Gareth Pugh F/W 09.10 Paris

I hate this video thing too.....it makes you feel the clothes so unobtainable...almost unreal :(....because you can't see the real thing....

and it also gives people like Cathy Horyn another reason to make fun of him :cry:...

see that image is what I mean......that cape would have been a knockout on the runway:o:heart:

sorry for so many posts....but while we wait for the full collection :innocent:

source / superfantasticpicturetime

gp4.jpg

gp3.jpg

gp2.jpg

gp1.jpg

superfantasticpicturetime

Well, each season, he shure knows to start a controvercy/discussion. I know I'm sounding like an uncritic Pugh-fanboy, but I really adore that he challenges the rules. Who says you have to have models walking down a runway and back? There are no rules for this, and the fact that he does it as an up-and-coming designer instead of playing safe to enshure success gets respect in my book!

I am sure everyone in here appreciates creativity and challenge, but some of are practical folks, so pics of the actual clothes would be a good thing.

But is it only the medium (video) that disturb you ? or is it the fact G.P. experiments with the idea of what a fashion show is ?

If a designer releases a video of his collection, who is being promoted - the designer, or the director who actually made the video? The director plays an enormous part in the creation of a video, so whose work are we seeing? We're seeing other people's work.

If you're a new designer, can you afford to submerge your aesthetic like this? It's like we've lost sight of "Gareth the designer" because we can't see his designs. They're hidden in the shadows in a video made by other people.

I do appreciate the idea of experimenting with the concept of a show. But there are 101 good reasons to retain the format and certainly, an intelligent design team will be able to dream up inventive ways of using a runway show to further both artistic and commercial aims.

Gareth's got good momentum at the moment, I don't want to see him waste his chances by going all 'art school' when he has to knuckle down to thinking about business, and how to adapt to being 'the new boy' that the world is watching

Gareth needs to find a balance between projecting an image of subversion while actually presenting solid work, so that he gains respect in a traditional way, for his skill at designing. Once he's established his skills and gained respect, then that's the time to really play around with expectations. But at the moment, he should concentrate on the clothes.

There are plenty of young designers that have come and gone, this conceptual stuff is nothing new, only the format changes with the years. That's why I'm saying there needs to be something more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Collection Proper Pictures Are Up At Wwd.com!!!!

edit: and a lukewarm review:

Gareth Pugh opted to surprise his audience and show his fall collection as a large-screen video projection starring Natasa Vojnovic as a Gothic model caught in a modern dance trance. It’s an approach that would probably play better in London (here it bordered close to parody once a club kid in the audience declared, “So cool!” while the footage had yet to roll), but the film was well executed in an artsy, avant-garde style.

As for Pugh’s message — strong and graphic — it was obvious, even if the clothes weren’t entirely clear. Between the graphic effects and the seemingly black-and-white production, it was hard to tell what was what. There was a breast-baring, slashed shirt worn with pleated, oversize palazzo pants, a bubble coat and several variations on a spiky pin motif. But fabrics and quality were impossible to discern and, ultimately, judgment should be withheld until a trip can be taken to the showroom.

edit 2: Tigerrouge: While I somewhat agree with you, I think the Gareth Pugh momentum is a case of make it or break it, and I love the fact that he doesn't compromise, he has his visions and will rather go down flag atop than conform. Maybe it's his gothpunk roots? :P
Also, a catwalk show requires stylists, make up artists, hair, lighting, stage design, model casting, music... there are already several things not done directly by the designer. I still think this video underlines the clothes nicely, and I would guess Gareth has Art Directed the video and supervised the visual outlook of the video.

edit 3: (jeez) I love the inflatable coat!
gareth-pugh23.jpg

wwd.com

Some of that outerwear is just a little too Rick Owens for comfort.

the video is cool and somewhat communicates the vision of the collection. but still it sort of feels like artsy fluff that obscures his actual work. and is not the first or best example of "questioning what a runway show is". good to see the wwd pics thanks. some of the pieces are not too impressive to me. isometimes i get a "trying too hard" vibe from his work. maybe as he matures as a designer his aesthetic will become more refined.

that aside i am a fan of his vision.

Yes, a catwalk show requires the work of many hands to make it happen, but the end result is a direct display of the designs of the designer. A video is more like the creation of a imaginary universe, you're moving away from a factual display of merchandise.

You could present a collection of clothes in a video, clothes created entirely from special effects, clothes which don't even exist except as CGI - but it's hard to fake clothes when a person has to wear them in front of other people.

I must restate that I like Gareth and hope to see him go far. But a designer who doesn't compromise is most likely a designer who can't or won't incorporate 'business sense' into their operations. The word 'compromise' isn't always a bad thing, especially if it leads to success. Because success means having enough money to continue to do what you love and you're good at, even if 20% of the time, you have to do some things you don't like doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->