Can you dress fun when you're older?

From the Times Online, some rules about how to break the rules. :P

Breaking the fashion rules

Who says you’re too old for a micro mini? Not us. Anything goes — whatever your age — as long as you wear it right

sarandon_585x385_578070h.jpg

(Karwai Tang)
Susan Sarandon

Shane Watson

The biggest change in fashion in the past decade has to be that the rules have loosened right up and the don'ts have now shrivelled to almost nothing. Even so, the old concept of dressing your age just won’t fade away. In spite of the evidence all around us that how you look in clothes bears no relation to the year you were born — Michelle Obama sleeveless on the cover of US Vogue, Elle Macpherson looking fitter in a minidress than models 10 years her junior, Helen Mirren hitting the beach in her red bikini — we still fall back on the same old mantras: fortysomethings shouldn’t wear short skirts; bikinis are undignified past 38. Every time we open a magazine, we see confirmation that what counts is not age but body shape and confidence. But still those rules that applied to the pre-Pilates-and-sushi generation keep sucking us back to what is and isn’t age-appropriate.

The time has come to lay the old taboos to rest: we can wear anything, we already are and, what is more, we really should, because the one thing guaranteed to age women faster than sun exposure is scuttling for the safe ground and covering up in chiffon shrugs. Of course there is a point at which women look ridiculous in hot pants. But thigh boots? If your legs are long enough, why not? Yes — as Sadie Frost discovered — you know it’s time to lower your hemlines when your kids start complaining. But that doesn’t mean putting away your arms, your wedges or even your lower thighs. What we need is advice on how to wear the banned stuff better, because, by and large, we know when we look ridiculous (we can work that part out for ourselves), and we can see that Obama looks a lot fresher going sleeveless than in a nice, safe cardie. So here are some of the classic no-we-can’ts — and lots of reasons why we can.

Things that always make you look older, no matter what
- Shoes from Ecco
- Round-neck cardies
- Below-the-knee hemlines
- Chiffon (post-40)
- Bouffant, stiff hair (see Agyness at the Met)
- Sugar pink
- Pastel pashminas

Things that remind people you are trying to look young (so wear with caution)
- Biker jackets
- Neon colours
- Hair accessories
- Hoodies
- Rock-band T-shirts
- Ripped jeans
- Vests
- Bright lipstick

Things you thought you couldn’t wear at any age, but now you actually can
- Tailored leather (especially that Balmain jacket)
- Backless
- Bandage dresses
- Denim jackets

CLEAVAGE
Contrary to popular belief, age is not the big deciding factor here. Liz Hurley’s cleavage is pufftastic and defies all the rules of good taste: she hoicks it up, squeezes it in, lets it spill out a bit — everything you would have thought would make a 44-year-old woman look desperate — and yet it’s (nearly) always a triumph. Older décolleté is about glossy volume and drawing the line far enough above the nipple so there’s absolutely no risk of glimpsing it.
If in doubt Don’t do it. If you’re not convinced, nobody else will be.
The real cutoff date There isn’t one, if Sophia Loren and Joan Collins are anything to go by.
What you should avoid Low, scooped necklines or the keyhole cleavage. Also, big cleavage in the daytime. And veiny bosoms are not appealing, so use a cover-up stick, or a cover-up dress.
Who does it best Hurley, Helen Mirren, Susan Sarandon (above). Out and justifiably proud.

BIKINIS
If you’ve always been comfortable in a bikini, there’s no reason to stop wearing one. You don’t have to be Elle Macpherson fit, just toned enough to justify showing the world your stomach. That said, most fortysomething bikini-wearers need to move away from the itsy-bitsy. Boy pants have that surfer vibe, as well as being more substantial. The 1950s bikini (big pants, big top) is hot for now, but you do need good hips to carry it off.
If in doubt Try 1950s girdle pants, à la Kim Cattrall (above). Or a grown-up, generously cut bikini, like Kelly Brook.
The real cutoff date When you’re scaring the other swimmers.
What you should avoid Tiny string bikinis. Don’t even think about a thong. Retro patterns such as 1970s stripes or cherries, and anything broderie anglaise, gingham or otherwise Lolita-like.

