Costume Institute Gala 2009 : The Model as Muse

Suzy's review from nytimes.com

An Ode to the Shooting Stars of Beauty

By SUZY MENKES
Published: May 4, 2009

Maxime de la Falaise — one of the great icons of 20th-century fashion, a muse to Elsa Schiaparelli and a friend of Yves Saint Laurent — died last week. And her departure could not have come at a more poignant moment: the opening of an exhibition in New York about the fashion model as muse.

This case study, which is set to open Wednesday at the Metropolitan Museum, could be seen not just as a celebration for the magazine icons — but also as a requiem, now that celebrity images have all but effaced the models. There will surely be a new generation of women who capture a cultural moment, just as the greyhound sophisticates of the golden era of haute couture were eclipsed by the child-woman fauns, personified by Twiggy, and ultimately by the Amazonian supermodels.
But looking at the elegant images on glossy covers that frame striking installations — from 1950s glamour to 1990s grunge — it is hard to believe that the Internet age will produce quite the same shooting stars of beauty.

Two gargantuan cut-out elephants and a model, arms outstretched in her slender column of a dress — open “The Model as Muse: Embodying Fashion.” This is a Hollywood interpretation of the famous 1955 Richard Avedon photograph of “Dovina with Elephants” for Harper’s Bazaar.
At the end of the first gallery is the original black and white Avedon photograph — prescient in that it introduced both new postwar fashion photography and a Dior gown designed by the fledgling Yves Saint Laurent. Other models of that period, photographed by Avedon, Horst P. Horst and Irving Penn, include Suzy Parker and the platinum-blonde Sunny Harnett, looking more movie star than model as she shows off a draped dress among gaming tables.

Her voluptuous figure is replicated by a mannequin — an example of how the exhibition is brought vibrantly to life by John Myhre, the Oscar-winning production designer of movies such as “Dreamgirls” and “Memoirs of a Geisha.” He says that his idea was to bring in “a little cinematic magic and wonder.”

Other movie-set effects include a mannequin of the model/muse Peggy Moffitt, posing topless in a 1964 Rudi Gernreich swimsuit; a sculpture of Brooke Shields in the original Calvin Klein jeans that she supposedly wore over bare flesh; or models chilling out at Studio 54, the YSL clan in their Russian peasant dresses.

The exhibition was curated by Harold Koda of the Costume Institute and Kohle Yohannan, a cultural historian and inspiration behind the joint book on the history of models, with an image of Linda Evangelista, applying lipstick in front of a mirror, as the cover.

“I did the clothes,” said Mr. Koda, referring to the 70 outfits on display, especially haute couture gowns that are used to replicate group shots. These vignettes punctuate fashion history, starting with the famous 1948 group photograph by Cecil Beaton of models in Charles James ball gowns. Another way of adding visual energy to static displays is when Dior and Balenciaga outfits are shown against a backdrop of Audrey Hepburn in the movie “Funny Face.”

What does not quite come across is how much these early models, although famous enough when they married an aristocrat and moved into high society, were still subsumed by the clothes. The magazines were showing what they wore, not emphasizing who they were.
The 1950s models, even when only 18, were also presented very much as women, not girls. But then came a sudden and dramatic change, what Mr. Yohannan calls the “youthquake” and “goodbye to the reign of sophistication.” As Parisian couture and the strains of “C’est Si Bon” fade away, giant aluminium dresses made for the satirical 1966 movie “Qui êtes-vous, Polly Maggoo?” dominate the large gallery.

Twiggy and Veruschka, as well as the first famous African/American model Donyale Luna, introduce an androgynous or adolescent concept to modeling. Graphic mini-dresses from Pierre Cardin and Paco Rabanne and the early, iconoclastic Saint Laurent expose thighs and long legs in images that vibrate with the 1960s sexual revolution.
“Her sexuality and beauty leaps off the page,” says Yohannan, referring to the way the British model Jean Shrimpton moves from showing womanly grace to sexually charged legs.

The exhibition remains a glossy fairyland, with no hint of the sad end of models who lived fast and died young. Instead, we see only in their prime Penelope Tree, two-dimensional as an Andy Warhol “Factory” product, or the smoldering Janet Dickinson. Helmut Newton’s glamorous decadence captures a more edgy vision from the 1970s.

The exhibition reaches its apogee with the supermodels of the 1980s and especially its “trinity” of Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista and Christy Turlington. Once again, it is as a collective group that they make an impact, with Peter Lindbergh’s Versace image of bikers — long legs under short skirts — as the essence of female empowerment.

Significantly, those “supers” who hit the newsstand in the 1980s, have shown survival almost as impressive as Lisa Fonssagrives, wife of Irving Penn, whose career spanned two decades from the mid-1930s to 1950s.

