomend interning! Only thing is it's expensive since most are unpaid...

So Amazing said:
Alexander McQueen, was set up by my college. The chose students who had strong body of work and could identify with the style/ethic of McQueen for interview. It was amazing we worked on all the show pieces for sooo long, late into the early morning. But showing in Paris was the highlight.

Giles was the same. If you are interested I can give you moblie number of someone there. I also worked for Preen, which was cool.

would you (the # i mean)???? that would be amazing!!!! i unfortunately don't go to a fashion school but i'd be willing to do marketing/accounting or anything that was business/econ related!

Last edited by a moderator:
i learned a lot from interning at a showroom. i think everyone whose interested in being in the industry regardless of what type of position should intern at a showroom. you learn so much about the middle person in between retail and the designer, and how things work.

i think when you're aiming to get an internship, go for the big names.e ven though they don't pay, your resume will look impressive to prospective employers because of the name that is on that resume.

Thanks so much you two! I really appreciate hearing about your experiences! :heart:

I just read all the posts in this thread, and they were all really informative! I am studying advertising but really want a job in fashion. I am planning on studying abroad in Paris in spring 2007 and am looking into fashion internships, and it sounds like I need to just send my resume to everyone I can think of. Should I start now or would it be too early? And would it be ok to use English when contacting French companies? If anyone has any experience working in Paris, that would be fabulous :smile: Or also any resume advice would be amazingly helpful too, since I don't have any previous experience in fashion. Thanks so much, you guys are awesome.

Does anyone know where I could look for internships in London? Particularly in merchandising or buying? Thanks

Marla

^ you can try contacting the places you want to intern for if you have a specific place in mind

So Amazing said:

I love Mcqueen so much....I'm so jealous
My dream is to working with him....haha
May I ask u which school are u studying?~

I have my internship at a company in Hong Kong....Specific on denim.
And our sweater department have a new intership ffrom LCF...and it is fun to work with my colleagues..I've learn so much from them, some of them are really experienced.:rolleyes:

Saying Goodbye to your interns...

i am sad...
today was the last day for my two full-time summer interns...
and even though tthe season is basically over...
i have to go in for a few days to wrap things up and i am soooo sad that they won't be there in the morning..:cry:...

i miss them already...
they were both amazing and i wouldn't have survived the season without them...:heart:...

it's hard to say good bye...

aww i know - its probably as hard to say good bye to people who you interned with as well as interns who have worked for you so i know where you are coming from! being an intern myself for fashion mags and having to schlep in a cupboard for nearly 10 ish hours a day you get to know someone pretty well! and most of the girls ive met through this live far away! :(

can i ask softgrey - would you consider taking on international interns as someone taking interns usually (im guessing) from the US? my family might be moving to america and though i am staying in australia i might come over for a couple of months and have a crack at applying for an internship at a mag over there.... i have some experience and good references from a wide range of aussie mags and although i dont NEED the internship i would love to experience an overseas mag as i wish to break into overseas mags in the future

much appreciated!

Hi everyone. i have been thinking about interning within the fashion field for quite some time. the problem is, i dont know where to look for one :( from what i've read in this thread, several of you have interned at amazing places! congrats on that. i live in los angeles and i'm currently in school for business administration/marketing with a minor in accounting. i'm looking for an internship in the fashion industry which doesn't have to involve business relation. i think interning for anything is great to acquire. so i wanted to know where do you or did you learn about opening in your internship??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->