All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

So i just graduated from College with a major in Fashion Merchandising and a minor in Business Administration. I am living in New Orleans and there is not much here and i have been looking for internships or jobs in New York but it is soo difficult when you do not live there. How should i go about obtaining a job in NYC while living in another city and do you think it would be beneficial to get an internship because i am looking for anything!!! internship or job!!

Getting a job in NYC is hard if you don't live there from what I've heard... you've basically got to make it clear that you'll move straightaway. And they'll probably want you to fly there immediately for an interview. Could you consider looking for a job where you are now, or move to NYC temporarily (like a month or so) for job hunting?

It's competitive out there now so people who are ordinarily looking for jobs are now looking for internships - probably just look for both, see what happens and then make your choices from there.

i'm thinking of applying for an internship at net-a-porter in london in the PR department..but i've got no previous experience in PR and i'm only doing my first fashion placement this summer, in a fashion consultancy agency. i'm in a fashion promotion course but i'm sort of like, should i bother to send my CV? even tho i've got NO experience in PR and only little experience in fashion as a whole?

definitely send in your CV, provided you would actually be interested in the placement. What you're studying and what the work experience is aren't that far from each other imo.

coming from someone with a lot of PR experience, net-a-porter only chooses the elite. you need to have a lot of experience, alot of time and alot of contacts. they won't bother giving you a chance. they give you a auto message and thats it. don't waste this chance, because i think once they know your email once they don't really give you a second chance so i advise yuo to get loads of experience first.

seriously net-a-porter is SO picky, they are impossible to get a internship with. really really amazing opportunity to get esp as its practicallly paid. so there isn't a chance without ALOT of experience

I can imagine Netaporter being very competitive, but it won't hurt to try.... ok except the thing about 'not giving second chances' is a bit scary, surely they won't remember when you applied a year ago, when you had less experience, right??

I thought Netaporter internships were unpaid though? It'll be awesome if it were paid!

Miss-V, you've freaked me out now! haha

because i was reading all the internship opportunities and they honestly don't demand a lot from you from the PR, i think it's the only one that doesn't mention you need previous fashion experience. they just say the usual basic knowledge in word, excel, outlook, and just having attention for detail etc, which i know i do.

i'm scared now because i was seriously JUST about to send in my CV and read this. i haven't really heard back from anyone i've emailed so far so i was set of trying again in a while, but what is this about them not giving you a second chance??? i'm a fashion journalism/promotion student with ONE work experience on my CV, do you think i should not even bother?

and yeah Cicciolina, apparently they give £120 a week for food/travel expenses!

from the netaporter.com website, in the PR internship section

Essential Skills & Requirements
 Must be studying or recently graduated in a fashion based qualification
 Basic understanding of Word, Excel and Outlook, essential.
 Knowledge of Photoshop would be an advantage.
 Ability to take initiative and must have the confidence to learn in a “live”
environment.
 Must be reliable with excellent organizational skills and very strong
attention to detail.
 Must demonstrate an appreciation and understanding of the
importance of high quality as a function within the business. Excellent
written and verbal communication skills.

hi everyone!
i have a question, maybe someone can help?
right now i study international business but:
there is nothing that i want more than working in the fashion industry!
i'm afraid i get no job/internship because i didn't do anything with fashion... yet.
anything that i can do apart from learning french and mailing my CVs like crazy? : )
thanks a bunch!

I'm in Paris for the summer, does anyone know of any unpaid internship opportunities?
I'm in my 4th year at Ryerson University in Toronto.

If you go to the LVMH website there are some internship opportunities there.

Except that it's summer well, like now, so it may be difficult to secure one on such short notice. I think in this thread there are some posts about interning in Paris - without a connection it's quite difficult because there are visa issues I think from memory, work place rights, etc.

ETA:
Here is the thread 'Working in Paris'.
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/working-paris-58298.html?highlight=paris

Does anyone know what the process for getting an internship at Netaporter is like? Would you have to be there in person for an interview?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a interview with an agent (or at least I think he is) from DNA models monday or tuesday I just sent my resume not thinking I would get an answer back but I did and I'm excited to just get an internship for the summer/ getting an internship :lol:.

I have a interview with an agent (or at least I think he is) from DNA models monday or tuesday I just sent my resume not thinking I would get an answer back but I did and I'm excited to just get an internship for the summer/ getting an internship :lol:.
That sounds really exciting! Keep us posted!

Wonderland Magazine

hi everyone.

i'm starting an internship at Wonderland on the 20th.

i have no idea what the position will entail apart from i'm in monday - friday 9am - 5pm and i get my own projects.

anyone who has been in my position or has any clue of what will be expected of me, please let me know.

thankyou x

thats great im excited for you. i hope you have fun. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->