The 1990s brought grunge-graffiti on the walls, messy clothes and “Nirvana” on the soundtrack. That period was marked by “alternative” models like the angular Kristen McMenamy or “the waif,” identified as Kate Moss and described by Yohannan as “the face of Generation X.” But the exhibition does not bring out the beauty of the British model’s feline face or the lasting celebrity of a woman who is the chair of the Costume Institute benefit that took place on Monday, along with Justin Timberlake, the Vogue editor Anna Wintour and the exhibition’s sponsor, Marc Jacobs.

Koda recalls Karl Lagerfeld’s comment that what makes a model is “imperfection.” The curators might have introduced the concept of models of character, showing Claudia Schiffer’s cheeky smile or the temperamental Naomi Campbell glamour. But, like models themselves in the late 1990s, the exhibition fades away, showing a line-up of clothes from the Helmut Lang minimalist era on faceless mannequins and the corporate advertising campaigns.

What would have transformed this show from being not just entertaining and interesting, but profound? By turning attention almost entirely on the models, it denies the reality of a model’s image as a collaborative construction, with editor, photographer and designer working together to mold a new “face.” But showing how the cocktail of beauty is concocted might have shed too much light on the ephemeral magic of the model and muse.
I'll be visiting the exhibit as I always do, but honestly it sounds like it's going to be a letdown. I'm really not expecting too much. Basically it just sounds like a walk through post-war fashion history as far as the actual "costume" element is concerned. I could see doing this exhibit in the winter, when the Met sometimes does smaller Costume Institute exhibits, but as the "main event" I still don't see the point.

^^I agree with both Suzy and you, Spike.

The idea of celebrating iconic models is certainly intriguing, but...it's hard to put together a collection of individual outfits because very few, if any, pieces are directly and solely inspired by a specific model. It's more like years-long collaborations...Alaia for example...he didn't just make a Naomi dress, a Linda dress or a Stephanie dress. He worked with them for years and years and they embodied his whole aesthetic...consequentially, Alaia wasn't even featured in the exhibit.:innocent:

From what Suzy has described, it seems like random clothes are put on mannequins and set in a tableau to recreate an iconic photograph of iconic models.

^That's really the problem I see with the theme. It's great that they want to celebrate models, but it's near impossible to do that well without having actual models present. Using mannequins kind of shows that that clothes can stand on their own, and that models are completely replaceable.

Unless, of course, the organizers realized this and wanted to show boring clothes that only come to life when a supermodel steps into them? But I'm going to doubt that.

From Cathy Horyn...with similar sentiments.
“The Model as Muse” exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which opens on Wednesday, feels a little like a funhouse caught between the mummies and the Renoirs. You’re tempted to snap into one of those incredible bump-and-grind poses suggested by tiny amounts of Spandex and squeal, “Hey, girlfriend!”
Sometime in the 1980s fashion models left the glossy kingdom of Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar and moved in with us. We haven’t been able to get rid of them since. They went from being remote goddesses in Paris couture — and, just as condescending, starved British chicks with super boyfriends — to being plain old Gisele, Naomi and Tyra.
We’re not sure why they fascinate us, though with their height, long legs and skin like polished marble, they fail to suppress the idea that pretty girls always get what they want. Sharon Stone, at the peak of her fame, said she felt like a stump next to these women.
Like it or not, these creatures embody ideals of beauty and fashion, often representing generational shifts in taste and popular culture. The curators of “The Model as Muse,” Harold Koda and Kohle Yohannan, focus on the second half of the 20th century, starting with Dior’s New Look in 1947. Fashion models certainly existed before then — Mr. Yohannan notes in the exhibition’s catalog that in 1924 Vogue conducted a model search and got more than 500 applicants — but, despite the creamy images of photographers like Edward Steichen and Horst, it was hard to compete with the glamour of movie stars and debutantes.
What changed, in a word, was fashion. Postwar fashion, which essentially meant French fashion, assumed an ultra-sophisticated, imperious look that demanded an expressive type of model, one who didn’t shrink from the boned corsets and satin folds but instead felt a heightened sense of femininity — arching her narrow back, extending her long, alabaster neck. The 1950s seemed to invite men to make love to the clavicle.
It’s hardly a surprise that the ’50s and ’60s provide the curators with their best material. More than the merger of great photographers like Irving Penn, Lillian Bassman and Richard Avedon, or beauties like the Texas-born sisters Suzy Parker and Dorian Leigh, or energetic art directors like Alexey Brodovitch at Bazaar, these years were when a relationship developed between model and photographer.
This was especially evident in the pictures that Penn made with his wife, Lisa Fonssagrives, whose lithe body lent a kind of nonchalant grace to the most imposing Balenciaga garment. But a similar understanding is also clear in Penn’s images of other models, notably Jean Patchett and Leigh. As Penn said of Leigh: “She seems to sense the coming click of the camera; her expression builds until she and the camera come alive together.”
Although models in the ’60s seem no less integral to the fashion-making process — Marisa Berenson recalled recently that she always had to do her own makeup for shoots and that it was her idea to give herself exploding lashes — the young women were becoming personalities in their own right. To deal with the crowds following Twiggy during her first shoot in New York, in 1967, the photographer Melvin Sokolsky had hand masks made of her image for the fans to hold up on cue. It was a way both to acknowledge Twiggy’s celebrity and avoid seeing other faces.
Of all the exhibition rooms at the Met, which are organized around decades and include copies of fashion magazines and re-creations of famous shoots with original garments (like the Dior dress in Avedon’s “Dovima With Elephants”), the ’60s room is the most effective. Blown up on one wall is “Qui Êtes-Vous, Polly Maggoo?,” William Klein’s 1966 satiric film of the fashion world, and in the center are Bernard and François Baschet’s aluminum dresses from the movie, their cold surfaces reflecting the quest for modernity.
In many ways, though, the exhibition feels in search of a legitimate center, a justification — beyond icon-mongering — to spend so much time looking at pretty faces. By its very title, “The Model as Muse” presents an idealized relationship between photographer and model, or designer and model, and while much of the work in fashion is collaborative, the fact is that many designers and photographers are major control freaks. And some just outright dismiss the role of models.
As it is, the exhibition ignores one of the most significant model-designer relationships of the last 30 years: that between the Paris designer Azzedine Alaïa and his long-serving muses, among them Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista. It’s hard to imagine their careers — and bodies — without Mr. Alaïa’s singular fashion. The omission of Bruce Weber, who expertly plugs models and designers alike into his cinematic vision, also seems glaring.
Ultimately, in this attractive-looking exhibition, you don’t learn enough about the modeling experience as it played out in the late 20th century really to care. Linda and Naomi came along. Steven Meisel photographed them. They wore grunge and had a real good time. Then came Kate Moss, and, well, she was different. By the time you reach the last rooms of “The Model as Muse,” in the ’80s and ’90s, you might as well be flipping through the pages of a fashion magazine, so random and arbitrary are the conclusions.
Personality takes over the exhibition, the cult of personality that Gisele and Kate necessarily fuel. This may be a cultural reality, but it seems to me the curators could have avoided the obvious. What goes unaddressed is the change from film to digital photography, and how that affected sittings and the dynamics of the photographer-model relationship. It’s the sort of elemental question the curators should have asked. Instead they seem guilty of the grossest fashion sin: wanting to hang out with the models.
(nytimes.com)

