Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 06 Paris

Diorling said:
The song in the background at the beginning is Madonna Issac and the words are The Beast Within by Madonna...just said by someone else. That song is pretty chilling...

Seems like the whole Confessions of a Dancefloor CD is being used, I heard some of...forgot the name of the song.

Ah...found my answer!!

:heart:

So I guess Madonna used the Book of Revelation as her inspiration?
Funny...I thought they just had some random girl recite parts of the Bible...

At least he could have made the blood splashing look a bit more real..... He should have at least tried splashing paint on a paper just to see how it looks, because it's SO blatantly fake looking... and it's all in the wrong places... I mean, pants that are bloody at the bottom.....!? Where on earth did he get such a weird idea?

And he could have slashed the clothes in a more natural way... :ninja:

The color palette is simply terrible and a lot of the dresses are EXTREMELY tacky.

Foxie-Pooh said:
So I guess Madonna used the Book of Revelation as her inspiration?
Funny...I thought they just had some random girl recite parts of the Bible...
I think so. It was much better on the Reinvention Tour, complete with the video, it was so chilling. Also Madonna should have recited it, she gives it more ooomph...

Anyway I was coming back here to say I officially think this is the worst Dior couture ever, so uninspired, normally Galliano is many completely different references all correlated to each other in the way only Galliano can do. This is just...devoid of any thought, maybe he saw the movie Hostel?

This I love, though I KNOW Ive seen it before on the Dior runway...

capt.xfm10901231553.france_fashion_xfm109.jpg

The more I read the comments and see the video, I realize that this is just pure spectacle. But one must love it. There are some beautiful dresses but Galliano does not develop them. It would have been a more powerful collection if their was a certain contrast between beauty and the brutality of the Revolution. The whole concept of the blood palatable if it had been almost flowing from the dresses (sequins perhaps?). The last dress is just hideous.

But then again...It is pure spectacle and this is what works for Christian Dior and has been working ever since the infamous Matrix collection. Was the media fascinated about the demure SS05RTW collection? Probably not. Paris has Chanel for traditional Haute Couture, is there a need for another.

Lena said:
^
ditto

people, couture is more than a spectacle to entertain the masses and get free publicity time for the fashion houses...
if the clothes are not right, the collection is off,
like with all rtw collections, this is still fashion, not entertainment business..

totally agree, trhough the years i´ve realised that if they made me choose my favourite Dior hc show or my favourite Dior Hc pieces they will all be wearable ones done with the most amazing techniques and exquisite materials that only one can achieve by looking at Haute Couture, i think that couture has to be entertaining and has to make people talk about it but in this season although we are talking about it, most of us are doing it for all the wrong reasons, this is not even about if the collection is too taky or too garish or too boring this is about the collection being totally wrong and dissapointing and not representing the craft of couture at all, i don´t know why if there are a lot of unhappy spoters with fashion experience the collection have had purely great reviews on the net, was it to good on real life maybe or by telling what you really think about it you will be in danger of loosing your head a la Marie Antoinette?, i waited for the video of the show to made my final opinion about it and although it looked much better with movement and music is still a collection that i find very hard to relate to, it is grotesque, violent and i cannot find a positive message on it, pretty much a wasted season at Dior hate to admit and by the way i have the feeling John had wanted to go violent for a while, remember those gossips telling that he wanted to do a "dark" collection for his own line for ss 04 and that it was forbidden by LVMH, maybe he found the right references this time to convince them to do it, i think that a designer have to be able to impress in a positive way, by looking at that gostly make up and that tattoed 1789 i don´t think "oh my god!! wow!!", we all know he can shock but that´s not good enaugh sometimes but maybe i´ve become jaded and wanna say my god wow for simpler fashionable reasons

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess you either love this collection, hate it, or your sitting in the middle

tricotineacetat said:
I bet Hedi Slimane had a good laught when he saw all this... he already did the trompe l´oeill blood stains in his S/S 2002 collection and I already loved the use of it back then... at Galliano, I only like the pearl necklace with blood splattered all over it.

Well, to give Galliano credit, this collection is far more uncompromising than that Hedi collection. I mean, this collection is gorey and with very little decorative quality - brusque, bizarre and brutal. Leather, crimson and comparatively coarse embroideries - reminescent of barbarian times. It does have a dramatic yet down to earth quality that I think may be giving it some selling power, possibly. It would be interesting to see some of these outfits on models who were made up to look gorgeous rather than ghoulish.

