Art schools "owning" your work?

ladyday

Reaction score
Hello!
I heard somewhere that while somebody is attending an art/ fashion school-- the school has ownership to everything created or concieved at campus. Did I understand her wrong? She attended the same school that I would like to attend for fashion design (Academy of Art, San Francisco), but I'm a little concerned that it would be like "signing your soul away..."

Am I just being dramatic- or is there any truth to this?

I don't think that's true at all. Depends on if you signed anything when you enrolled I guess. I went to Ai and we had the choice whether we wanted to sign releases or not for each piece we made, which I never did. You should check with a teacher.

I'm at art school myself and at my art school (The Glasgow School of Art) this is not true. The Art School will credit themselves in that you are one of their students but that is as far as it will go. All our work is of your own and no one has the right to take it away from you.
I don't know where you heard that from but there cannot be an element of truth in it.

Thank you for the answers- that definately makes me feel relieved :flower:

It might be different between universities and actual art schools. But I'm an art major at the university of colorado and they have no ownership over my work.

for my school, they do not own any rights to use you design, but that's say if you join an show or something hosted by school, they'd have right to use the photo with your cridit.

But here's the thing, if your work is part of a larger project (not school project you get regularly), more like an experimental study or whatever that involove with school, they'd likely to own the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybabycrzy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->