Gareth Pugh F/W 09.10 Paris

Rick Owens... of course, I mean Gareth is sort of his protege. While there is a lot of Rickness here, I think there is far enough difference and uniqueness in Gareth's work for it to have it's own integrity. I think overall that this is very Gareth for me - the materials, especially. It looks more refined and heavily edited but I think i's still very 'him' and also very good. I want a lot of it. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
video killed the catwalk star.

the video was so well produced the clothes looked best in it, to me.

thus far this is my fav collection in paris , i was somewhat dissapointed with Balenciaga, the looks of this collection are excellent

the clothings look more wearable after each season. how can i not LIKE it! let's not hope beyonce will fill her wardrobe w/ ething Gareth Pugh again. jk

I'm really disappointed; this fashion week starts pretty bad with my favourite designers .

I don't mind the video, even if I prefer Pugh's shows because it's more interesting to see all those (former) amazing creations shaking on amazing music.
The collection is boring, and yes, it's too "Rick Owens"ish , there is energy or creativity as before

Afterparty?

id0a

themoment.nytimes.com

People mention technological influence on fashion...

exploring the video equation could prove a pivotal mode of action; not for installation purposes.

For 'augmented reality' considerations...or what may currently be theorized as 'holographics'...it's been included in mobile phones for next year & apple have been experimenting with displaying interactive images that immerse the user, as opposed to a monitor.

Those far-fetched hollywood movies aren't so far-fetched after all; it's upon us.

The point being here, is that we may be able to transmit a catwalk presentation in 3D into your front room. Or be situated visually, in the middle of a football match. Or be visually inside your favourite movie...In other words, take any multimedia format & find yourself inside that event, with it's pictures being transmitted around you, in a holographic form.

exciting times; oh & of course the domesticated robots Honda are putting into production.

yay.

Exciting concepts, very exciting, though if the technology/the apps are still in the experimental stage or due 'next year', they're not quite upon us yet. I remember watching technology shows 25 years ago that talked about this sort of stuff, and how we'd have it by 1989. Things never quite conform to the calendar.

But if we had such technology, would we get to the stage where we'd bypass the use of models and instead proceed to CGI? Would catwalks be completely archaic?

Also, I don't know if human beings would universally want to find themselves within situations or storylines, I do think the mind needs to view things at 'a remove' in order to maintain a sense of coherence and control. I can see the thrill-factor of 'total immersion' working well for some formats - sport, fashion, p*rn - but not for everything.

I can see the thrill-factor of 'total immersion' working well for some formats - sport, fashion, p*rn - but not for everything.

:lol:

Would love to have the models parading through my living-room though, holographic. Espeically since holograms can't trip in all the mess.
But we digress, the point is that new technology is coming. The bloggers are suddenly a force to be recconed with, and the society is changing to a less hiarchy(sp?)-based form. I think it's good that some designers sacrifice some potential reputation or sale to test the waters.

I think it would be even better if designers figured out how to 'test the water' while maximising sales in whatever technological climate they're currently in. I hate the idea of any artistic person failing for want of making decisions that keep their business afloat.

As for new technology and social change, John Gray, professor of European Thought at the London School of Economics, suggests that progress is mostly an illusion, and that people tend to be "over-impressed with present reality". People believe a utopian leap forward is almost upon us, when of course, it never really arrives.

But we have to be wildly optimistic about our future, or else we'd never do anything, we'd have no reason to go about our lives if we didn't think that in five years, things will be more exciting, and we'll all be groping holograms because that somehow represents an improvement on reality.

So in short, I do think Gareth Pugh would be better off making the effort to sell a few things, in order to fund the continuing presentation of his art. Holograms aren't quite here yet, so we still have to live in reality, at least for the 09/10 season.

I think it would be even better if designers figured out how to 'test the water' while maximising sales in whatever technological climate they're currently in. I hate the idea of any artistic person failing for want of making decisions that keep their business afloat.

As for new technology and social change, John Gray, professor of European Thought at the London School of Economics, suggests that progress is mostly an illusion, and that people tend to be "over-impressed with present reality". People believe a utopian leap forward is almost upon us, when of course, it never really arrives.

But we have to be wildly optimistic about our future, or else we'd never do anything, we'd have no reason to go about our lives if we didn't think that in five years, things will be more exciting, and we'll all be groping holograms because that somehow represents an improvement on reality.

So in short, I do think Gareth Pugh would be better off making the effort to sell a few things, in order to fund the continuing presentation of his art. Holograms aren't quite here yet, so we still have to live in reality, at least for the 09/10 season.

I recently saw a video from... 1988 or something, of the cutting new technology where a guy dialed a number, pressed the phone all he could into a large device, to read the green text on his big grey block that was the newspaper. Which was plotted in by hand at the newspaper central. This was just for the few rich, but some thought this could be big! 20 years later the printed newspaper is outdated before it's printed.

I don't think Pugh needs holograms, but a video did just fine. The blessing and the curse of this medium is that he has the full control over the finnished outcome. It makes for the ideal presentation of his clothes, but erases the spontanity of a fashion show - models tripping, smirking, falling over or stopping to wave franticly at a friend in the audience for example.

Bottom line is that for the most of us it doesn't really matter, we got our pics and even a video. From what I've heard the response from the people going to the show is mixed, but actually mostly positive as the pieces themselves impressed in the showroom. So I doubt this will actually hurt his sales, even though it's perhaps easy for us to say who weren't there, but "wanted pics" :rolleyes:

The video gave me extremely high expectations, I believed the collection would be so much more enthralling than what it actually appeared to be. I don't have much to say about this collection other than appearance versus reality is extremely apparent here.

The video gave me extremely high expectations, I believed the collection would be so much more enthralling than what it actually appeared to be. I don't have much to say about this collection other than appearance versus reality is extremely apparent here.

out of curiousity... this "reality" you speak of - do you mean still pictures or were you at the showroom?

out of curiousity... this "reality" you speak of - do you mean still pictures or were you at the showroom?

Oh, no, I wish. I didn't necessarily mean in literal context, but from those videos and the stills it just seemed like it was built up as a whole different kind of collection, a dark whimsicalness if you may. I meant appearance as in the stills though, how it seemed to be, and reality as in what the collection was truly like, no falsification or visual trickery (in my opinion).

Okey^^ Because I have the impression that many sees the video as the "appearance" and the stills as "real life", while the stills are suprisingly poor quality and contains very much blocks of black where there should be textures and folds. So someone take some proper pics of the clothes and I'm shure they'd be amazing. The paparazzi-shots of that one outfit shure looked fab ;D

2 capt.charly:
O_O I know that girl on right. I met her at paris fashion week SS09, she was waiting for models at YSL :shock::shock:

I knew I knew her!

look! your pic:

my pics:

she's the same.

and the girl on the left was at John Galliano SS09 and Lanvin SS09 for sure too. I'm sure I met her there.

Last edited by a moderator:
groping holograms tigerrouge? haha.

although, the p*rn*gr*ph*c industry would probably make a mint from such a concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->