Blog Design Technique & Tips

Reaction score
This is a new thread to discuss technical aspects of fashion blogging ...

Can anyone offer some advice on HTML coding? I am a bit familar with it but would like to bounce some ideas back and forth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been wanting to work on my blog for sometime now but my PC crashed which cooled my online activity, I wasn't able to do anything:( However things have changed and I'm thrilled to be back online once more. I am hoping this is the right area to ask for advice, regarding blog art. My blog is published on blogger and I wanted to change the header, is it possible to find free art headers for blogs, can anyone suggest any ideas or offer some links to sites.

Many thanks,

Jacqueline

I think you can have people design you anything you like on etsy.com

I think you can have people design you anything you like on etsy.com

I'm looking at the site now, thanks for the recos....did you use this site? I think I'll just contact them, but I'd much rather code it myself because I want to learn more about coding. I like your top pic, that's what I'm after an identity that immediately tells the viewer a bit about the blog.

I'm starting another blog geared towards industry professionals. There will be interviews etc, so this blog has to have it's own look.

Any other suggestions are gladly welcome but thanks Punky for suggesting that site.

To everyone that asked about html-coding, to code a blog from scratch you'll need much more than html, you'll need php, mysql etc. The easiest thing is to use a blogengine like Wordpress that you can host yourself, find a good layout to edit, and then edit the css (and the html/php if you wish) ^_^

To everyone that asked about html-coding, to code a blog from scratch you'll need much more than html, you'll need php, mysql etc. The easiest thing is to use a blogengine like Wordpress that you can host yourself, find a good layout to edit, and then edit the css (and the html/php if you wish) ^_^

ElectricAlyce thanks for clarifying, what I really meant to say was edit the layout. So much of the layouts don't really capture what I want to say especially going forward I truly want viewers to enjoy my blog.

ElectricAlyce thanks for clarifying, what I really meant to say was edit the layout. So much of the layouts don't really capture what I want to say especially going forward I truly want viewers to enjoy my blog.

Yeah, the layout is pretty important. I'm not shure how you do it with blogspot, livejournal etc. but it's pretty easy to alter the css with Wordpress. If you need help with it just let me know and I'll try to help ^_^

Yeah, the layout is pretty important. I'm not shure how you do it with blogspot, livejournal etc. but it's pretty easy to alter the css with Wordpress. If you need help with it just let me know and I'll try to help ^_^

It's a lot of back end coding with blogspot, is wordpress easier? I've heard good things about it, only problem is you can't run ads right?

Nevertheless I appreciate your help, I'll PM you. I'm going to look into paying to have it done also, doesn't hurt to look at other options especially for next blog.

I took a look at Etsy and they do design banners but I don't think they design entire blogs.

If anyone has any recos, I'd prefer to use a company/site that someone has had good response too.

I'm not hundred percent shure, but I've heard that wordpress doesn't support ads, that's right. But unless you run a bigger blog I wouldn't reccomend it anyway. As you said, layout and look is pretty important to attract visitors, and there is nothing like a big ol' adSense-banner to frighten people away. As said, you're gonna need A. LOT. of readers for google adsense or similar for it to pay off. Just my 0.002$ anyhoo

This is a new thread to discuss technical aspects of fashion blogging ...

Thanks fashionista-ta - I guess fashion is one of the areas with the biggest fetish for blogging, so it's an important thing to discuss :wink:

I really wanted to educate myself with personalising my blog myself so seeked out some sites to help me.

I found this one to be really great: http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/

I was able to give myself 3 columns, originally two.. and used any colours I wanted by using the universal html colour codes and editing it directly into the html code. There was a lot more I did using that website, which helped me work things out too.

Also, with Etsy, you can request blog-design via Alchemy: http://www.etsy.com/alchemy/ .. I've seen some requests there, and there are people that can do it, and will show you their previous creations.

But, I personally like to teach myself how to do everything, even if it takes hours.. at least then you have the flexibility to edit when you want, instead of seeking it.

The blog service I found that lets you customise your blog the easiest is http://www.pitas.com
You can create a design with html for your whole page
and also the separate blog entries
It's so simple. None of this weird widget/tags/etc stuff

I don't understand why blogger is so complicated
There is just too many codes to mess with

I'd like to stay with blogger though
it's so popular and more people have their own accounts and are willing to comment on each other's posts
I'll try to research some way to make the codes simpler :smile:

This is the page I am looking at so far:
http://woork.blogspot.com/2008/04/top-down-approach-to-simplify-your-css.html
It gives you an idea..
The codes are to separate the thing in sections
Just that in blogspot there is far too many sections
I tried editing my own template with what it says there, but I guess I am missing something because it's not working -_-

I really wanted to educate myself with personalising my blog myself so seeked out some sites to help me.

I found this one to be really great: http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/

I was able to give myself 3 columns, originally two.. and used any colours I wanted by using the universal html colour codes and editing it directly into the html code. There was a lot more I did using that website, which helped me work things out too.

Also, with Etsy, you can request blog-design via Alchemy: http://www.etsy.com/alchemy/ .. I've seen some requests there, and there are people that can do it, and will show you their previous creations.

But, I personally like to teach myself how to do everything, even if it takes hours.. at least then you have the flexibility to edit when you want, instead of seeking it.

Your blog looks quite good, thanks for providing those linsk, I will look at them in depth when I have a bit more time.

Thank you stylistforhire .. although I think you are going for a much more professional approach compared to mine! Yes this is a great thread!.. I'm always keen to learn a bit more about html and improving my blog design.

Took at look at your blog, really enjoyed it a lot! That picture of the ***********model was horrifying!!:sick:

Which blogger application are you using, is it Wordpress?

Given the work you've done I think it looks quite good. My concerns are to convey a creative blog matching the content. The blog I have now is all about shopping etc, I want it look a certain way definitely, you give it a bit of a facelift. I think it looks to blah.

What do you think? In fact I invite anyone to give opinions on my blog, I think it would help if we support each other in creating what we want. Exchanging links would be great I would definitely blog about some of the members especially if they have quality items they've designed or want to talk about.

Took at look at your blog, really enjoyed it a lot! That picture of the ************ model was horrifying!!:sick:

Which blogger application are you using, is it Wordpress?

Thanks, and yes, I use wordpress. Tried blogspot and livejournal for a while, but wordpress is the best I could find, plus it's free to use on your own server so you have hundred per cent control over everything.

I'll be back with more :ninja:

To gius & decadentdiamond:

I took a look at the links you posted from blogspot and truth be told my eyes blurred looking at it. What was your experience using the how to links? I'm going to attempt to redesign my blog this week, but I'd like to hear some feedback before starting. Like what worked for you and what didn't etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->