Costume Institute Gala 2009 : The Model as Muse

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
wwd / october 29. 2009

NEW YORK — In their Nineties heydays, Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington and Naomi Campbell didn’t just pose in designer clothes — they often inspired the creators behind them.

But the notion of models serving as designer muses predates that trio, and will be the subject of the spring exhibit at The Costume Institute of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Themed “The Model as Muse: Embodying Fashion,” the show aims to explore fashion, and the changing ideals of beauty that accompanied different eras, from Marion Morehouse to Lisa Fonssagrives, Peggy Moffitt, Iman, Nadja Auermann and Gisele Bündchen.

In the process, the exhibit is expected to showcase how these models have served as designer muses by inspiring, defining and embodying trends of the 20th century, and contributing to how fashion eras are remembered.

“In every period, high fashion is presented and made desirable by a handful of models who capture in their beauty the ideals of the day,” said Harold Koda, curator in charge of The Costume Institute, who is working with guest co-curator Kohle Yohannan on the project.

The exhibit will kick off on May 4 with The Costume Institute’s annual gala benefit. Marc Jacobs will serve as the night’s honorary chair, alongside co-chairs Kate Moss, Justin Timberlake and Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour.

“The idea of muses or models, whether it is someone you know or someone you have seen in an image, someone of your imagination or a creature of your own invention, is important to every designer and every collection,” said Jacobs. “I hate talking about inspiration, but everyone needs a catalyst. We look at this person, this model, this muse, and we design for her. It seems like a kind of fundamental thing, but wide open for lots of great clothes.”

“The Model as Muse” will feature some 70 haute couture and ready-to-wear looks alongside photography, runway images and video footage of models, rock stars, socialites and actresses who set the tone for each era.

“There are certain images in every era which tend to fix an aesthetic ideal in the popular imagination,” Koda said. “In its own time, it has the possibility of motivating a trend, but after that, it becomes our idea of that period, like Dovima and the elephant, or the famous [Richard] Avedon photograph of Suzy Parker in Chanel.”

The exhibit, open to the public from May 6 to Aug. 9, will be held at the museum’s Tisch Galleries. Its scope will range from models during the times of Worth and Poiret through Fifties mannequins such as Sunny Harnett and Dorian Leigh; Sixties icons Jean Shrimpton, Moffitt and Veruschka; Seventies faces like Iman and Janice Dickinson; the Eighties supermodels, and Nineties “It” girls such as Amber Valletta and Shalom Harlow.

The curators plan to include garments from designers such as Azzedine Alaïa, Balenciaga, Chanel, Giorgio Armani, Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan, Helmut Lang, Lanvin, Claude Montana, Ralph Lauren, Prada, Jil Sander, Christian Dior, Versace and Viktor & Rolf. The Costume Institute also will display iconic images from photographers such as Avedon, David Bailey, Horst, Steven Meisel, Helmut Newton and Bert Stern.

Jacobs will underwrite the exhibit, with additional support from Condé Nast. Asked if there was one model who represented the muse theme most efficiently, Jacobs mentioned supermodels such as Turlington and Campbell, who have been longtime friends and helped him when he was starting out on his own more than two decades ago. But even he admitted the best example is probably his co-host at the gala. “The images of Kate Moss by Corinne Day and Juergen Teller really changed fashion,” Jacobs said. “That was a moment when we looked at beauty and glamour in a different way, and I think Kate still embodies the style and change of ideals and the way we now look at beauty and glamour and perfection and imperfection.”

Hollywood production designer and art director John Myhre will serve as the exhibit’s creative consultant, and, with Raul Avila, will work on the design for the gala benefit. With its theme, the benefit is bound to attract a bevy of supermodels, both past and present. “It will be a hot gala,” Koda said, laughing.
33pdonk.jpg

290r4m9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely indulgent excuse to pander to models, rock stars and socialites.

^Yes... well it does that every year... so what's your point?

Thanks for posting kimair :heart:

Thanks for posting! :smile:

wait .. hasn't the Muse idea been done before? :unsure:

^Yes... well it does that every year... so what's your point?

Thanks for posting kimair :heart:

The point is that it is completely unoriginal. This year was superheroes. The next theme? "Ourselves!". Let me guess--everyone will come dressed as either a model, a socialite or a rock star. Brilliant.

Well i for one,can't wait to see it!

How are you suppose to dress up?

We'll sure see tons of models at the event.

The Trinity will be there.

^ I know eh? .. parody that famous Versace moment maybe? :huh:

The point is that it is completely unoriginal. This year was superheroes. The next theme? "Ourselves!". Let me guess--everyone will come dressed as either a model, a socialite or a rock star. Brilliant.
How is that unoriginal? It is something the MET has never celebrated before,and there is alot of people who will be interested in this theme and therefore exhibition, which is the point of it all.

