Canadian Schools ... for Fashion

thanks Jna for the info. Kwantlen has a two year diploma that I am aiming for, not the 4 yr Bachelor.
I checked the site for the FV and their fashion show video, not impressed to say the least.
In the meantime, I am sewing at home after working 40 hours per week, and other affairs. I am concentrating on doing the specifics for Kwantlen's portfolio, along with my own designs.
so Jna, are you working in the industry? have your own little lable? other???
thanks
FF

I also read that Helen Lefaux closed its doors this summer, due to high rental costs!!!??? which makes me wonder if that is the reason. With tuition in the $10 range per person, I don't see the "rent is too high" reason be too reasonable, no pun intended.
yeah it seemed one of the cheaper schools
I recently met with one of the instructors that worked there
and was told that Helen retired and decided to sell the school

it was interesting also hearing she was one of the last living couturières in Canada/ North America. apparently the students there were 'couture trained' --don't know if that part is 100% true..

uohh... Personally, I am very cautious with the word couture or couturier(e). It gets used too much sometimes. I don't know how "couturiere" she is or not, all I know from people I met some time ago that at HLF you learned a lot of draping. some people apparently didn't know much 'tailoring' type technique as much as they knew 'draping'. But again, that is from these two persons i met some time -long- ago.
if she is indeed one of the last "couturieres" in NAmerica, I would be interested in knowing who are the other ones.

nice posting with you Gius. BTW, how are things going for you? email me.
FF

oh nice.. did they tell you when they graduated?^ i talked to a few students from there too, one in particular.. --he said the draping course was very basic and he learned a lot more on the job, in bridal. maybe the curriculum had changed quite a bit in recent years.
interesting you point out draping because if you watch some documentation on the making of Chanel couture (on youtube), you see they use draping quite extensively too ;-) the technique can be used for pattern making.

but i wonder too, about the tailoring/sewing...
if they learned that side of it

i'm doing well! ^^ somewhat. i'll message you tonight

I visited Kwantlen last week. They are adding a Fashion Marketing Diploma program. And if students want a bachelor, they transfer to the BBA after completing the diploma program, but they must take Accounting and Statistics as electives.

Blanche Macdonald vs. George Brown

HI! This is my first post at the Fashion Spot! Looking forward to posting and exchanging information with fellow fashion lovers:smile:

I am in desperate need of some opinions/advice -- which school would be a better school to attend in Canada: Blanche Macdonald in Vancouver or George Brown in Toronto?

My goal is to ultimately apply to FIT's bachelor in Technical Design but do not have the prerequisites needed to apply (I major in Psychology, almost graduating). I am thinking of getting a diploma here in Canada first to learn the basics of fashion design...I've narrowed it down to Blanche Macdonald vs. George Brown.

George Brown's program is 2 years whereas Blanche is one-year.. George Brown's program seems more in-depth and covers more material, but also takes longer to complete. Next, LOCATION. George Brown is minutes away from Canada's garment district (Spadina). George Brown is also cheaper (7 grand vs 10 grand)...however to attend George Brown I will basically be moving from Vancouver to Toronto.

Which school should I attend????? I welcome any insights, thanks in advance!:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
So you would move to Toronto, finish in two years and move to NYC? Is that good for money wise? Basically think about the move to Toronto also.
I'm not sure which school is better though, but I'm guessing George Brown would at least give you a diploma whereas Blance Macdonald would give you a certificate? Then I'd go with George Brown.

@yuni: I'm going to George Brown very soon, right now I'm only taking night school courses. I'm in for Fashion Technique and Design, is that what you are planning on taking? I can't speak for Blanche Macdonald (I don't know anything about it), but George Brown is a really fantastic school for fashion (I took a couple of courses, and my friend is a graduate). You really learn a lot about the techniques used in the industry, and there is a lot of sewing involved. It'll really help you sharpened your sewing skills. Many instructors there are knowledgable and involved and care about your education.

Good luck with everything~!

does anyone in here went to the Art Institute in Vancouver? Do they offer any Bachelor in Fashion Deisgn?!
Can anyone give me some insight?

does anyone in here went to the Art Institute in Vancouver? Do they offer any Bachelor in Fashion Deisgn?!
Can anyone give me some insight?

No they offer a Diploma. The only school in Vancouver that offers a Bachelor in Fashion Design is Kwantlen

Is anyone else here applying to Ryerson this year?
I'm dying to share my work with anyone, I'm so nervous!

^ I am applying to Ryerson and Kwatlen this year, but im a late bloomer to fashion design and im a bit worry that my work would not be impressive at all O_O

^ I am applying to Ryerson and Kwatlen this year, but im a late bloomer to fashion design and im a bit worry that my work would not be impressive at all O_O

communication or design?
I wouldn't worry too much, I was lurking some of the submissions from the previous year and they're not too complex

^ hmm i see. i am also considering ACAD at Calgary right now (i am more on the graphic/imagery side) but i will see...

