American / United States Fashion Schools

ShesElectric

Reaction score
Okay, first I guess I should say that I can really only speak english and am looking for a couple of ideas as to which schools it would be best to attend for Fashion Design as I have to make a decision really soon...

I live in Toronto but would rather go to a school in New York or London or Los Angeles or anywhere where I would benefit and language wouldnt be a problem...

Lastly, I don't have these amazing drawing skills... I can get around but I'm no pro (I'll show you an example) and I want to be a fashion designer because I just naturally have the ability to look and feel a kind of fabric and just come up with a whole collection out of it - you know what I mean? It's just a passion, I love fashion.

ALSO

Are there any skills I would be struggling through school without, besides creativity? Or will most of the technical stuff be taught?

Attachments

• one of them.JPG
    one of them.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:
i would recommend

otis college www.otis.edu
Parsons www.parsons.edu
fit www.fitnyc.edu

the thing with parsons and otis is that they would rather not see fashion sketches, they want to life drawing and work that doesn't relate to what you plan on majoring. life drawing, observational drawings are the most important thing in your portfolio. parsons requires you to also submit a home test in addition to your portfolio to get in.

in my portfolio that got me accepted to parsons and otis, i included some photography, 3d design, 2d design, life drawing and painting.

FIT is the only school of these three that would actually require you to do fashion sketches.

jeffrey0806 said:
life drawing, observational drawings are the most important thing in your portfolio. parsons requires you to also submit a home test in addition to your portfolio to get in.

Life and observational drawings? What exactly does that mean?:blush:

Thanks for that though, I'm really leaning towards Parsons.

Questions!

So, the plan is to go to a local college for a year and work up my drawing skills on a more sophisticated level (in the hopes of getting better scholarships and whatnot)

Mainly, what I'm wondering is anybody's perspectives on the following schools and their fashion programs..

Parsons..obviously a better one in the U.S. but I know some people will argue about it, whatever-- I've heard more good than bad.

Syracuse University--

Drexel University--

Marist College--

Mount Ida College--

I know the last two are probably lesser known within the industry but I hear they're moving in the right direction, I'm more into getting taught what I need to and gaining the skills rather than the name-- I can go to CSM for grad school if I need the name that bad.

Thanks so much guys!

i read quite a lot about the art institutes in the fashion school mega thread but did not really find the school that i was looking for so i decided to take an advantage of thsi thread :D

does anyone know about the art institute of seattle? what kind of portfolio they require and how much drawing skills? its all practicing but it would also be good to know something before applying

The Art Institute

I got accpeted into the Miami University of Art & design which is a branch of the art institute schools and I was wondering if you guys could please give me some info on these schools. Are they respected in the industry? are they worth the money?
I want to go for fashion merchandising, so is this a good school for this major?
Thanks a bunch.

ShesElectric said:
Life and observational drawings? What exactly does that mean?:blush:

Thanks for that though, I'm really leaning towards Parsons.

drawing a naked figure in person.

drawing a set up of things may include your teddy bears all lined up against the wall or any object, but drawing it from real life including shading and stuff like that.

drawings from real life. by real life, it is meannt literally, drawing what is in front of you, not drawing from a picture or from your imagination.

do you see why they wouldn't want to see a fashion sketch? because usually: 1. its from the imagination, something made up in your head 2. it's not drawn off of a real life model.

ShockTart55 said:
I got accpeted into the Miami University of Art & design which is a branch of the art institute schools and I was wondering if you guys could please give me some info on these schools. Are they respected in the industry? are they worth the money?
I want to go for fashion merchandising, so is this a good school for this major?
Thanks a bunch.

For Fashion Merchandising, yes its good. Depends also on if you want to work in Florida or elsewhere. I would recommend it if you are interested in staying/working in South Florida because they have many contacts there. Otherwise, I think its good to go to school where you eventually want to work.
For design,its getting better...but the new york schools are still better. For Marketing, I think its good.

marrimoda said:
For Fashion Merchandising, yes its good. Depends also on if you want to work in Florida or elsewhere. I would recommend it if you are interested in staying/working in South Florida because they have many contacts there. Otherwise, I think its good to go to school where you eventually want to work.
For design,its getting better...but the new york schools are still better. For Marketing, I think its good.

Thanks so much :D

What about Pratt? They seem like they'd have a decent program-- but you never really know, a school can have a great art program and a terrible fashion program.

Also, what does everybody think of the advantages of going to a smaller school, where you may only get a B.S. degree, rather than a BFA, (i.e. Drexel/Mt. Ida College) and then doing your graduate work at a more prestigous school in Europe?

I'm afraid of going to Parsons just because I don't want to be another face in the crowd-- if I went somewhere smaller I think I'd gain more from professors really taking an interest in you and your work and cultivating your talent--- the whole big fish in a small pond thing.. but then again, I have no idea what the program at Parsons is actually.

