American / United States Fashion Schools

Yeah, I like the technical aspect of F.I.T, but there student work seriously horrifies me sometimes. It just seems so unrealistic. I stand by my sketches and felt my designs were good, neat, chic and styled nicely. He showed me some student work and sketches of other students and told me to make sure that I made sure that my work didn't seem cheap. He told me to look at Calvin Klien, Armani, etc, which I didn't disagree on him with, but there's no way F.I.T will have me make clothes like this:
2.jpg

fitnyc.edu

Yeah, I like the technical aspect of F.I.T, but there student work seriously horrifies me sometimes. It just seems so unrealistic. I stand by my sketches and felt my designs were good, neat, chic and styled nicely. He showed me some student work and sketches of other students and told me to make sure that I made sure that my work didn't seem cheap. He told me to look at Calvin Klien, Armani, etc, which I didn't disagree on him with, but there's no way F.I.T will have me make clothes like this:
2.jpg

fitnyc.edu

Have you considered Parsons? It is well known that there are teachers that teach in both places. My patternmaking teacher at parsons taught production patternmaking at FIT.

Do some schools have things against each other? I was talking to an F.I.T rep today who was reviewing my portfolio, and when I told him that I admired Mcqueen and Galliano in their creativity, he told me to stop because they were "crap".

:huh:

wow, a little harsh.

I've heard if you go to Parsons you cant go to F.I.T and vice versa. I dont think its that bad with LCF and CSM.

wow, a little harsh.

I've heard if you go to Parsons you cant go to F.I.T and vice versa. I dont think its that bad with LCF and CSM.

Not true. There are teachers who teach at both colleges. If you're getting a degree at either college, you can't go to the other college simply because you don't have any time. The workload is insane at Parsons. I transferred from FIT to Parsons. They took half of my credits but I got in. There are some courses that parsons won't take as credit because they are FIT specific.

I would love to go to Parsons, but they don't accept you based on fashion experience. They focus more on your fine arts portfolio and since it's very competitive you need an amazing fine arts portfolio. I'm still applying to Parsons, but I don't have much of a fine arts portfolio, then I do a fashion one.

I would love to go to Parsons, but they don't accept you based on fashion experience. They focus more on your fine arts portfolio and since it's very competitive you need an amazing fine arts portfolio. I'm still applying to Parsons, but I don't have much of a fine arts portfolio, then I do a fashion one.

If you can come up to NYC, go to their seminars on portfolios. It gets filled up quickly, but they show you what they are looking for in a portfolio. It is very fine arts based because if you going to go there for the 3 year degree, you have to go through foundation which tacks on an extra year. I managed to skip foundation years for both schools because I was willing to go to another school, get credits (but no degree) and transfer the credits over. If you're ultimate goal is CSM, then I would apply for the 2 year program and see how you do there. It doesn't make sense to apply for a four year degree if you're going to another school anyway. What kind of experience do you have?

Art Center/ Parsons The New School for Design

Do any of you attend either of the two schools mentioned above?

I'll be applying as a transfer student, as I'd like to specialize in Advertising/ Fashion photography. Plus, I'm curious to see if any current students/ alumni had anything to say about both Art Center and or Parsons!

Any input would be appreciated! :smile:

did anyone got accepted to FIT for FALL08 (Fashion Design)? Im just starting my application stuff kinda feel lazy walking 8 block to the admission office? Anyone got hookups over there??? I got some serious questions so I have to go there :(

I applied to both FIT and Parsons and got into both. I did my research and thought about what I wanted to get out of fashion school and in the end choose fit. I'm really happy with my choice. I feel like Parsons is for the person who knows a lot of technical stuff already, but needs to be "taught" how to be creative. I'm a very creative person already, but there has always been a limit to what I can design because I just didn't know how to do it. I just finished my first semester at FIT (I started in Fall 07) and already can make most of the designs I had sketched out. I love FIT. I think there is some amazing talent coming out of there.... everyone is going to have a different opinion, but my advice to anyone seeking a design school in NYC is to visit both and draw your own opinion.

^i thought so... just wondering how the classes and students are in the night class? I would assume most of the people who takes the night classes have full time jobs, so I was wondering if these are the people who are more experience...
your taking fashion design right?

yeah I'm majoring in fashion design. Night classes are very very different from day. I like them better sometimes....but they are usually filled with continuing ed students, as well as people in the industry. So like, you have some students who work full time in the industry...you have some full time day students like me, who wanted to take a specific class that wasn't offered in the day, or maybe conflicted with the current schedule..then you have just random people who wanted to learn more about a certain thing (continuing ed). I took a tailoring class and there was a good handful of stay at home moms who liked to sew for fun and wanted to get some advanced tailoring skills. I like the mix. day classes are just really fast and really stressed and move at a much, much quicker pace. sometimes I like that though too, so it was good for me to take both day and night last semester. Also with night classes you get let out early pretty often...never with day classes.

^i owe you a pinkberry for that reply thanks
hopefully i get into FIT for fall

anyone ever been to cazenovia college and studied fashion merchandising there? or heard anything about the school?

Actually thats where i go haha. It's very veryyy small which has is advantages and disadvantages. The only thing I wish someone would have told me is that my credits wont transfer. I'd like to transfer to FIT but I'll have to start all over. It's a nice little school. The sewing machines suck. I'm not in merchandising but i have a lot of friends who are and they seem to like the program. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.:D

Fashion Schools

I know that FIDM is a really good fashion school. Can you all suggest any other schools that have great fashion design and fashion merchandising programs as well?:flower:

Eeek...Gibbs, FIDM and Brooks are not considered good fashion schools in the least....they're proprietory schools that make money off the students.

All private schools make money off their students. They are a business. The only major fashion school I'm aware of that is public is FIT.

I'm about to graduate from FIDM. I'm 36 and this is my second degree (I'm not young and naive, and I've been to several different universities).

I completely believe FIDM is an excellent school.

Brooks is not considered a good school and would probably not garner much respect if it's on your resume but FIDM is considered a good school by the industry even if they do make money off their students and are not so discreet about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->