American / United States Fashion Schools

All private schools make money off their students. They are a business. The only major fashion school I'm aware of that is public is FIT.

I'm about to graduate from FIDM. I'm 36 and this is my second degree (I'm not young and naive, and I've been to several different universities).

I completely believe FIDM is an excellent school.

I mean that the schools are for-profit and are, at their core, a business designed to make money. Not all private schools fall under the category. These are the schools you'll typically find advertising themselves in late-night commercials or on the sides of buses. FIDM may provide a good education but I would still encourage someone to look at FIT, Parsons or any number of schools first.

Eeek...Gibbs, FIDM and Brooks are not considered good fashion schools in the least....they're proprietory schools that make money off the students.

Another reason I put a space between them and F.I.T/Parsons

I am checking out F.I.T right now, can't believe its going to cost me $5570 a semester to get my BA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if the Art Institute schools any good? I am not too sure about those.:flower:

I think there's a thread on the Art Institutes ... use the advanced search, look for titles only in C&E and you should find it.

Do class rank and GPA give you an advantage of getting accepted?
Today I found out that I have lower score of GPA than the score I thought I had - 3.08.. I'm so disappointed and nervous at this point thinking that I may not be accepted to any of the schools I want to go to.
I REALLY want to go to Parsons and major in fashion design. My alternate choices are: FIT, Otis, Academy of Art University, and School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
Of course I know the portfolios are the priority but I'm so worried that my low GPA wouldn't let me get accepted to any of the schools. Someone please respond to my question? I really need a certain answer. I'm on the bulge of crying right now.:cry: I'm a junior in high school for reference. Please help me...

A 3.0 is good enough if your portfolio is strong, I'd imagine...and you still have an additional year to improve your GPA. I know for a fact that your GPA is good enough for the Academy of Art (open admissions) and SAIC (WAY more portfolio based, I know lots of people there).

^im working on my portfolio right now for fit, i have a few questions i dont want to clutter the thread ill send you a pm

I'm currently attending FIDM right now and I absolutely love this school, I've learnt a lot here. My only complaint is that there are A LOT of slackers here, and slacking isn't in my vocabulary :smile:

SCAD Atlanta

I'm a newbie and this is my first post ever! I'm so excited to be a member on this board!

I would like to know if anyone here has attended the Savannah College of Art and Design in Atlanta? If so, what was your major, how was your experience there, and would you recommend the school?

I noticed that they have a minor in accessories design...which is what I am considering, but the school is quite pricey. I am wondering if the education is worth the price...

are the only fashion schools in new york FIT and parsons? im planning on studying textile design and FIT has a program for this but parsons dont? im confused, is FIT the only school in new york that offers textile design?

I was wondering if anyone noticed the article posted on the wwd website that is titled "L.A. Fashion Schools Earn High Grades" if anyone could post that article, it would be very helpful and enlightening. thank you

Thank u guys for provide these useful information. But I found almost courses are focus on design area. My friendis studying Digital Art and New media art now. And she plans to apply for MA course next year. But she hopes she can work in fashio industry after that. Does anyone know some relative MA courses (like Fashion Promotion or Fashion media etc.) in USA?

"L.A. Fashion Schools Earn High Grades" WWD

I was wondering if anyone noticed the article posted on the wwd website that is titled "L.A. Fashion Schools Earn High Grades" if anyone could post that article, it would be very helpful and enlightening. thank you
I have to type this up since I subscribed to the paper copy and my scanner isn't working.

"L.A. Fashion Schools Earn High Grades" - Kathryn Hadeka

New York may have the Fashion Institute of Technology and Parson The New School for Design, but Los Angeles boasts its own world-class fashion schools as well. Here's a closer look.

Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising
The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, known as FIDM, is a private college in the heart of downtown Los Angeles' Garment District with campuses in Orange County, San Francisco and San Diego.

FIDM is an industry-driven community, fostering students' originality and expressiveness, preparing them for life outside of the classroom, as well. The Resource and Research Center at FIDM houses one of the largest fashion libraries on the West Coast, providing students access to trade publications, newspaper clippings, books and trend reports. In addition to print resources, the center offers online services.

Faculty at FIDM ranges from heads of ad agencies to fashion designers. Instructor Nancy Riegelman is the author of "9 Heads: A Guide to Drawing Fashion," a textbook used in fashion schools nationwide. FIDM offers degrees in a range of subjects: apparel manufacturing management, digital media, film and television costume, design, footwear design, jewelry design and international manufacturing. It also features product development, textile design, theater costume design, entertainment set design and decoration and visual communications. The school's museum gallery hosts the annual exhibit of award-nominated television and motion pictured costumes, many created by alumni.

Number of students
: 6000 full time
Tuition: Depending on majors, tuition ranges from $21,900 to $22,900 a year. Room and board is $3,000 a quarter.
Notable grads: Monique Lhuillier, Magda Berliner, Kevan Hall, and Pamela Skaist-Levy

Otis College of Art and Design
Otis is a four-year art and design college with four campuses based around Los Angeles. Fashion design students attend class in a wing of the California Market Center in downtown Los Angeles, where they have access to hundreds of apparel and accessories showrooms and multitude of textile and trim companies. Students at Otis are known for their highly creative fashion sense, and tend to view fashion as more of an art than merchandise.

One of Otis' strengths is its Professional Designer Mentorship Program, where designers such as John Varvatos, Francisco Costa, Vera Wang, Bob Mackie, Diane von Furstenberg, Trina Turk and BCBG's creative director, Lubov Azria, volunteer to provide mentorship and direction from sketching and fabric draping to production of the final garment. The best work by student designers is presented on the runway at Otis' annual scholarship fund-raising gala, held the first Saturday of May.

Current majors include architecture, communication arts, digital media, fashion design, fine arts, interactive product design and toy design.

Number of students:
1,100, with 200 in the fashion design program.
Tuition: Cost for 2007-08 is $37,000, with room and board available at an additional $9,000 a year.
Notable grads: Tom Ford, Cynthia Vincent, Rick Owens, and Eduardo Lucero.

^ No problem. The article makes me want to reconsider going to FIDM or Otis instead of AAU. I haven't decided where to go after finishing up my BA - Advertising. I've gone to AAU's summer program before and I loved every minute of it. Hard to choose.

How hard is it to get into FIT for their marketing major? What is important in their admissions decision?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momosdiary
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->