Costume Institute Gala 2009 : The Model as Muse

^
I don't really find it "empowering" in any sense of the word. The point of being a model and the ones who were muses, were people who looked/acted/were completely different than other women. They are not women to be identified with. And granted, every woman is unique and that should be celebrated, but I don't think I've ever looked at a model and thought 'gee, you make me feel so good about myself!" :lol:And Spike is right, I think a lot of people confuse looking good in a dress, or embodying an image that an item of clothing suggests, with being the person who 'inspired' such clothing. I am not saying muses do not exist, certainly for people like Yves there were interesting women who inspired him, but I do not this is as extensive as people make it out to be.

I also agree with Spike that the idea of depression era would have been appropriate (and beautiful). I just find the whole thing so damn referential, but what else to expect? I'm not into models at all, so perhaps this is why, but it's not that interesting for me. There are certain people who I find inspiring, or who led very interesting lives, and I can certainly understand them inspiring work. And I do think the idea of a whole could be interesting, as in "women who embodied a certain beauty of the time" but I think it's really just an exhibit about models, modelling and pretty women under the cloak of something grander than it is.

how is pop culture not relevant to fashion?

And why doesn't historical fashion make for good exhibits?

I guess in a way it can be seen to be relevant - but then, many things can, and that doesn't mean you should build an exhibition around it.

Did I say somewhere historical fashion doesn't make good exhibits? I hope I haven't said that, because I think the complete opposite!

But perhaps historical fashion just doesn't sell tickets. MET needs to come up with something that's linked with celebs so the average American and the average tourist would go and see their Costume Institute's exhibition. Just like V&A had the one about Supremes this summer...

The Model as Muse Spring 2009

Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute Announces The Model as Muse for Spring 2009 ART DAILY.org

Metropolitan-2.jpg

Lud in Madame Grès, 1938. Photograph by Horst © The Condé Nast Publications Inc.

NEW YORK, NY.- The spring 2009 exhibition organized by The Costume Institute of The Metropolitan Museum of Art will be The Model as Muse: Embodying Fashion, it was announced by the Museum today. The exhibition, which will be on view at the Metropolitan from May 6 through August 9, 2009, will explore the reciprocal relationship between high fashion and evolving ideals of beauty, and will focus on iconic fashion models of the 20th century and their roles in projecting, and sometimes inspiring, the fashion of their respective eras.

“The exhibition will examine a timeline of fashion over the past 100 years through the paradigm of the fashion model,” said Harold Koda, Curator in Charge of The Costume Institute. “We look at the power of clothing, fashion photography, and the model to project the look of an era. With a mere gesture, or the line of her body, a truly stellar model can sum up the attitude of her time, creating an alluring synergy between herself and the clothing to communicate a designer’s message to the wider world.”

To celebrate the opening of the exhibition, the Museum's Costume Institute Gala Benefit will take place on Monday, May 4, 2009. Marc Jacobs will serve as Honorary Chair of the Gala. Co-Chairs are Kate Moss; Justin Timberlake; and Anna Wintour, Editor-in-Chief of Vogue.

The exhibition will feature approximately 70 masterworks of haute couture and ready-to-wear. Fashion editorial, advertising, and runway photography plus video footage of models, actresses, socialites, and rock stars who epitomize their epochs will be used throughout the galleries to explicate the fashion zeitgeist.

The exhibition, in the Museum’s second-floor Tisch Galleries, will begin with a prelude to the model era in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when society ladies and showgirls were chosen and were paid a pittance to appear in creations by Worth and Poiret in ateliers, out to theater, and on occasion in fashionable magazines. The emergence of the modern woman in prewar society and the photography of Edward Steichen set the stage for Marion Morehouse—one of the first models known to the larger public by name. Later, in the wake of the postwar resurgence of the American fashion and advertising industries, Dior’s New Look and a proliferation of model agencies created an atmosphere from which highfashion models with celebrated personalities and distinctive identities emerged. Lisa Fonssagrives, Dovima, Suzy Parker, Sunny Harnett, and Dorian Leigh personified the ’40s and ’50s, an era that has since come to be regarded as The Golden Age of Haute Couture. Capturing their rarified gestures and haughty aristocratic grandeur, photographers such as Irving Penn, Horst, Richard Avedon, and Norman Parkinson portrayed these beauties in fashions by Balenciaga, Jacques Fath, and Christian Dior for advertisements and editorial shoots—many of which are now considered among the most important photographic images of the 20th century.