Kimkhuu said:
At least he could have made the blood splashing look a bit more real..... He should have at least tried splashing paint on a paper just to see how it looks, because it's SO blatantly fake looking... and it's all in the wrong places... I mean, pants that are bloody at the bottom.....!? Where on earth did he get such a weird idea?

And he could have slashed the clothes in a more natural way... :ninja:

I'm pretty sure he practised, he is not a complete idiot :P And to add to your comment, if only he had slashed the blood on more natural fabrics, it prob looked better. Throwing red paint on a somewhat plastic cape and on a coat resembled to dried beef jerkey by Cathy Horyn when he used them for S/S 04 RTW, does not look convincing...

i have come to my decision, i love this collection, it is not as strong as it could be (galliano is one of the finest in the world) but i love the strength and power that the women exude, couture embodied as a woman at the brink of death throwing away any inhibitions and grabbing the world by the throat and killing every naysayer in her path, the blood has become her power, i guess we are descensitized to this type of show, and blood in that case, but the strength of couture is clearly evident and the words on that track foreshadow an almost inevitibility for mankind(if you are religious), and maybe couture even, and with the grim reaper at the door we might as well have a spectacle that takes our breath, or our life...which ever you choose!

this is NOT my cup of tea. it's so overpowering in a bad way. i don't like any of the garmets, sadly... i just want to look away from them. i agree with mutterlein and tricotineacetat on this one. also, the models looked like albinos. i don't like it, i don't care if that's how it was meant to look. yuck :(

For anyone interested. The foreign language parts of the show were Marinella and George Dalaras, both Greek.

I agree. As much as I am a huge fan of Galliano's couture shows, I hated this one. It was horrific. I was looking through the entire collection at night and got a nightmare for it..

I appreciate the history of Galliano's inspiration. And a few of the designs are wearable. But it's not "Dior" at all. Christian Dior would never design something like that. I guess that's just the way it goes. I respect Karl Lagerfeld, but many of his designs are nothing that Chanel would have approved of.

Love it or not, the show has served its purpose. It is supposed to be very raw and messy. Many garments were composed of pieces of a single deconstructed fabric. They were either connected by lacing of corset or dramatic foldings and smockings. I think they are supposed to look very unfinished and brutle. Different from Mr.Dior's work in progress look, this look is more like "rip clothes off of our back". The garments looked as if they had been trampled, teared away and smeared by the revolutionaries. It is meant to capture the beastiality of human nautre. Maybe Mcqueen could do it better or maybe it could've done in a more refined manner but that's probably not what Galliano had in mind. He had exceuted his version his way and that's what makes this collection so dramatic and powerful. He has made people talk, critique and scared and I think that's the purpose as well. All of his couture shows are very conceptual and there are always different techniques being used. As Cathy Horyn once said "it's not about making trends, it's about making a statement and the statement makes trend." This collection has indeed made a statement and we'll see what trend comes off of this.

Kimkhuu said:
I mean, pants that are bloody at the bottom.....!? Where on earth did he get such a weird idea?
from mucking about in blood-covered streets? revolution = split blood. Personally, they could be cool worn by themselves. Don't quite know what to make of this collection, such an interesting theme but like many said poorly executed in terms of wearability... messy & unrefined. I suppose there are more pared down pieces that weren't shown like with his previous collection? Apart from the first dramatic ruby cloak & blood-soaked pants I don't like anything. :huh:

I loved this collection so much. Finally, Galliano has given us the spectacle as well as the clothes to munch on for anoth six months. I thought that it was wonderful. Weve been waiting for a collection like this for at least 5 years.

loved it.

I have a question, after the reading of the book or Revelations, does anyone know that really dramatic, classical music that played after that?

I would really love it if you did.

eliza s. said:
I appreciate the history of Galliano's inspiration. And a few of the designs are wearable. But it's not "Dior" at all. Christian Dior would never design something like that. I guess that's just the way it goes. I respect Karl Lagerfeld, but many of his designs are nothing that Chanel would have approved of.

of course christian dior wouldnt design something like that, but what you have to remember is that christian dior was the john galliano of his time, so i guess people then would be saying "you couldnt wear that"....:flower:

Can someone please clarify this for me...does the clothes from couture collection a one-off? I mean is it really only one in the whole world?

:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimble
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->