Born or Bred?...Style Discussion...

Definitely bred, and dependent on things such as location, wealth, health, etc. I worry when we say things like 'people are born with style' that we aren't taking into account class based distinctions -- for example, Bourdieu (1984) noted that the upper classes tended to value the aesthetic nature of clothing, while the working class prioritized functionality and value-for-money. Does this mean that, because working class prioritize different things, that they cannot or are not stylish? Is style something that only becomes a possibility when one has the financial means to prioritize the aesthetic nature of clothing over its functionality?

This being said, I think that some people have more of an aptitude for personal style than others - but once again, this is a learned behaviour highly dependent on social context.

There are lots of fashion influences that come from 'the wrong side of the track' ... rockabilly, chola ... how about blue jeans. Sometimes academics miss the point. There are plenty of WASPs who wear a uniform. In fact, I think they all do :wink:

whats the difference between stylish and fashionable? I can differentiate but which one are we talking about?

& re the comment about the working classes, I think in more recent times the working class person doesnt know style so they go for ostentatious things that they think are stylish. I could waffle on about this for hours *lol*

@fashionturnip
we're particularly talking about style in this thread...:flower:

For the most part I think style is born not bred. However, I think it can time for some people born with it to cultivate their sense of style. A person might not be stylish in their younger years however they are able to figure out how they want to dress through making mistakes or trying out different looks. And even when they weren't dressing their best, I think their is still something about how they look that gives an inkling that they know how to look good. Some people naturally have an innate sense of style whereas others have to work at understanding style. Perhaps, some people can be taught to dress in a stylish manner but I think their will still be something missing from their look. Truly stylish people have a sense of ease about how they look, even when it's a complicated or fancy way of dressing.

Creativity is at the heart of "style" for me. :heart:

One can learn the modernist aesthetic of interiors, or how to dress like a hipster or a blueblood or a fashionista - sure.

However, "style" is having vision to create something unique for oneself. Maybe comportment is part of it too, how one carries oneself.

Think of Jane Birkin deciding to carry a basket as a purse, or Edie Sedgwick deciding just to wear tights, and no skirts or pants, and so on. It's not just having stylish pieces and being well-turned out.

It's something to do with uniqueness and creativity. It's personality! This is definitely not bred.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->