Arctic Monkeys

After listening to the new album all the way through I feel like such a jerk for questioning their new direction! The lighter "poppy" sound that this album takes on is actually the perfect follow up to the heavier stoner rock they experimented with on Humbug. I'll always look at these two album as companion albums, not just because SIAS is the follow up album to Humbug, but the way in which they compliment each other by being opposite vibes, but keeping the same strong foundations.

I still don't like Brick by Brick :lol: but the rest of the songs are just amazing. I llove how straight forward some of Turner's lyrics are, most notably Love Is A Laserquest. He is so clever that it makes me ill (jealous).

I do hope they'll go more classic Monkeys rock for the next album, but I'm now glad they didn't on SIAS, because this album is pretty much perfection.

omg, AM posted all the songs off Suck It and See on their site! I think it's because they were leaked before, so they thought we might as well. I absolutely loove Black Treacle and She's Thunderstorms, and some others :smile: (Reckless Serenade too)
You can buy them now :-) :heart:

^ They are live streaming the record, but you can't purchase Suck It and See until June 7th. They did release the Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair single with some B-sides yesterday though.

After listening to the new album all the way through I feel like such a jerk for questioning their new direction! The lighter "poppy" sound that this album takes on is actually the perfect follow up to the heavier stoner rock they experimented with on Humbug. I'll always look at these two album as companion albums, not just because SIAS is the follow up album to Humbug, but the way in which they compliment each other by being opposite vibes, but keeping the same strong foundations.

I still don't like Brick by Brick :lol: but the rest of the songs are just amazing. I llove how straight forward some of Turner's lyrics are, most notably Love Is A Laserquest. He is so clever that it makes me ill (jealous).

I do hope they'll go more classic Monkeys rock for the next album, but I'm now glad they didn't on SIAS, because this album is pretty much perfection.
I agree with all of this! They do seem like companion concept albums, and I bet if you listen to them on shuffle together they would blend into a bit of an extended evenly paced album.

Love is a Laserquest, Hellcat Spangled, and All My Own Stunts I think at the winners of the album for me. It has really grown on me. Retrospectively, it took a few good listens to love Humbug, as well.

I didn't even realised I posted here, I thought I just discovered the thread!

Songs I like so far on the album:

(not in order)
-Black Treacle
-She's Thuderstorms
-Hellcat Spangled Shalalala
-Brick by Brick
-Don't Sit Down
-Library Pictures
-Reckless Serenade

So, more than half, I can't quite choose my favourites yet!

New York Magazine had an article a week ago about the set list for their SummerStage show. I just typed it out, as there are no pictures involved.

How the Arctic Monkeys Plan a Set List​
Most groups warm up for a big American tour overseas, but the Arctic Monkeys, who play SummerStage on May 24, are working things out here. "We enjoy playing in America because people are more willing to try things out," says lead guitarist Jamie Cook, who explained precisely how the band puts together a song lineup. "In the U.K., everyone wants to hear the big songs."
By Lizzy Goodman

1. The View From the Afternoon: "When I saw the Strokes at Madison Square Garden, they started with the first song on their first album, and it was great. I thought we should do the same."

2. Brianstorm: "To start off the set, we play stuff people can dance to."

3. This House Is a Circus: "We try to do five that are pretty fast-paced before people get bored, then we slow it down."

4. Still Take You Home: "We have a lot of song names with long titles. By the end of the tour, they just become one word on the set list: 'View,' 'Brian.' This one is 'Home.'"

5. Don't Sit Down 'Cause I Moved Your Chair: "This is the first new one, five songs in. Some people are waiting to hear it, and some people are going to be like, **** this! Why can't they play an old one?"

6. Teddy Picker: "We didn't play this one on the last album tour - we rested it. There are songs you think you'll never play again, and then one day they just start to sound right again."

7. Crying Lightning: "This one has a bit more of a groove - you could have a little sway to it, or just get a drink in, I suppose. That's what I always do when a band plays my least-favorite song."

8. I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor: "I imagine a fan bringing a date to our show who doesn't know us that well. We play loads of new stuff, and when we get to 'Dancefloor,' he turns to her and says, 'You'll definitely know this one.' If she says, 'I don't know this one, either,' that's when maybe you shouldn't see much of her again. We're helping our fans: If they pass this test, it must be love!"

9. The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala: "When we've played the new album to friends, this one stuck in a lot of people's heads - they leave humming it. It might be the next single."

10. Cornerstone: "A low moment in the set. If she's stayed this long, you can make out with her here."

11. Brick by Brick: "Matt [Helders, drummer] sings this one off our new album, Suck It and See. It's his singing debut!"

12. If You Were There, Beware: "Kind of a builder - at the very end it goes off, and the crowd just goes mad. It's one of our favorites to play. It never seems to get dropped from the set list."