With the “Youthquake” of the 1960s, models chosen by Pierre Cardin, Courrèges, and Rudi Gernreich heralded the transformation from a womanly to girlish ideal, moving from Jean Shrimpton to Peggy Moffitt, Veruschka, and Twiggy. In the ’70s, Halston and Yves Saint Laurent surrounded themselves with coteries of models who defined their brands. The “Halstonettes” promoted the American sportswear and active leisure aesthetic to a global audience, while Saint Laurent’s cabine of models and muses expressed his nationalistic projection of French fashion. At the same time, avant-garde ready-to-wear designers Claude Montana, Thierry Mugler, and Gianni Versace began to usurp the authority of the haute couture.

In the late ’80s, supermodels expressed an idealized glamour and a reign of supremacy, breaking down the old boundaries between runway, editorial, and advertising work to do all three for designers seeking to bolster their houses’ identities. Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, and Christy Turlington emerged as the “Trinity” and expressed the diverging moods of the era, appearing in global campaigns for the houses of Chanel, Versace, and Ralph Lauren, among many others. In the 1990s, grunge and street style led to a radical shift from a decisively glamorous beauty to the rebel chic of Kate Moss, much as Twiggy supplanted Jean Shrimpton in the ’60s.

The minimalism of the ’90s, as expressed by Giorgio Armani, Jil Sander, and Calvin Klein, and the eccentricity of young Belgian, Japanese, and British designers, still relied on supermodels, with newcomers like Amber Valletta, Nadja Auermann, and Shalom Harlow rising to “It Girl” status. By the close of the century, übermodel Gisele Bündchen elevated and branded the supermodel aesthetic, enhancing it with the added sheen of global superstar status—working all areas from print to runway to movie screen with unprecedented ubiquity.

Designers in the exhibition will include Azzedine Alaïa, Giorgio Armani, Balenciaga, Pierre Balmain, Geoffrey Beene, Pierre Cardin, Hussein Chalayan, Chanel, Courrèges, Jean Dessès, Christian Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, Jacques Fath, John Galliano, Jean Paul Gaultier, Rudi Gernreich, Givenchy, Gucci, Halston, Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan, Rei Kawakubo, Calvin Klein, Christian Lacroix, Helmut Lang, Lanvin, Ralph Lauren, Martin Margiela, Alexander McQueen, Issey Miyake, Claude Montana, Moschino, Thierry Mugler, Prada, Paco Rabanne, Nina Ricci, Rochas, Rodarte, Ralph Rucci, Yves Saint Laurent, Jil Sander, Giorgio Sant’Angelo, Versace, Viktor & Rolf, Vivienne Westwood, and Yohji Yamamoto.

Iconic models featured will include Nadja Auermann, Gisele Bündchen, Naomi Campbell, Janice Dickinson, Dovima, Linda Evangelista, Lisa Fonssagrives, Jerry Hall, Shalom Harlow, Sunny Harnett, Lauren Hutton, Iman, Dorian Leigh, Peggy Moffitt, Marion Morehouse, Kate Moss, Suzy Parker, Jean Shrimpton, Christy Turlington, Twiggy, Amber Valletta, and Veruschka, among others.

Photographers whose images captured the mood of fashion via their subjects, and whose work will be in the exhibition, include Richard Avedon, David Bailey, Louise Dahl-Wolfe, Patrick Demarchelier, Horst, George Hoyningen-Huene, William Klein, Peter Lindbergh, Steven Meisel, Helmut Newton, Norman Parkinson, Irving Penn, Paolo Roversi, Edward Steichen, Bert Stern, Mario Testino, and Bruce Weber.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Well, that sounds much better! If they really want to explore and show the history of women who's "job" was to wear designers' creations, then it might even be good. But if it is just one "80's supermodel" exhibition, it is still unnecessary... I guess we will have to wait and see what happens and what it is like.

Thanks for the article model_mom!

Whitelinen .... i don't see what's your point through your both posts .... ??
i do agree with mutterlein about her first question to you ....
but i must agree that i don't understand as well why they are showing clothes ... mainly because i don't see how this is really revelant to the theme ....
Alaïa is good, because of Naomi ... but imo their list is just filled with big names to attract people .... basically this is just another C.N commercial exhibition (which is good in a way for fashion history)

i just hate thematic exhibition ...

I really don't think 80s-90s-00s are good subjects for an exhibition.
heu ... could you explain WHY ?

“We look at the power of clothing, fashion photography, and the model to project the look of an era. With a mere gesture, or the line of her body, a truly stellar model can sum up the attitude of her time, creating an alluring synergy between herself and the clothing to communicate a designer’s message to the wider world.”
ok so the title is just another commercial gimmick to attract people .... as it's def. NOT about Model as a MUSE .... but Model as an ICON ... (imo)

but i do hope there will be more than just outfits and photographs ... i'm hoping for videos (more than footage), letters, documents ... a sort of old good historic exhibition .... why not with some sort of period rooms .... i find them funny ....