PRINTS
Yes, you can wear florals. That said, exercise extreme caution. They come in several categories — twee, blowsy, Women’s Institute; flash and bold; and so-abstract-you-can’t-tell-it’s-a-floral. But it’s not the print that matters so much as what it’s printed on. You can wear pretty much any pattern, provided the cut is unfussy and grown-up and you toughen up the rest of your look (a shrunken denim jacket counterbalances the sugar content).
If in doubt Avoid fussy and keep everything else sharp. Florals demand tough ankle boots, not kitten heels.
The real cutoff date There isn’t one. But the more graphic prints do work better on the over-40s.
What you should avoid Blowsy flower prints in muddy colours are the worst. And never be tempted to wear floral-printed chiffon over the age of 30 or you’ll end up looking like Hyacinth Bucket.
Who does it best Jo Wood (above) rock-chicks up a floral dress with a sharp jacket and boots. She gets away with polka dots, too.

BARE ARMS
The rule is: if you’ve got the definition, flaunt ’em. Michelle Obama gets hers out all the time, because they’re her No 1 asset. Anna Wintour, at 59, looks younger and brighter with her arms on show than with them half-hidden under a cardie. (Showing flesh stops you looking old, and arms are a safer bet than thighs.) Strapless is harder to pull off (it’s the armpit-creasing). If you have pretty shoulders, then compromise with an off-the-shoulder strap (see Nigella).
If in doubt For the effect without the commitment, sling on a shrunken cardigan — just make sure it’s very, very small.
The real cutoff date When your arms look unhealthy.
What you should avoid Getting too thin. Stringy biceps are very ageing.
Who does it best Michelle Pfeiffer, Obama (above), biceps queen Madonna in those Louis Vuitton ads.

SHORT SKIRTS
Anyone can wear short, provided they have the legs for it. However, texture issues are more likely to strike older legs, so, while short goes on and on thanks to silhouette-enhancing opaque tights (see Mary Portas), bare and short definitely has a cutoff date. A short shirt dress can look great on a 44-year-old, but a ra-ra skirt will make her look like a try-hard. Past your late thirties, make the legs your one area of exposure. No cleavage. No arms. No fuss. And definitely no chiffon.
If in doubt Wear cropped leggings underneath, à la Madonna.
The real cutoff date If you are cute and pocket-sized, you can go on for ever. But chances are you won’t want to.
What you should avoid Flared miniskirts, sheer fabrics.
Who does it best Sharon Stone (above), Carine Roitfeld.

FASHION SHOES
Not only is it okay to wear fashion shoes at any age, it’s vital. Shoes keep you in the game. Put on something average with average accessories and you will probably look your age. Add a pair of leopard-print platforms and you are somebody edgy who gets it. As Carine Roitfeld, the 54-year-old editor of French Vogue, puts it, the secret of looking young is to “stay a bit rock’n’roll” — and, besides attitude, shoes and hair are key.
If in doubt Go half an inch lower. And check your feet after standing. Bulging veins are as ageing as black teeth.
The real cutoff date Never. So long as you can walk properly.
What you should avoid Cheap or uncomfortable. Roitfeld says snake is better on older women than leopard. Who knew?
Who does it best Roitfeld (right), Princess Letizia of Asturias.

the original article is here: http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...article6563103.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

That was a great article! Thanks for posting!

the great thing about dressing off-the-wall is it sort of freezes your age when done right.

i think as you get older you can still push boundaries, as long as it's done in a refined way. when i wear something outlandish (giant vintage skirt or insane vintage dress), i do a low, tight ponytail or chignon, clean makeup, a modern shoe. it's all in the styling. this brings it up to a woman in her late 20's who loves fashion versus a woman who is still experimenting with clothes because she's clueless on her personal style (not that there's anything wrong with the latter...i'm still there on some days).

