Brands that need a makeover/overhaul

Discussion in 'Fashion... In Depth' started by squilliam, Mar 10, 2015.

1. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

^ I think Stefano should retire ... it would be nice to see some fresh blood and perspectives at Dolce & Gabbana.

2. FelipeV

FelipeV Member

Dolce & Gabbana
    Givenchy
    Balenciaga
    Alexander McQueen
    Jil Sander

3. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

Agreed. Jil Sander is a disappointment that not even a mother could love. Balenciaga and Givenchy are as dry as day old bread. I'm actually finding it more and more difficult to tell them apart. Alexander McQueen suffers from a lack of imagination. D&G is D&G, not much to say there.

FelipeV likes this.
  4. eugenius

eugenius Well-Known Member

I'm going to say Louis Vuitton & Burberry. They both seem to have a little bit of an identity crisis going on right now. Are they supposed to be high-fashion for the 1%, or the go-to brand for uber-cool millennials who represent the new nouveau riche? "Both!" doesn't really quite cut it for me. :unsure:

GivenchyHomme likes this.
  5. fashionista-ta

I'm feeling that Bottega Veneta needs an overhaul :ninja: I guess I didn't think it was that broken. When you make intrecciato with a weave as big as seatbelts, do you really need great artisans anymore? :huh: To me it sounded great to install someone from Celine at Bottega, but so far super disappointed in the results. The only thing I've seen that I really liked was some alligator pouches ... and I assume there's zero chance I will want to pay the pricetag :lol:

6. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

^^
    Isn’t it a bit early to say that. Bottega Veneta was a bit dusty lately...
    I think with time, they will manage to merge those two heritage in a more cohesive way.
    I think the problem is that a lot of pieces looks like prototypes but it won’t sell and they will decide accordingly. But I think Daniel Lee is good for Bottega. His approach to design needs to be less pretentious.

Louis Vuitton is not Moynat...
    It’s been a long time since it was about both. In fact, Vuitton from the moment they started to open stores overseas (before Arnault), they wanted to attract both.

High Fashion at that level can’t be 100% exclusive.
    Those brands don’t have identity crisis but commercial goals.

The 1% population is always going to have their custom luggages made by Vuitton and they will always have access to the most expensive pieces of RTW.

7. fashionista-ta

^ Yes, it is early, but I am so not feeling it ;) I guess I feel that Lee's brand of minimalism is in conflict with Bottega's artisanal heritage. His designs don't appear to utilize the weaving skills they've developed. Tomas did this very well, and with a great deal of variety. Lee seems to know how to showcase beautiful skins, but not the heritage workmanship. That to me is a problem.