it sounds like the whole exhibit idea is very confused.

they would have been far better off starting at the very beginning : who was the first covergirl of vogue etc, what was the industry like back then, how has it changed over time, life size wax figures of icons of beauty past and present, showing change of body ideals, showing iconic model moments, discuss how the supermodels created headlines and sold clothes, how models changed with the fashion, maybe even some projections of what the future models and the whole industry might be like.

Today was a day full of fashion for me. First I re-watched Lagerfeld Confidential: one of my all time favorite movies/documentaries. I love Karl, and I am not even going to attempt to describe the film: it is too good for words - everyone should see it with an objective mind and not get affected by others' insights.

Then I went to see Valentino: The Last Emperor. Another fantastic piece of film which tells so much about the fashion/luxury design world we live in. And what characters! Definitely will buy its DVD and place it right next to Lagerfeld Confidential. The part where Valentino is pulling Karl's arm to take him to a special room in his exhibit just like two 6 year old kids... fantastic!!!!!

After that, I went to MET to see the wonderful exhibit... I must admit, I wasn't there to learn about models - we all know who they are and what they are. You do not need an exhibit to show who Twiggy, Janice, or Daria is to me. I was simply there to see the breathtaking Galliano couture creations for Dior... and they did not disappoint.

I thought I was going to faint. The pieces literally took my breath away. There were 8 pieces total: 4 from FW 2005 HC and another 4 from FW 2007 HC... It was such an out-of-body experience to see the exact gowns I adored so much and drooled over in person, right before me!!!!! I think every Galliano creation is a masterpiece: it was almost like running into Angelina or something to me. I could hardly stop myself touching one of the gowns... just feeling the legend!!! I get that excited only when I see like a Monet, or Van Gogh, which I did after seeing the exhibit and buying its book, and also one on Chanel.

4 were those 'incomplete' gowns from 2005 HC: one blue named 'Lucky', the other were pink, lilac and jade... you know the ones I am talking about. And the other 4 were the Stella Tennant, Amber Valletta, Linda and Naomi's gows from 2007 HC. I was blown away by how gorgeous they looked in person. It was sickening really. There were other creations as well, of course: a lot of authentic YSL, Halston, Rabanne etc., but nothing matched the excitement I felt seeing Galliano's hand.

YSL's Safari and Mondrian dresses are also on display, which is exciting.

I am so lucky to be living in Manhattan and seeing these gorgeous things. Sometimes I take things for granted. Today I am reminded why I love this city so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->