Advice and direction is certainly wanted:D

i found out I got into parsons a couple days ago, and I think I will be going.

Pratt I heard was a good school, though the neighborhood isnt that wonderful.

another school is risd, which is in rhode island but is a very good school. I talked to a senior their who is majoring in industrial design, and she has some really really impressive work!

A lot of RISD kids I've talked to say not to bother with Fashion at RISD, they reccomed going to a school with more of a specialization in fashion (i.e. Parsons).. but Providence might be more suitable than NYC for some. All in all, I think any high-end art school will prepare you with the essential skills needed-- it's moreso just how you use those skills and connections to your benefit.

AI of Seattle

adi said:
does anyone know about the art institute of seattle? what kind of portfolio they require and how much drawing skills? its all practicing but it would also be good to know something before applying

This comes from a student review at www.studentsreview.com--

"Stay away from this and any other Art Institue. Schools like this are just a sham. Poor professors and poor quality students give it a horrible reputation and you are better off telling employers that you have not attended there."

My opinion on the AI schools is that they're so much more like a business than an actual art and design school-- I hear that they make you take the same mandatory classes from the same professors, which, I would imagine would limit your actual creativity. I don't think you ever really hear of anything good coming out of an Art Institute school...

However, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, or SAIC, isn't a part of the chain schools and is actually a well recognized art school--I just thought I'd throw that in:P

I guess that I would reccomend looking at the following schools--

Out west:

-Otis College of Art and Design, San Francisco Academy of Art (most of the programs here suck, I hear, but fashion is supposed to be really good),

Mid-west:
-Washington University in St. Louis, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and Kent State University--which I hear is supposed to be good.

In the East:

-Parsons, Pratt, FIT, Massachusetts College of Art?, SCAD (they're not accreditted though, so just check that out), Syracuse University's art school is supposed to be good too.

Also, if you're not looking for a BFA degree, which I would reccomend getting, you can get a B.S. in Fashion Design at a LOT of schools. However, I'd imagine a prospective employer would prefer a BFA over a BS just because of how much more concentrated the curriculm is in your major.

I'm from germany and I'm so interested to get an education as a fashion designer and sartorial. I'm actually working on my own little collection, but's ist so expensive, because i can't tailor. I'm looking for an university were i can go after I finish my school here. Is there also a fashion university in NY? Do they have high expectations to the future students?
THX for any reply

D.Y. said:
I'm from germany and I'm so interested to get an education as a fashion designer and sartorial. I'm actually working on my own little collection, but's ist so expensive, because i can't tailor. I'm looking for an university were i can go after I finish my school here. Is there also a fashion university in NY? Do they have high expectations to the future students?
THX for any reply

Hey DY, there's a lot of fashion schools in New York City. Check out the exchange programs, or Grad School programs at Parson's the New School for Design, Fashion Institute of Technology, and I´m sure there's other ones around. Closeby, in Rhode Island, there is Rhode Island School of Art and Design also a great design school. All of these do have high expectations of their students since these are the schools where many of the best fashion designers came out of. (Calvin Klein Carolina Herrera, Michael Kors- FIT. Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs, Anna Sui, Donna Karan & Isaac Mizrahi- Parsons, Nicole Miller- RISD)
Yet because is so expensive, I would recommend you to investigate and consider the costs of going to school in the States and living in NYC before making your decisions.

check out this sites!
www.risd.edu
www.parsons.edu
www.fitnyc.suny.edu

good luck!! :smile:

How selective is Pratt?

I read that the fashion department accepts 60 new students every year. If that's true, then wow.
I was drawn to it because I also read it separates the fashion students freshman year, where at most schools you just do foundation courses. But now I suppose I have no chance of getting in.

But just generally, where can I get more info about Pratt? All I can find is its own website.

Fashion Careers College

Has anyone heard of Fashion Careers College in San Diego I'm up for a scholarship there.

need some advice: ryerson???

hey guys. i'm applying to schools in toronto. i'm currently finishing up my degree at carleton university and will be done in june. Even tho i would really like to go to ryerson.. another 4 years of university seems pretty duanting to me right now. is anyone here taking Fashion communication at ryerson? if so is it worth it to do the 4 years?
also i'm working on my portfolio. i've taken a drawing class since well i haven't done art classes since elementary school. also i was told to make some clothes myself. i guess i also wondering how creative or "good" at drawing and sewing must someone be to be accepted for the fashion communication program?? i'm asking these questions becasue i can never get a straight answer from the admin department at ryerson.
also is anyone here a graduate of International Academy of Design and Technology? how much of a scam is this? should i forget this school and apply to ryerson/george brown?
sorry if i seem like i'm rambling.....
thanks for everyones help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momosdiary
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->