How will you dress when you're older?

I think I'll still wear jeans and anything oversized on top.

Well...maybe I'll start dressing wackier. When you're young you have to look pretty and all that, but I just want to look crazy - never brush my hair, wear worn out jeans and too big shirts or huge voluminous dresses...like now, only bigger. Maybe I'll even start to wear colours. And no makeup! Like my English professor pretty much, I love that woman :rofl:

yeah i kind of have this fantasy of myself as this old eccentric academic...or at least myself dressing like one. :lol: wearing eye glasses with the deep red thick frames, letting my hair stay frizzy, wearing no makeup...or maybe just a bit of black eyeliner. lots of voluminous pieces....linen....birkenstocks...lots of black and always layers. bold jewelry, if any at all. :heart: :innocent:....

the same. dress your age is bullsh*t(jesus. hello east-berlin 1950).

look at keith richards.

just more hats and scarves.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe a few less accessories Ida!. :lol:...i think renata molho (i posted a pic of her on the previous page with the 'geek glasses' and the big leather satchel) is the epitome of what i want to be as i age. :wub: here's one more pic of her from the sartorialist. i wish he'd just shoot her again and again, day after day. she is eccentric without being too offbeat...i am so drawn to her :heart:

Attachments

• RenataMolho.jpg
    RenataMolho.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 9
the same. dress your age is bullsh*t(jesus. hello east-berlin 1950).

look at keith richards.

just more hats and scarves.

ok wait i need to explain i think.

obviously really short skirts and pink belly-tops etcetc looks like **** on 40yearolds. but they look like **** on 18yearolds too.

i just wear blacks and stuff, and that works pretty much any age. i dont think its a good idea to go 'mmm ok im 40 need to change wardrobe'

cliche but one has to be oneself.

The pics you posted are great Adorefaith, great selection!

I think style has nothing to do with age. You dress well or you don´t, it doesn´t matter if you´re youngish or oldish.

You can learn a lot with the years, by trial and error. I´ve had punkish bangs,I´ve worn leggings and neon colours, I´ve had bad perms.... (is there any other kind?), and soooooo on

I´ve commited my fair share of sins. That served me to learn a lot about my face and my body.

So now I don´t need to try a lot of fads because I know what flatters me and what makes me look bad. Also you learn about age-appropiate, and you realize that even if your body is still in great shape, some garments age you by contrast, so you have to stay away from them like the plague.

Miniskirts, too tiny bikinis, short shorts, sweats, midriff baring anything, "funny" shoes or "quirky" T-shirts, etc etc are a recipe for disaster if you´re over 30

So now I don´t need to try a lot of fads because I know what flatters me and what makes me look bad.

yes...that's what i look forward to...getting better & better at that..and i think that's part of knowing yourself better and feeling more comfortable with yourself...on the inside and the outside..:heart:

ok wait i need to explain i think.

obviously really short skirts and pink belly-tops etcetc looks like **** on 40yearolds. but they look like **** on 18yearolds too.

i just wear blacks and stuff, and that works pretty much any age. i dont think its a good idea to go 'mmm ok im 40 need to change wardrobe'

cliche but one has to be oneself.

Trust me, there is a need to make a change :wink: It would be interesting to know if anyone around me has actually noticed ... but I have. Basically you get to a point where "cute" and "girlish" suddenly seem to have an expiration date, and you start looking for something that doesn't ... and btw, I did this not when I turned 40, but beforehand when it became clear it was coming :lol:

Since pictures have been posted as examples, I just remembered that I have a picture saved on my computer that I saved after seeing it in the New York street style topic and it's a good example of how I might end up dressing when I'm older. And I love the pictures of Renata Molho. She's looks so comfortable in those pictures.
source: http://altamiranyc.blogspot.com/

goldgloves.jpg

newprincesita your posts are wonderful..:flower:

here are a few woman who i think look as though they're aging gracefully and dressing wonderfully, whatever their ages..they just look comfortable in their own skin...that's what i hope age brings more of..:heart:

thesartorialist, elle, celebutopia

It really does ... it absolutely does.

I too love Lauren Hutton. I read that she regrets having injections done around her eyes some years ago ... she says her wrinkles didn't come back the same, that they were "more beautiful" before the injections. I know what she means ... those little curly wrinkles at the corner can look like an extension of your lashes :P

Dunno. I've gone a bit backward on my last post.. "dress like an old man" ..I think growing old gracefully would be dull and being old would be a good time to start wearing what I always wanted to. And I hope, when i'm that old, I'll be able to afford it.
Lacroix, Valli, Arora

ManishArora.jpg

Manish Arora
A/W 08-09

With Valli Victorias.

(www.vogue.co.uk)

I was thinking about starting a thread like this.

Except, I wanted to call it "At what age will the fashion thing end for you?"

At what point is wearing sweaters with candy canes as buttons okay? When is wearing shirts with the dangling kitty "Hang In There" an okay thing to wear in public? When do we let go? Technically, I don't think we give up (if we haven't tried in the first place).

Teachers pull this all the time: the themed sweaters for the holiday season. :rolleyes:

Never.... never, never, never. :ninja::innocent:

I have never even thought about how I will dress when older.
I guess it depends on how much $ I have and how my body holds up.:lol:

I do remember being very little and wanting to dress like my mum in the summer.
Long printed skirts with a singlet and lots of jewerly.
:heart:

^ I thought there was a law that teachers had to wear those candy cane sweaters at Christmas time :innocent:

When I was younger my attire was very classic and so I always thought I'd be one of those women in Chanel suits and round-toed pumps. Instead, my style gets younger and younger every year that I turn.

reminds me of bridget jones and that stupid raindeer jumper..:lol:

that crazy nut bag lady with platinum hair, way too much makeup, too many accesories, and a cigarette holder with a cigarette burned halfway down...

I hope to start wearing heels again, my feet & legs have gotten so lazy from wearing flats all the time, I can't adjust back.......
and I also hope my style won't change it will just become more defined as I age.

Only things that will going to change in the way i dress will be skirts and colors probabaly..I will be wearing more skirts and darker colors..But,who knows,i think it is up to what i will come through in my life..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->