Christian Dior Haute Couture F/W 2015.16 Paris

haute-couture-autumn-winter-2015-2016-fashion-show_width_1284.jpg

dior.com

Am I the only one who can actually see a modernization of Christian's Dior work? Specially the jackets. The jackets are SO Dior. It's not his fault that every single designer out there tries to copy Christian's work.

After watching the video again, I can say this is his best collection for the house to date.

God what I wouldn't do for some sort of grand gesture from Simons in his Haute Couture work. He's occasionally reached for that but never quite followed through.

I think that's really why his work at this house leaves me so cold; it's very quiet and somewhat unambitious in its scope. It doesn't seem to reach for the dizzying heights that make couture so special, that feeling that something has been so obsessively worked or researched or perfected and then presented in a way that either knocks you over the head with its grandness or simply sweeps you away with it. I don't just mean the flash and the glitz and the drama of, say, Galliano. Lagerfeld brings his own brand of drama. The duo at Valentino bring their own brand of drama. Versace brings its own drama. Gaultier brings his own drama. Lacroix had his own brand of it. Whichever means they choose to create it, it's there, and it's palpable when they're at their best (or, frankly, even when they aren't). Dior just doesn't have that anymore. It doesn't leave you with the feeling that what you're looking at is the most special thing you've ever seen.

Raf articulates the concepts and ideas behind his collections brilliantly, yet still he hasn't managed to define what his Christian Dior actually is.

That might be the main problem I'm noticing with Simons and his work at Dior as a whole. He's so wrapped up in semiotics that he's afraid or unable to really let vision and ideas really run free. Or, bottom line, maybe he simply doesn't have that vision or creativity. It's almost like he's a really well-read and smart academic who is unable to fully tap into his genuinely creative side.

You can see he was clearly inspired by LV resort, LV's resort was much more interesting than Dior's Couture lol.
Very dull and boring, I mean its fine as a Jil Sander RTW collection but Dior?
I think Simons at Dior is a square peg in a round hole. This looked like a mish mash of LV resort and Chloe RTW , but rendered much more dull and boring.

I just searched for "medieval costumes" on google and figured out why some of you said it was too LV by NG or Chloe :innocent:

I really like the coats that make me think of the priest. I also adore the feather details but i wish there were more of them.

I like it but mostly cause it doesn't look very "Dior", I see references to other designers I like best.

As usual, the coats are horrible..
I think the collection is good (there are a lot of nice pieces), but i expect much better than this from Dior..I'm not impressed by Raf's work..

As usual in Dior shows since Simons debut: The Venue is more "couture" than the clothes.

God what I wouldn't do for some sort of grand gesture from Simons in his Haute Couture work. He's occasionally reached for that but never quite followed through.

I think that's really why his work at this house leaves me so cold; it's very quiet and somewhat unambitious in its scope. It doesn't seem to reach for the dizzying heights that make couture so special, that feeling that something has been so obsessively worked or researched or perfected and then presented in a way that either knocks you over the head with its grandness or simply sweeps you away with it. I don't just mean the flash and the glitz and the drama of, say, Galliano. Lagerfeld brings his own brand of drama. The duo at Valentino bring their own brand of drama. Versace brings its own drama. Gaultier brings his own drama. Lacroix had his own brand of it. Whichever means they choose to create it, it's there, and it's palpable when they're at their best (or, frankly, even when they aren't). Dior just doesn't have that anymore. It doesn't leave you with the feeling that what you're looking at is the most special thing you've ever seen.

That`s what I ment when I said that the "Haute" and the "Couture" part of the collection is missing

This is jil sander couture, not dior couture. Also interesting that he used the more demure Peter Phillips instead of experimental pat mcgrath for make up.

This is jil sander couture, not dior couture.

It's kinda been that way since he got the gig. People like to just pass that criticism off as a comparison to Galliano's extravagant displays, but it's not. Simons' aesthetics is minimalist (even though he denies he is), and it shows in the design. He has one dress form - form fitting top, pinched waist, poof skirt. The skill of the ateliers is definitely present - but they become muted by such clinical designs.

Am I the only one who can actually see a modernization of Christian's Dior work? Specially the jackets. The jackets are SO Dior. It's not his fault that every single designer out there tries to copy Christian's work.

I've seen it, too...in practically every collection. But after just seeing LV resort 2 months ago and the immediate similarities to that plus Celine and Chloe collections, that's what I immediately mentally compare it to and those designers did a better job.

I liked some of the looks in this collection but I've never been a fan of prints like these but then again I don't like Impressionism at all.

It's kinda been that way since he got the gig. People like to just pass that criticism off as a comparison to Galliano's extravagant displays, but it's not. Simons' aesthetics is minimalist (even though he denies he is), and it shows in the design. He has one dress form - form fitting top, pinched waist, poof skirt. The skill of the ateliers is definitely present - but they become muted by such clinical designs.

The thing is though Dior has always been about feminine glamour and extravagance, so minimalist futurisric slightly androgynous Raf just don't fit because he's the exact opposite. Actually Dior brought back older styles, he brought back the extravagance and glamour that was lost in women's wear after world War 2

This is jil sander couture, not dior couture. Also interesting that he used the more demure Peter Phillips instead of experimental pat mcgrath for make up.

i thought he always did every show?

Some of the pieces looked like a horrible attempt to recreate Galliano's Dior, along with Louis Vuitton and Gucci. However, there were 3 or 4 pieces I really liked surprisingly. I always reiterate this but once again, Raf is not and never will be a couturier.

This is Raf collection I must say instead of Dior, the collection wasn't bad at all it's quiet luxury as it should be. But it just didn't scream Dior that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->