Altuzarra F/W 11.12 New York

I feel like he is still finding himself. There is no consistency between collections. Wang + Rodarte x Gap = Altuzarra
Can't disagree with that.

With that being said there is something about this collection that I appreciate. It feels more paired down and less designed than a lot of what he's done so far, especially compared to last season's messy outing. This doesn't seem as intent on being interesting for the sake of it and it's not trying to be cutting edge, thank god. Still, some consistency would be nice after five seasons.

Agree masquerade: you put it well. It seems like there are too many ideas going on here. My favorite looks are actually the lower key ones, like this tweed topper - very nice. Maybe his strongest aesthetic is a richer, more classic one, and he should drop the effort to be edgy like Wang. His argyles really have potential too, and there's another heritage look.

alt16.jpg

source for image: copied from above / nymag

I really like this all together aside from those christmas tree dresses at the end...
There's way too much going on in some outfits though :/

It's an improvement from the last season. I still like this guy's work. I think he has something and as soon as he finds "it", he's going to wow us all. Maybe he should go back in France for inspiration.

i really did love his early collections, but this is just bland. there is no consistency, this collection hardly resembles anything he did early on. he should have sticked to making beautiful, interesting dresses like no one else does them, that would have been great

I agree that his low key looks are the only one that worked.

I also agree with Squizree that these aren't really wearable at all - I totally disagree with the reviewer above who suggests this is how women dress. Seriously - please no more straps. They were done to death about 5 years ago, and they just look tacky. Altuzarra had such beautiful collections about 1.5 years ago - what happened? There used to be refinement to his clothes. This just a bad copy of Alexander Wang.

while miles better than his last collection with those crazy python cups, i still feel that he's a bit too un-focused in his mining of the greatest hits of the nineties in search of his own vision for how women should dress today. some of the best moments of the collection came in those great asymmetric dress and deconstructed pieces, but some of it felt too derivative (those slip dress and boot ensembles recalled the heyday of galliano for dior, for example) for a designer as talented as joseph altuzarra.

Looks confusing... i'm not sure i like it ( i have the Charlotte York "i dont know moment" ).
Love the plaid, but the rest.. hmm.. looks all over the place.

Not a bad outing but I feel like critics never call him out on his blatant copying of other designers. I mean it seems I can always pinpoint the exact collection and designer that he is referencing. I do think he's talented but I wish he would find his own voice, it looks like he surfs style.com right before he sketches out his collection. He doesn't have to resort to Siriano or Marchesa tactics or does he?

Not a bad outing but I feel like critics never call him out on his blatant copying of other designers. I mean it seems I can always pinpoint the exact collection and designer that he is referencing. I do think he's talented but I wish he would find his own voice, it looks like he surfs style.com right before he sketches out his collection. He doesn't have to resort to Siriano or Marchesa tactics or does he?

I never really paid attention to it before, but now I can understand what your saying. I look at his collections and I am never really truly wowed. I think that might be cuz I feel like I have seen his stuff before. I don't know for sure. He makes really great pieces, even though they may be copied....
As for young designers go I'd pick Thakoon, Jason Wu or my lovely Alexander Wang over him anyday :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->