This is a good point. I'm not very good at styling...maybe that is my major problem lol

mostly good points but i completely disagree that below the knee hemlines always make you look older. there is a reason designers like dries van noten, marni and rick owens cut flattering skirts that are longer, its because they do it well and women love to wear them because they look good on.

i wear shorter hemlines with opague tights but longer ones with bare legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Yes, I agree with that ... the majority of my skirts are longer, that length is good with my particular proportions, and that doesn't change with age. I think longer skirts are quite often very good on older women. I'm remember a picture of a gallery owner in the paper in a long skirt and she looked fabulous. Not to mention the fact that older women are often able to carry off drama much better than younger ones--and frequently longer skirts are more dramatic.

PS I also disagree that keyhole cleavage is necessarily bad on an older woman. It's a fine line, but 45 is also different from 75 and a smoker :ninja: I'm also not sure that this particular Susan Sarandon shot is the very best example ...

Helen Mirren always seems to strike the right note.

not really... my style is very chic and old people could be fun by wearing jewel toned pumps or those fabulous kimmy choos and still look age appropriatte but the only thing is they have to not go over board

^ Loved the article, and the threat of looking like Hyacinth Bucket :lol:
'Bou-quet!' :lol:

Also, I don't see sugar pink as a no-exceptions pitfall; there needs to be another qualifier, like sugar pink elastic waist twill pants perhaps...

You can and cannot. The truth is, you have to be more careful when you are older, and it is tougher to still look classy yet fun when you are mature. Good quality and fit, don't try to compete with teenager boopers, and good luck!

(I swore I wrote a reply to thread this once. I guess it evaporated!)

rockitgirl, I love this thread. :heart:

I think this is an interesting topic. Now, if I'm interpreting your posts right, but "fun" you mean creative, eccentric (there's a thread for that), individual style rather than trendy, youthful, mutton dressed as lamb, right?

If that's the case, no, I don't think one is ever too old to dress in artistic and interesting ways. I do think it evolves over time though - well, I think everyone's clothing should. I've never understood people who create a uniform and wear it their entire life. In my case, when I was a teen I was inspired by (no laughing!) a sort of cyber goth/gothic lolita aesthetic. Now I like the grown-up version of that: McQueen, CdG, Rodarte. In those days I would have bought a cheap skirt with a lot of zippers. Now I buy one of better quality and fit with a bit of punk detailing. I haven't forced myself to do this, btw, but as my eye has become better I'm drawn to such things, if that makes any sense.

I do feel like there is a market out there for the kids who grew up shopping at Hot Topic and Camden. They can't have all become khaki wearing bankers? This is true of myself and most of my friends. We don't want to buy boring clothes at Saks and Nordstrom. We're young, so while we have some money, we also can't always afford super high-end designer. We're also too busy to scour all the vintage shops. There's really very few places for us to shop unless we just want designer denim and sl*tty tops.

Every once in a while, I'll see someone in their 60's (and beyond!) on the street who epitomizes true individual style that not costume-y. I find those people so inspirational. It's clear to me from seeing these people that if what you're wearing makes you feel confident and beautiful and like your *true* self, it doesn't matter if it's considered unusual or unfashionable. I think that's why a lot of make-over shows bug me. They make people traditionally pretty but sometimes they clearly strip people of their individuality.

And yeah, I disagree about sugar pink and skirts below the knee being aging! :lol:

The article...I don't see how she can say that pink, floral chiffon, pastel pashinas etc. are categorically ageing. She's not very imaginative, and her stylistic suggestions are highly dangerous: denim jacket to offset florals...?! Rock'n'roll? Sure, Carine pulls it off, but failed attempts at age-appropriateness are more ageing than anything...:innocent: As soon as we try to manipulate how others see us, it always shows.

