Altuzarra S/S 11 New York

I've looked through it only now and although that's not really my taste, I have to admit it's something really innovative and creative. I wasn't a fan of the last collection, but this is one of the most interesting parts of NYFW for me.

one exquisitely constructed, perfectly-fitted showcase piece in a collection
IMO, the first piece of this collectiom already fits just that.

It's a very hard collection to swallow, but I love it when a designer is courageous enough to produce and show something they may feel is daring and differen. I think he's a very promising designer and while this is not one of his best, his taste level is good and he's a good designer judging from his past collections.

I still think he's very promising, just trying to find his place and style. It's there, but it hasn't untamable, for lack of a better word, now. I really enjoyed last season, but I am disappointed this season, though at least there was more of an originality... problem is, he copied off Tom Ford last season, who actually went for aesthetics than just business, unlike most of NY, as opposed to now, so I'm very mixed :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
i feel like i'm the only person that saw this collection and just immediately thought to myself that it just reminded me so much of prada's collection for SS09...

I don't think this show was very bad. I saw a few nice pieces.

the only thing i liked about the collection are the shoes, they're the best i've seen so far asides from Ohne Titel's. as for the pieces, if you've got fabrics as sheeny as satin and as jarring as snakeskin then the problem is how to make both compliment and not overpower one another, it's knowing when to stop and when to add more. there are some pieces that has graciously achieved this balance but unfortunately the rest look pitifully elementary. my issue with the pieces is that it may look trendy, but does it have the lasting power, is it a good enough investment? it may look great at the start and ofcourse it will stand out in your closet but in the long run one will end up noticing just how muddled up the piece is. the snakeskin worked great as an embellishment and as a full on skirt and jacket but to lay it as cutouts on the dresses just gives me the impression of someone trying to fill up empty space with something more pointless. as for the cuts, some are flattering enough, i do like the architectural approach to the skirts and the jacket flaps, it's sexy with abit of slouch; but the conical bras are just too preposterous for my liking. overall this collection just has too many holes to be a strong one for me.

it's a shame cause i really loved Altuzarra's last collection, it made me an instant fan. the editors may have loved this but now the question is whether critics' appreciation will be enough for him to make his brand sell and keep it afloat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only echo the general consensus that this was a major disappointment.

Poor Joseph has had his limitations both technical and creative painfully exposed here.

I tried to screw up my eyes at the pieces interrupted by the snakeskin shapes to see if there might be some trompe l'oeil evocation that might perhaps redeem those looks but no, it's just awkward unflattering randomness.

If you saw work like this at London's Graduate Fashion Week it would rank in the lower quartile and there really is no place for it surely on a fashion capital international runway.

Joseph ''Icarus'' Altuzarra

none of these items work at all. :blink:

It was a miserable showing for someone so hyped. I suppose you could credit him for trying along with any other mediocre fashion student who thinks they are Helmut Lang. He is clearly lacking tailoring skills. He either needs to find a tailor who can assist him or find another approach. Maybe he's talented, can't say yet, this collection is not a good sign.

I don't like it... That snake skin with the white and those cuts ... :S awful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->