College Style

This was written by a high school student blogger from Toronto, Canada.
- swashedbylife

Yes, I hate it when you wear your big, baggy sweats to class.

Sept. 26, 2008.

The title says it all.

But I’ll elaborate.

[I am not trying to be the fashion police here. I almost never go shopping for new clothes. Please read to the end of the post]

At my high school, many girls like to wear sweatpants. I’m actually okay with that. I’m okay with pretty much any fashion choice as long as it doesn’t make you look like a) a slob or b) a sl*t. That being said, I absolutely cannot stand that style of big, baggy sweatpants that many, many like to wear. I cannot.

Sure, they’re warm, they’re comfy, etc. But really, are there no other “warm and comfy” pants to wear? And even if you really love the warm, comfy feel of sweatpants, there are more form-fitting ones out there. You know, those straight cut ones. Those big, baggy ones are just unacceptable. They make your legs look like a balloon. You may have seen them - they’re generally grey and Roots is well known for making them. I wish I had a picture of someone wearing the ones I’m talking about, but I don’t.

These pants are only good, I guess, for those that have really ugly legs and want to live off this trend so they can hide them. They basically kill any shape your legs had. But to be honest, I’ve seen girls who show off their gorgeous long legs in the summer with shorts and at parties with good jeans - and wear these ugly sweats to school. Then they wear them with Uggs. So do their friends. It’s not uncommon to see five girls all wearing the same sweats and Uggs eating lunch together. But the Uggs are another story.
It’s not like these pants are cheap either. There are probably cheaper ones that have a similar style, but the ones I see everyone wearing are about fifty dollars. Fifty dollars for these ugly things. Fifty dollars you can buy jeans! Or a bag. Some tops. Or a good dinner for two. What a waste of fifty dollars!

I know that these pants are comfy and that they’re warm, and sometimes that matters more than what people like me think. But it’s also a trend. It’s a trend when all of your friends are wearing the EXACT same thing as you. And it’s not even necessary to wear something warm right now, considering these people are currently pairing it with a tank top or t-shirt, and flip flops. These people just alternate between big baggy sweats and those TNA pants. Seriously, if these people have the time and money to follow and buy the trends, they can buy a real pair of pants. Or jeans. I’m not saying it’s necessary to get all dressed up, pants/jeans and a plain t-shirt will do.

No, I don’t hate sweat pants. I have them too. I have big warm cheap sweat pants that I wear when I’m cold or I feel lazy, but only when I’m at home or getting the mail, with the rare exception to like when I’m making a midnight trip to Shoppers Drug Mart to go buy some Tylenol.

But yes, I hate it when people wear big, baggy sweats to class.

Too bad this is an all year thing, they just wear the cropped ones in the summer. (But they are the same, warm material… worn in 30 degree weather… Don’t those folks get a little hot?)

I have mixed feelings about this whole dressing down thing. I admit, I own a pair of black Juicy mens velour pants that I used to break out a lot for a 3 hour 8 a.m. Fashion history class that I was taking in the dead of winter....I mean, at that hour I just didn't care as much about what I looked like to go sit in a hard plastic chair and discuss the different variations of the chiton and how they evolved.

But let me make it clear, I didn't wear those sweat pants with the delusion that I looked good. I mean, I still looked more pulled together than most of my peers do when they actually put effort into it, but it's sweatpants we're talking about here. I think it helped that I always did my hair and looked like I made a pit stop in the shower after getting out of bed when I wore my sweats. Sadly the majority of these girls do not, it's like a required part of the style to have your highlighted hair thrown up into a messy, lopsided lump.

I think that's the difference. This look is worn with the intention of being stylish, as if throwing your giant Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses and beaten up LV speedy make it fashion. So many of the girls where I grew up and went to school look like this....it's really more of an epidemic than a trend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not gonna lie, last semester I wore fleece or Adidas sweatpants to school probably 3 out of 5 days. I didn't do it to be purposefully fashionable, though as Spike mentioned. I was just lazy. I'm not a morning person at all, and during 7:45am film classes I really don't care what I look like tbh. It takes a lot of effort for me to get up early in the mornings, so I can only imagine the effort it would take for me to put together a decent outfit, lol.

But anyway, I do see a lot of girls (and guys too) rocking sweatpants in an outfit with tanks, jewelry, flip flops, and designer shades/bags. It's almost as if they substitute jeans for sweatpants. I don't think sweats are completely unfashionable, though (I'm probably the only one, lol). I just think it looks odd the way the girls I see are styling them.

That's funny. You just don't do that in Denmark. It's not acceptable, esp not at college and university. No one is really interested in looking like ****. At least not in my town... I really think some of these sweat pants wearing folks look like criminals :lol:
They do it a lot in my neighborhood (probably the worst ghetto in Denmark), but chances are that they actually are criminals :ninja:

This was big last year on campus. The worst was when they paired them with their uggs... bleurgh :yuk:

I think sweats are alright if you are in the car getting somewhere (holidays [you sit waaay too long, so it´s good], gym ect.) but to school or shopping?! I so hate that look!!! :yuk:

Yeah, I hate this look. I can see it looks comfortable, but how do people think it looks good? It's lazy and ugly and reminds me of Britney Spears on a bad day.

Eh. I find it to vile and really shows a lack of self respect to one's appearance.. but at least they take the time to change out of their pajamas. Something I've seen too many times.

I'm sorry this thread got merged into College Style. This style isn't just for college girls. I see it all the time on moms as well.

I'm disappointed.

It's too bad people mix up classic 'college' style with the sweatpants and Uggs of today.. the 1970's were quite great for school style. I have a style guide from 1975 and it is more or less my Bible.

I love the classic college style, when 'prep' was not a fad.

3095953151_277705a31b_o.jpg

From OrientalAsylum's Flickr

All over the United States and college campuses, girls are dressing down to dress up.
A friend of mine (and I) have a term for these girls, who dress casually from Hollister but abide by the rules of 'cute'. "Steve's d*ck girls...", yes, that probably means what you think it means. :doh: :lol: The backstory, though, is that while they aren't on campus, there's always a huddle of them hanging with their boyfriends (all probably named Steve) and giggling uncontrollably in the back of some movie theater, yelling "Steeeve, get your d*ck out of the popcorn!" or something equally stupid.

Yeah... :ninja:

Totally not acceptable from where I came from too. But then, to each his/her own. It's personal style, after all.

I think most people are in school to learn and not to impress anyone with their fashion sense. I can understand being offended by someone's style in the workplace where you are being paid to project an image-- but at school?

yes I will be a college student for the 2009-2010
year for the 1st time, an I understand most students
dress for comfort..but I still feel the need that I would want
to dress how i do now..sweaters, cardigans, skinnies, my bow ties etc..
im not goin to dress down just because every1 else does..i wear the same style
no matter where i go even its walking to the store

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->