I agree with luckyme and cyngenoir that Dries, Marni, CdG, Owens, and such designers with their own timeless artistic vision are much more on the right track. That's the level of self-knowledge and confidence required...when we stray from expressing our true timeless personality, that's when it looks not only ageing but fake and try-hard. As with anything.

I think it is very simple: find something which matches your body and personality and it will work :flower:

^ Agreed.

It really is about feeling confident in what you are wearing.

I just saw this young couple walking down the street and I had to laugh. I really wanted to take their photo for a site like http://www.latfh.com/ or something. :lol:

But the thing is, they weren't dressed horribly or even all that trendy. They were young and cute and they looked like they had just cleaned out an American Apparel. The problem was that they looked SO uncomfortable and self-conscious. They looked like they desperately wanted to join a clique they were not part of. I felt a little sad for them.

^ Agreed.

It really is about feeling confident in what you are wearing.

This is exactly the point I was going to make. I turned 26 in February, not long after having my first baby, and for a while I was completely lost with regards to my personal style. I think there's something about a big change in your life that makes you really stop and consider the way you dress.
Until very recently, I abandoned my love of fashion completely, reasoning that I was too old to be wearing eclectic clothes (even though it was what I'd always been known for in my circle of friends) and since I now had a son, I should look more like a 'mother' and do 'mother-y' things. For six months I tried to squeeze myself into a box I didn't fit into, wearing bland clothes and not even really bothering with my hair. They were the most miserable six months of my life and I felt like I had no idea who I was anymore.

Then one day I just had an epiphany I suppose, I just realised that because I've become a mother, it doesn't mean I'm not still the same person I was before. I can't go out partying like I used to, but I can still go on the odd night out if we can find a willing babysitter. And it's the same with my style. Now I'm 26 years old, I certainly wouldn't wear some of the more madcap things, such as a tutu, and I wouldn't go out wearing a short skirt and low-cut top either. But that said, I never really wore things like that anyway. I do still wear printed tights and leggings, I have bought some harem pants and I'm still a big fan of colour and print. I'm an eclectic dresser, and I think my wardrobe will always have slightly zany pieces in it - as I get older I'll probably just start to tone them down a little by pairing them with more plain clothes. Or then again, maybe I won't!

I think more than adjusting to what you think society and the town you live in expects of you, you should fit around what you feel comfortable in. As I like to say, 'it's not what you wear, it's the way that you wear it'! :D

when i was younger, i sometimes did "crazy" outfits
now that i'm older ie near 40, if i'm in the mood, i do "eccentric" to a very mild degree
but really they're the same in spirit
we're never too old for anything

I have been thinking exactly the same recently. I am approaching 29 and all of a sudden I feel so old. I am really thinking about what I can get away with but its annoying because I am finally becoming confident enough to wear the outfits I have always fantasied about wearing. The only rules I think now is does it flatter me? and I will never wear a denim mini skirt or my hair in pigtails again.

I am 33 and I don't feel old at all. There are things which I don't wear because they don't fit me, but they never did and I never wore them, so it has nothing to do with age, but with my figure, which is pretty much hour glass shape.

I still wear a few items from my childhood and nobody wonders about that. To be honest I am much more happy about my look now than ten years ago. Only my bosom changed and that to the better ^_^

^ I've noticed that some people are no fun at any age ... :innocent: Let's not be them :wink:

I think pretty much any fashion is available to all ages. All they really require is the moxy to wear them. But I have seen some rather hideous combinations by older folk. I don't want to say "Dress your age", but ultimately, I feel that you should dress in a way that suits you and flatters your body.

My wife dresses for fun all the time. Haloween is her favorite holiday. First let me tell you about her. She is 5'8" and about 135 - 140 pounds. She is a 6 in pants and 8 in blouses. She grew up in Nice France which is about 10 miles from Italy. Her father is Italian and her mom is half French and half Italian. Well we live in the Washington DC area so frankly considering where she grew up and Washington is sooooooooooo Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuufffy, it does not take much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->