I'm going to share my experience of first year first semester of ryerson fashion design. it is a joint program with communication students (meaning both com and design students take the same courses)

1. fundamental of design and color (had alice chu, not much complaint here, but sometimes you may feel the time you invest in the coursework =/= what you get out of it.)
2. illustration
(if you get David, it is best you avoid this class. The guy screams EXCELLENT! and gives you a 60. Not to mention you learn nothing in class.
This is the biggest flaw i believe in ryerson's fashion program. They cram fashion design aspect, figure drawing and fashion drawing into one course. That's right, you get like half ***ed 3 weeks of each. Result? You see hardly any improvement in your designs/drawings. This may explain why the display window of fashion illustrations in ryerson is of such low quality.

3. fashion design (had lucia, she's the curly haired women in the ryerson fashion design catalog. Good class)

4. textiles (good class, but i fell asleep few times during the lecture.... )

5. intro to fashion
(Give you a feel of fashion industry. The professor i had, Lu Ann, is an awesome teacher. She replies to your EMAIL and fast!. Which is something. And she is dedicated. But the flaw in this course is, lot of the speakers are bad. (and there are lots of speakers, almost every lecture, this is because it's Canada and they can't get any really good speakers to come. You will get good one time to time though)
So half the time in this course you'll be listening to life stories.

6. art history (There is only one, and i will not even mention her name. She is bit crazy, she thinks we are majoring art history. pretty rude one at that)

In short, not enough sewing, and designing. Which as fashion design major, I feel bit irritated. Yet they rob all your free time so you won't even have much time to do out of school work.

I feel this is a place for people to become a fashion design critic, teacher, etc. Not a designer. Because the courses don't get much better in 2nd year +

Last edited by a moderator:
@lovelyday: Thank you so much for your insight! I've been wanting to get into Ryerson's program for x amount of years. When I ask ppl who've been in the program, they just emphasize how much work is involved, but I'm really looking for the nitty gritty details.

Can I ask you why you feel that the courses don't get much better 2+ years? I understand maybe the first year is a bit here and there, but I would imagine your focus of expertise would start to focus D:

^
draping course gets added in 2nd year. and in 4th year, i think portfolio presentation gets in.

Basically, not enough design still. And this reflects the quality of their design in graduation show as well as quality of their illustrations.

I'll give you another update on this after i check over the course outline again on tuesday, when i have class.

I attended the Art Institute of Toronto and then switched to the Academy of Design. The Art Institute was a joke and now no longer exists in the city but the Academy of Design was perfect. The instructors and opportunities and pretty much everything was what I expected to get out of that type of program and well worth the money. However, I attended when they were situated in the CBC building between King and Queen. I'm not sure where they are now but the facility contributed a lot to the experience. I'm not sure what it would be like now.

If coming to Toronto, I would recommend the Academy. However, the Academy is pricey and if you're on a tight budget, go with George Brown or Ryerson University - they're definitely better choices than Seneca or *gasp* Humber.

Not sure about Vancouver though.

I attended the Art Institute of Toronto and then switched to the Academy of Design. The Art Institute was a joke and now no longer exists in the city but the Academy of Design was perfect. The instructors and opportunities and pretty much everything was what I expected to get out of that type of program and well worth the money. However, I attended when they were situated in the CBC building between King and Queen. I'm not sure where they are now but the facility contributed a lot to the experience. I'm not sure what it would be like now.

If coming to Toronto, I would recommend the Academy. However, the Academy is pricey and if you're on a tight budget, go with George Brown or Ryerson University - they're definitely better choices than Seneca or *gasp* Humber.

Not sure about Vancouver though.

I'm sorry, I should mention that I was a fashion marketing student - not design. I have an awesome job now but what you do with your credentials afterwards has everything to do with your commitment to a career in the field and a natural talent over your education.

I currently go to AI Vancouver, but I am seriously considering changing schools, like go to NYC for Parsons or F.I.T. since the price is not THAT much higher. Honestly, AI is a joke. No portfolio is needed to go to this school (which is pretty much why I went in the first place, because I did not have any prior arts or fashion experiences). AI, as long as you have money, you can graduate. There was this one girl who failed a class 4 times and was still in school because she can afford it. It is just dumb. Anyway, the classes are okay, some are relevant and other are just repeating, repeating, repeating.
The biggest problem, though, is the instructors. For garment construction, you get Frederick, who is pretty much the only instructor at the school who really cares about students and teaching them whatever they need. So, Frederick pretty much made the first year at AI worth it, you will really learn a lot from him if you are willing. Pattern Making's teacher, Concetta is also really nice. She is experienced, and is willing to explain and thoroughly talk about your patterns/mistakes and how to fix them. The marketing teachers are kind of lazy, but some are really nice. Alexandra knows what she is doing, and is really strict, but you really learn a lot from her. Gerry is a very free teacher, but marks hard.

Now, on to the bad part.
Shainin, the lead instructor, is not a good teacher. She does not really know what she is talking about and does not really care about the students on a personal level. She does not promote creativity even though she teaches fashion design.

Overall, I would AIV is an okay school if you want to learn some fundamentals, but you really have to work hard on your own. But honestly, I feel like I could learn a lot more at other schools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybabycrzy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->