13. Pretty Visitors: "Fast, loud, lots of drums: all the good stuff. We're picking it back up again toward the end."

14. She's Thunderstorms: "We'd love to go out and be able to twelve new songs, but that's not really fair, so there are five new ones on here - this one opens the new album. At the first few gigs, the idea is to test them out and see how they go."

15. Do Me a Favour: "We slow it back down again before the encore. This is a good moment to get an ice cream."

...Encore...

16. When the Sun Goes Down: "You don't come back on and play a B-side; you need a crowd-pleaser. You know the popularity bar they have on iTunes? This would be quite far up. Probably right behind 'Dancefloor.'"

17. That's Where You're Wrong: "This is a new one, and we've never done a song that sounds quite like it before. I think it will go down well."

18. Flourescent Adolescent: "It's good for singing along. For the last song, that's what you need. That's it! Let's hope the sun shines, but just in case, bring an umbrella."

It wasn't Matt's official singing debut, though. He performed a cover of Last Christmas during Flourescent Adolescent at Terminal 5 during the 2009 tour. :wink:

Sorry if there were any grammatical errors. I couldn't be bothered to proof it.

Also... two new B-sides off the Don't Sit Down 'Cause I Move Your Chair EP.
My honest advice is skip IDST. Another of Matt's attempts.... Blond-O-Sonic is perfect, though. Should have been on the album.

The Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap

IDST

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked Blond-O-Sonic as soon as I heard the first two seconds...I'm hooked.
Haven't listened to IDST yet.
Their set list sounds quite well balanced - I still haven't been to a show of theirs before! I neeed to!
Their album came out yesterday, right?

NME thinks SIAS is their best album? Really... REALLY? I've accepted the album, I like it even, but I still find it a bit all over the place, a little try hard at times, and lacking the timeless rock sound that I always felt made them so important in this day in age where rock music is basically dead.

I also hate how they criticize their early work, I still find those early albums and demos so brilliant.

Interesting. Thanks for posting ckgirlbr.

I´m listening to the new album, feels like a nice album to play while chilling or as background music. Not one song made me wanna turn the volume up.
This one is not an album for me :(

Aaaah I'm soo excited - I'm seeing AM in October at the O2 Arena!! I've never seen them live, it'll be the best concert I've ever been to by far :wub: (The White Stripes were great, but I'm a bigger fan of AM).

I´m listening to the new album, feels like a nice album to play while chilling or as background music. Not one song made me wanna turn the volume up.
This one is not an album for me :(

Yeah I know right, same here. It's not even bad, but such a snoozefest. :doh: I miss their big heavy songs. I'll still give it a try and listen a few more times, maybe it'll grow on me but I don't think I'll love it..it's definitely their weakest album.

NME thinks SIAS is their best album? Really... REALLY? I've accepted the album, I like it even, but I still find it a bit all over the place, a little try hard at times, and lacking the timeless rock sound that I always felt made them so important in this day in age where rock music is basically dead.

I also hate how they criticize their early work, I still find those early albums and demos so brilliant.

Interesting. Thanks for posting ckgirlbr.

I so agree, HeatherAnne! Nothing compares to the earliers!

New music video for their third single off Suck it and See, The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala:

I love all the clips, but dislike the 'sexy' woman. Like Brianstorm, I guess. And I found it weird when the woman was being 'sexy' and Alex was there, sort of sinking to the ground. :s
I know the song is about a woman, but she didn't have to be like this.

Just saw them two nights in a row this weekend and it was so much fun. Alex put on the best shows I've seen from him in a few years and the songs from the new album actually grew on me quite a bit.

And I am SO HAPPY about his new haircut.

The three acoustic recordings Arctic Monkeys released of Alex playing Reckless Serenade, Suck It and See, and Love is a Laserquest on KEXP were released.

There's also another leaked B-side from the Hellcat Spangled Shalalala EP.

Little Illusion Machine (Wirral Riddler) - Miles Kane and the Death Ramps

I'm confused a bit by whether or not they go by The Death Ramps when they play with Miles. Is it another side project? I know he's touring with them right now.

I don't hate the song, though I don't love it.

Matt also released a silly bit of a backstage photo diary from Lollapalooza 2011.

lolla6.jpg

lolla7.jpg

lolla5.jpg

lolla9.jpg

lolla1.jpg

lolla3.jpg

lolla8.jpg

lolla2.jpg

Image Credits: f*ckyeaharcticmonkeys.tumblr.com

I'm patiently waiting for them to come back around to the East Coast. They have dates this fall in Baltimore and Philly, but no New York show scheduled. I'm hoping it means a surprise Halloween show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->