Collection of Style by H&M

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow:o

Fashion retailer Hennes & Mauritz AB posted a 12 percent increase in second-quarter profit Wednesday, helped by a spike in sales in May but capped by higher marketing costs.

The company also said it will enter China next year and that it will start a new store chain for women and men under a separate brand name, but did not reveal the new name.

The stores will sell a niche assortment at higher prices than H&M's regular ranges, however, Chief Executive Rolf Eriksen said.

"It will be an addition to H&M, particularly in existing, ripe markets," Eriksen told Dow Jones newswires on the sidelines of a news conference Wednesday.

Net profit for the three months ending May 31 rose to 2.65 billion kronor ($361 million), from 2.36 billion kronor in the same period last year, boosted by lower tax payments, in turn due to low tax rates in a number of H&M's markets.
The Stockholm-based company that sells fashionable clothes at low prices said sales, excluding value added tax, rose 10 percent to 17.1 billion kronor ($2.33 billion) from 15.5 billion kronor in the year-ago period.

H&M said its second-quarter sales were weak.

"Even if the trend during the quarter was rising, the total sales level was not reached as planned," the company said. "Despite this, H&M has taken market shares in basically all markets during the first half year, especially pleasing are very good sales in the Nordic countries."

H&M also said that it plans to open at least 100 stores during the remaining part of the financial year, mainly in the U.S., Spain, France, Britain, Canada and Germany. During spring 2007, the company had signed contracts for one full-range store each in Shanghai and in Hong Kong, the company's first stores in the Far East.

Eriksen said the company's profit margins in China should benefit from lower shipping costs as H&M produces most of its clothes in Asia.

Comparing China to Poland - one of H&M's most-profitable markets and one recently entered - Eriksen said China "is a very exciting market for us."

"When we entered Poland, we looked at around 9 million people with the same purchasing power as in Scandinavia, and in China there are 200, or 300, million," he said.

"In order to keep up with our sales growth target of 10-15 percent, we needed to enter a new market, and we chose China." he said.

H&M is also expanding aggressively in the U.S. and before the end of the year will have 100 stores in that market.

Including China and earlier announced plans to enter the Middle East, Greece and Slovakia, H&M expects to be present in 27 countries in 2007.

In afternoon trading, shares were up 11 kronor ($1.50), or 4.3 percent, to 270 kronor ($36.7), outperforming a modestly higher broader market.

Mattias Karlkjell, an analyst with ABG Sundal Collier, told Dow Jones that the company had performed well in the second quarter, adding he expected full-year estimates to remain unchanged or be slightly raised.

He also said the new, pricier brand will be "proof H&M has been successful in raising its image." He cited the retailer's pacts with top designers like Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney and Viktor & Rolf and its upcoming advertising campaign with Madonna.

http://www.forbes.com/work/feeds/ap/2006/06/21/ap2830209.html

Yes, wow...!

I'm really curious to see what kind of pricier line H&M manages to produce... If it'll actually be good quality and all that, and have some good designs. They certainly have talented designers working for them, and do the collaborations, so this could be something really extra!! :woot:

i think they know they have to compete better with mango and topshop.

i read today that topshop is going to open an online store just for selling to americans. and they are going to have their own plane to ship the stuff over here.

i can't wait!

I thought the whole idea behind H&M was cheap trendy-ish clothes of sometimes questionable quality - and lots of it. I don't get this higher priced line.

^ I guess the thing is that they hope to target and lure in a more up-market demographic as well... If they want to continue to grow (and they do, they're publically traded...) they need a larger customer base. And just like the designer collaborations, it could help build up their image a bit further.

They're really successful when it comes to brand building, after all...!

^^ i guess they will stick with the fashion forward market .. but will aim this at maybe the more mature customer or the customer who currently would think it would be beneath them to shop there atm. also i guess the only th ing i wouldnt buy from h & m would be work clothes, formal wear or something for a special event eg to were to a wedding or something. so i guess with this new pricier line they will try and combat this market .. maybe im totally wrong but they were my first thorts.

i think it will be great personally .. as long as they keep some of the cheap stuff :smile: .. ive noticed quite a few of the very cheap british retailers ahve played with a simular idea i guess h & m has jumped on the band wagon .. and yes before someone says i know its not english.

^^They sure are.

I'm a fan of H&M, don't get me wrong. But I'm truly confused about the pricier line - I don't expect anything of super duper fantastic quality when I visit my local H&M. Clothes from H&M are like one night stands. Fun while they last, which isn't very long. You have this in mind when you enter the store. It takes quite a bit of brand building to get that out of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I go shopping I'm looking for quality. If you're lucky you can find some good quality stuff at H&M... I hardly ever even bother going there, because I know most of it is trash. That might be what many H&M customers have learnt to expect and "appreciate", but I don't like that throwaway attitude. I refuse to buy something that will disintegrate when you wash it.

If their new line is actually good quality, I know I would be interested in buying from it and it would get me into their shops. I don't mind paying more, as long as the quality and design is good!

you know ive just had a thort i hate it when you see loads of people wearing the same things from h & m maybe less people will have these new items and they will be less widely available .. which i would like :smile:

tott said:
When I go shopping I'm looking for quality. If you're lucky you can find some good quality stuff at H&M... I hardly ever even bother going there, because I know most of it is trash. That might be what many H&M customers have learnt to expect and "appreciate", but I don't like that throwaway attitude. I refuse to buy something that will disintegrate when you wash it.

If their new line is actually good quality, I know I would be interested in buying from it and it would get me into their shops. I don't mind paying more, as long as the quality and design is good!
That is true. But there must be many, many people who buy their work-clothes at H&M as I do. I wont pay 2000 kr for a shirt that's gonna be ruined in two weeks. H&M is great for work-related clothes, festival-clothes, stuff like that. Sometimes you're gonna need a piece of clothing that you know you're only going to wear once, and that's what H&M is for.

Actually, I would love if the new line had some nice quality wool and cashmere. That's really hard to find, esp in H&M :D

is this high end store thingy gonna be only in china or all over the world??

so, will they finally stock up on quality now? and better design, hopefully, cause most stuff at h&m right now is just not good fit.....the only time i really go there is whenever i need new socks, which tells a lot, doesn't it? h&m just doesn't do it for me anymore, sorry.....

That's exciting :woot: !

Although they should just step up H&M's quality a bit. Some of the quality is decebt, while some is disposable. I would be willing to buy a lot more of their clothing if their quality were higher!

jpolla said:
wouldn't it just be similar to topman design etc?

that's what i was thinking. i love this, and even the quality is not bad....

lucy92 said:
The company also said it will enter China next year and that it will start a new store chain for women and men under a separate brand name, but did not reveal the new name.

Including China and earlier announced plans to enter the Middle East, Greece and Slovakia, H&M expects to be present in 27 countries in 2007.

Thanks lucy92 for the article.

The move into the China market sounds interesting! I wonder if they will carry the same clothes..

Hello there! Does someone know where I can get H&M tv spot? I know the brand had a winning ad at an international advertising festival ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->