Barbie's 50th Anniversary Show F/W 09.10 New York

^YES! resort 09?! HAHA!

But guys, I don't get it?? Barbie's anniversary show, means many designers creating looks for the show? Like sonia rykiel's anniversary last season?

Cause I saw the catherine malandrino flag dress?

Last edited by a moderator:
some of these things could actually be worn and toned down. Obviously no one will walk the streets with that hair and makeup. but many of the pieces i would deffinately wear

This was so amazing. Barbie is the queen of fashion, and always has been :wink:

I love fun things like this.

Barbie's 50

Barbie celebrates 50th birthday at the catwalk

Feb 14 06:41 PM US/Eastern

New York's Fashion Week celebrated Barbie's 50th birthday Saturday with a catwalk debut for the famous doll.

Organized under tents in Bryant Park, close to Times Square, the event drew throngs of fans of the fantastic plastic model, many of them young girls brandishing their pink invitations in a bid to cut through the crowd.

Some 500 one foot-tall (29-centimeter) dolls were lined up in the entry hall inside huge letters spelling out Barbie's name.

Shrouded in pink extravaganza, the podium gave way to real-life models showing off specially-designed outfits by top designers and coifed "a la Barbie" with a high pony tail or hair draping their shoulders.

Models showed off twinkling outfits, tiaras and the black and white bathing suit the first Barbie wore in 1959. A young woman wearing a T-shirt that read "everyone needs a Ken" strutted her stuff while holding the hand a man bearing a striking resemblance to Barbie's plastic fiance.

The world's most-sold toy has often inspired designers, and Assouline Publishing distributed a specially-created book that shows the blond doll dressed in Prada, Karl Lagerfeld and Alexander McQueen.

Toymaker Mattel, Barbie's "father," has just signed a contract with the Council of Fashion Designers of America. The group's president, Diane von Furstenberg, said she saw in Barbie an independent and confident woman who has an amazing capacity to have fun while remaining elegant.

Barbie sales have slowed in the past seven years, however, since the emergence of the competitor Bratz doll, and fell another 21 percent in 2008, according to Mattel's latest figures.

Copyright AFP 2008

50 Designers in Barbie Runway Show Announced

New York NY (February 4, 2009) – For the first time ever, 50 designers will come together under one “Tent” for Barbie’s® first-ever runway show at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York on February 14th. Today, the brand released the official line-up of celebrated designers who will showcase one-of-a-kind, adult-size creations inspired by the renowned fashion doll. The epic fashion event will celebrate the past, present and future of fashion, with Barbie® doll as the muse. The show is part of a year-long, global celebration of Barbie’s 50th anniversary that includes pink carpet events, marquee partnerships, retail celebrations, must-have products and numerous tributes in design, fashion and more.

The complete list of designers (in alphabetical order) includes:
Alexander Wang
Anna Sui
Baby Phat
Badgley Mischka
Betsey Johnson
Bob Mackie
Brian Reyes
Calvin Klein
Carmen Marc Valvo
Catherine Malandrino
Chris Benz
Costello Tagliapietra
Derek Lam
Diane von Furstenberg
Donna Karan
Erin Fetherston
House of Field
Jeremy Scott
Juicy Couture
Kai Kuhne
Kenneth Cole
Koi Suwannagate
Lyn Devon
Marchesa
Michael Kors
Monique Lhuillier
Naeem Khan
Nanette Lepore
Nicole Miller
Norma Kamali
Peter Som
Rachel Roy
Rag & Bone
Rebecca Taylor
Reem Acra
Robert Best
Rosa Cha
The Blonds
Three As Four
Tibi
Tommy Hilfiger
Tory Burch
Tracy Reese
Trina Turk
Tuleh
Twinkle
Vena Cava
Vera Wang
Vivienne Tam
Yeohlee
Yigal Azrouel
barbiemedia.com

So who designed what?

There are definitely several pieces that I'd love to wear if I had the money.

Well its refreshing after all the leathers and blacksof Fall 09. BTW I am in L.O.V.E with the 2nd dress in #6.

All I know is that the American flag dress was designed by Diane von Furstenberg because Meryl Streep wore it, haha.

I did recognise some of the pieces, being a barbie collector myself (i know, i know:innocent:) here's just some of it

DVF
32.jpg
showimage.php

Anna Sui
33.jpg
showimage.php

Kimora Lee Simmons @ Baby Phat
30.jpg
showimage.php

Vera Wang
19.jpg
showimage.php

NYmag.com & Barbiemedia.com

All I know is that the American flag dress was designed by Diane von Furstenberg because Meryl Streep wore it, haha.

It's actually by Catherine Malandrino, like how I've mentioned a few posts back.:flower:
large_malandrino.jpg

blog.silive.com

Rachel Roy
1.jpg

Peter Som
7.jpg

Three As Four
27.jpg

Calvin Klein
39.jpg

Bob Mackie
48.jpg

The Blonds
49.jpg

Patricia Field
51.jpg

Source: NYmag.com

Found an interesting quote from Hannah Betts in telegraph.co.uk:

Fifty designers who have made outfit-ettes for the original fashion doll will compete for her attentions. Diane von Furstenberg, Anna Sui and British designers Roksanda Ilincic and Danielle Scutt are among them. Naturally, Christian Louboutin will be on hand to bestow bespoke pumps in Barbie Pantone 219 Pink.

WOW! I bet Mattel own that color!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->