All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

Call them. Everyone seems to go nuts over Facebook/SMS/email/etc but the easier thing to do to clear up the air is to call!

Sometimes they want you at 9am, other times perhaps 8.30am to prepare for an early morning shoot, or maybe 10am because they have a morning meeting so they won't be in the office... you never know :smile:

Whats the best way to contact stylists for work experience? I live in Brisbane and study fashion, I havent asked any of my tutors yet, which is probably the best way to go. But i was just wondering if anyone had advice on here?

Do I have a chance?

Hi everyone :smile:

I have been reading this thread with great interest but don't think that my issue has been addressed before... It's rather a strange situation! I am a final year university student in the U.K., completing a law degree - nothing to do with fashion, journalism, etc. However, I absolutely adore fashion and am longing to get just a taste of what working in the industry would be like. I have a free summer ahead of me and wanted to ask advice as to what I could do to get some experience (and I don't mind if it's unpaid!). After a law degree I am itching for a change of scene and am eager to find some way to immerse myself in an industry which I know so little about, yet am fascinated by!

So my big question is simply: What should I do? Should I apply for internships or would I not stand a chance amongst the many other, much more qualified candidates? I have never worked in retail before (shame on me... a strict study schedule didn't allow for it) - should I start off trying to get a job at a high street store (e.g. Topshop) just so I have some experience to speak of that is not law-related? Would I have any chance cold-calling department stores and asking for shadowing opportunities? I would be willing to do any sort of brunt work that comes along with interning and would also be open to working for fashion-related websites, should there be internship/work experience/shadowing opportunities within those offices.

I am extremely open to travelling and would love to get some experience in Sweden or the Netherlands - as someone who is not a native speaker of either language, would it be wise to assume that my chances are even lower than finding a job in the U.K and perhaps look somewhere else? Are there fashion related opportunities in Germany (the language I am most familiar with after English) - which cities should I target, if so?

Sorry for the barrage of questions! It's just hard when I have so much enthusiasm but don't even know where to begin to look. I've just joined TFS but I have found such a wealth of information on here already! Any advice would be very very appreciated! ^_^

Whats the best way to contact stylists for work experience? I live in Brisbane and study fashion, I havent asked any of my tutors yet, which is probably the best way to go. But i was just wondering if anyone had advice on here?
My friend went through this board they have for students at school. There was a notice on there for Panos Yiapanis.. they were looking for interns. So she e-mailed them her CV. She got a call the other day from them ^^
I told her your question. She suggests you look around locally for a stylist you like and contact them.. Or if you can travel ..

If you go through your teachers, they might be able to put in a good word for you, so you get a better chance to get the internship

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm back just to say that I think I found an internship for a couple months at hermes paris :smile: My grandpa's wife told me that if I wanted she could get me in there. Now I just have to find how much time I have between the usa and school... >.<

thank you :D
I actually can't believe I'll be doing this, I so afraid that I won't have enough time, and that they won't take me.
but I'll try hard to get there at least a month.

I have no idea... She told me it's the head quarters near paris, and that I would see a bit of everything. I asked my grandpa though, and he said that they had some couturiers and design and all of that, so I hope I can squat there and learn some more sewing :D
(thanks by the way ^^)

Need some advice (internship/e-commerece/free) RO PLEASE

OK I hope I explain this well. I was offered an internship for an accessory e commerec website. For example they way it was explained to me was like, it is ment to be a google type of thing for handbags. Where as interns we would input all the information. The internship needs to be for at least three months and can be done remotely, most of the time and we are doing for free. At first I thought this sounded like a really good idea but what happens if after I have done all the work and the business takes off and I get no reward. I mean aren't internships for established companies? Any advice is appreciated.

Ya know .... I think your insticts are good on this one.

An intern needs to get something back for the hard work they put in ... at least be able to work in the environment of the company, so you can at least absorb some information and make some contacts. Here .. they have you out there, working by yourself, just inputting data and nothing else .... so that won't help you a bit.

Most legit internships are at established companies, and usually the interns are not there to actually do someone's whole job ... but to do a variety of stuff in order to get involved in the business a little bit. Of course, they are still expected to put in a good days work, or they just become a drag on the company.

And then, new companies, especially e-tailers are notorious for trying to find ways to get free help and they will take advantage of any poor sucker who comes along and buys thier story. Sounds like this is what they are doing ... just trying to find free workers.

It's sort of a scam, IMHO. I'd look for something better.

So my big question is simply: What should I do? Should I apply for internships or would I not stand a chance amongst the many other, much more qualified candidates? I have never worked in retail before (shame on me... a strict study schedule didn't allow for it) - should I start off trying to get a job at a high street store (e.g. Topshop) just so I have some experience to speak of that is not law-related? Would I have any chance cold-calling department stores and asking for shadowing opportunities? I would be willing to do any sort of brunt work that comes along with interning and would also be open to working for fashion-related websites, should there be internship/work experience/shadowing opportunities within those offices.
I think you should go ahead and give interning a shot. I would just send out resumes and cover letters to several different design companies/houses and see what happens.

The only reason I would say this is because...most fashion internships don't require you knowing pattern making and drafting, sewing, etc. It's been mentioned many times before that most fashion internships consist of phone calls, organizing, running errands, picking up lunch/coffee, shipping and receiving...and none of those tasks require a fashion degree or retail experience. So...it's worth a try, in my opinion.

And congrats, Andrea.RL! Hermes sounds SO amazing! Do you think you'll be working in the studio with Gaultier?!?! Keep us posted!

Congraulation Andrea, Hermes sounds amazing.
And I know for big house, U need a little bit of relationship.
And I was offered an internship at Sharon Wauchob in Paris, It's graet there, at least I'm not just doing the copy or coffee things, I'm working at the atelier, It's kind of fun and see really amazing stuffs

congrats Andrea! wow HERMES. that is spectacular! i hope you learn lots there, good luck and remember to report back :smile: wow what i wouldn't give to intern at hermes..!

lol thank you guys! Well all I know is that it's the HQ near paris. Apparently it's not just doing packages to all kinds of stores, they actually have ateliers and stuff. So I really hope they will be training me and teaching me some techniques.
And I also just learned that I didn't get accepted in the schools I applied to, so I actually have a whole year in front of me, so i think I'll ask them to see if all goes well after two months or so if they would be willing to keep me. :smile:
Don't worry guys, I'll keep you all informed on how it'll be going. :D
(how I love tfs for all these great people that support you!! you guys are great! :smile: )

congratulations Andrea.RL!!!

although disappointing that you didn't get accepted into the schools you applied for, I think the Hermes internship will be an excellent way to open new doors, gain valuable experience and important contacts.

looking forward to hearing all about it...

I applied for an internship this summer, but didn't get it. I want to contact all the places I'd to intern next summer and ask what they are looking for. Who should I contact human resources or the person I'll be working with like the fashion editor or assistant fashion editor? Is it too early to contact them? I plan to spend the year getting another internship and improving my resume, so I have a little more experience when I apply next summer.

I normally go on Creative Opportunities and fashion workie to find internships but does anyone know of any other places to find work experience? Most the other places I'm finding are all for work in America

well guys, i am 17 and i live in greece. i have one year of school left
do you know what can i possibly do to just gain 'work experience'?
i really needed that, and i want to ask you where you ask and how do you do it as well as if vogue hellas or elle takes interns.
please guys i really need your help.

When I applied at your age I was told they only take on people aged 21...or maybe it was 18. one of the two!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->