There is no need to take everything so seriously, its just celebrating fashion every year and having fun, and the theme of the event hardly inforce's dress code for the guest's, i didnt see many Superhero costumes this year, so no i dont think people will come dressed as models, socialites.etc.:rolleyes:

IMO this is a fantastic subject, and i cant wait to see the exhibition, hopefully this means Vogue will have a great model (or models :P) on its May cover.

kimair, thanks a million for posting this article.:flower:

Wow this sounds a lot more liberal in terms of a theme.

This years Superhero's theme was hard for people to get into.

But the 'model as a muse' will be really easy and fun for people.

I expect we'll see a lot of Naomi's, Kate Moss's (and Peter Doherty's), Gisele, Agyness Deyn, Gemma Ward etc etc

OMG!

I love her ... but enough of Aggyness!

:s

PS Yay Peggy and Lisa et al!

It's not like I am going or ever will in my life but i'm SO excited! :buzz:

All fine and dandy, sweet like candy, but, um, Justin Timberlake? Don't really see the connection between him & model-muses.. :unsure:

Well the "superheroes" ideas was hardly original. They only came up with it after about 7 years of comic franchises dominating American Box Office. In any case the Costume Institue Gala event was *created*, essentially, for models, socialites and rock stars. People tend to forget that ^_^. It only received any sort of public attention, so that we now know about it, because stars showed up and made it a fashion parade.

If US Vogue does a model cover because of it that will take care of my complaints. (Not that I had any.)

Eugenius, Timberlake inspired William Rast! So uh...yeah.

I really don't know what to think of this theme - I have always thought models are quite overrated. I certainly don't see how an exhibition should be dedicated to their so-called influence. I wish MET would pick good themes again, like Anglomania or Rococo were. That was actually an exhibition I was interest about - superheroes, supermodels... blah. That's more about pop culture than fashion. Or fashion as an industry... but not fashion as art or design.

Azzedine Alaïa, Balenciaga, Chanel, Giorgio Armani, Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan, Helmut Lang, Lanvin, Claude Montana, Ralph Lauren, Prada, Jil Sander, Christian Dior, Versace and Viktor & Rolf.

What do they mean when they say they include garments from Balenciaga, Chanel, Dior, Lanvin? Do they mean those iconic pieces by Cristobal, Coco, Christian, Jeanne - or Nicolas, Karl, John and Alber? I really don't think 80s-90s-00s are good subjects for an exhibition.

I guess MET is running out of ideas. And what on earth is Justin Timberlake doing there?! Talk about pop culture!

I must be slow today but I really don't understand. So they'll be clothes on display that were inspired/worn by models? The superheroes was great because of the archived Mugler and Gaultier. Plus there were families with kids going to the exhibit which I didn't see at Anglomania. But this seems so uninspired.

I really don't know what to think of this theme - I have always thought models are quite overrated. I certainly don't see how an exhibition should be dedicated to their so-called influence. I wish MET would pick good themes again, like Anglomania or Rococo were. That was actually an exhibition I was interest about - superheroes, supermodels... blah. That's more about pop culture than fashion. Or fashion as an industry... but not fashion as art or design.

What do they mean when they say they include garments from Balenciaga, Chanel, Dior, Lanvin? Do they mean those iconic pieces by Cristobal, Coco, Christian, Jeanne - or Nicolas, Karl, John and Alber? I really don't think 80s-90s-00s are good subjects for an exhibition.

how is pop culture not relevant to fashion?

And why doesn't historical fashion make for good exhibits?

Hate to rain on the parade, but this theme blows, if I may be so frank.

The word muse is far too overused in fashion to have any meaning anymore, and this theme is just further proof that fashion is so afraid to let go of the whole supermodel nostalgia thing....and even those pillars of fabulousity can't be called muses imo. It's not as if Versace's safety pin dresses were inspired by la Linda and co., they just looked good in them.

Bottom line, it doesn't sound at all interesting. I may be wrong and wind up being blown away when it opens in the spring, but I'm hardly counting down the days until it does like I have for past exhibits.

Given the timing Koda and his team should've done something with depression era fashion, fashion as an escape. At least that's a bit thoughtful.

I don't know, I actually find this a rather superb theme and almost glorifying for women.. I'm glad that the description is clear: The model as muse.. they're not taking any chances with 'Supermodel' parameters or just using the word model alone so you can exhibit yourself through that hanger.. the word muse gives reality to a term that might be too fictional at this point but at least it makes you go to a basic kind of ideology in which a woman was proudly recognised as the center of a designers' creation and its display and not something that might as well be or not be there cause the clothes would still be pretty damn outstanding in their view [or ego].

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darvesh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->