^oops cannot edit my thing ....
wanted to add that le Musée des Arts Décoratifs (Paris) will dedicate an exhibition to .... Kate Moss in 2009-2010 ....
I guess it's gonna be something like what Foam produced last year .....
just for a reminder ....
An exhibition focusing on style icon, super-model and muse Kate Moss and revealing how the personality of a public figure is shaped by the media and becomes our collective public property. Although the image of Kate Moss has been a constant feature in the media over the past fifteen years, this show is far from being an ode to the model. It concentrates on the relationship between public and private life, the power and influence of the media and the common desire to shape public figures to reflect our own perspectives.
foam.nl

though this is not subject .... just for a perspective or something ...

“We look at the power of clothing, fashion photography, and the model to project the look of an era"

I actually like the theme, it's about time; I wanna see models getting more attention. I hope there would be space for the new supermodels.

I already can see Coco in JPG couture:rolleyes:

^ But honestly, why should models get any attention in a very well known museum's costume department?

That's the big problem that I have with this exhibition. It sounds like the clothing is going to regarded as being equal to, or worse, taking a backseat to the walking clothes hangers who wear them, and that actually insults me just a bit given that the Costume Institute should be about the clothes first and foremost. Even last year with the superheroes exhibit, which I enjoyed and thought was a pretty great theme regardless of how low brow or pop-y it was, the clothing was the focus.

I think it's absolutely f****** stupid that Justin Timblake has anything to do with it, he's a complete and utter twerp what the HELL were they thinking? Anna Wintour & Kate Moss are perfect, centre figures in fashion and then they've got that whiny moron?
I don't understand at all.

This link was posted in the Adriana Lima thread and I figured other people might want to read. From Modelina:

Model Muses at the Met and Their Designer Pairings!

With less than two weeks to go, the Met’s Costume Institute Gala is all anyone can talk about at this point. Modelinia has already confirmed that Joy Bryant is wearing Rachel Roy and that Kate Moss has been sketching turbans with Stephen Jones, but there are a few more rumors to discuss.
Apparently, Marc Jacobs will dress his cohost Kate (no surprise there), as well as Helena Christensen. A few pairings make sense simply due to campaigns and contracts. Gisele Bündchen is being dressed by John Galliano, since she modeled for the Dior Spring ’09 campaign, while Arlenis Sosa and Daria Werbowy will sit with Lancôme. Adriana Lima was asked to attend with Givenchy, which only fuels the whispers of her possibly campaigning with the brand after she walked the Fall ’09 runway.
Though it was allegedly reported that Lauren Hutton would be unable to attend due to a surfing accident, she’s set to accompany Michael Kors. Carol Alt is going with new radio voices Dean Caten and Dan Caten. Fresh from their wedding celebration, Andy Roddick will share his wife, Brooklyn Decker, with Derek Lam, who is also dressing Liya Kebede. (What, no J.Crew?) Heidi Klum, in all her baby glory, will be dressed by Gilles Mendel, Anne Vyalitsyna is attending with Peter Som, Lily Donaldson’s date is Narciso Rodriguez, and the Rodarte sisters are dressing Jessica Stam, who just turned 23. Joining Joy Bryant and Rachel Roy will be Lakshmi Menon, and Coco Rochadespite her love for Zac Posen—will walk with Isaac Mizrahi.
But it doesn’t stop here, as there are still a multitude of models and designers to pair up before the

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the article from FWD that was referenced in the post above with more info:
MET SCOOP! Top-Secret Costume Institute Gala Attendees, Revealed...

Who's taking Gisele? Which A-lister will Jason Wu squire? Keep reading...
Friday, April 24, 2009
(NEW YORK) The 2009 Costume Institute Gala, themed "Model as Muse," is shrouded in more mystery than ever, with the organizers enforcing confidentiality agreements upon the designers and the beauties they will dress. But leaks are bound to happen, and The Daily caught some drips.

Even though tables sales are significantly down this year, sponsor Marc Jacobs will command a sizable chunk, with the designer's fiancé Lorenzo Martone "semi-hosting" a table of his own. Jacobs will dress fellow host Kate Moss as well as Helena Christensen in Marc Jacobs confections while Madonna (the current Louis Vuitton campaign model) and Kerry Washington will wear Louis Vuitton. "How did you hear that?" Washington replied at last night's Chanel dinner for the Tribeca Film Festival. "I am so excited about my ensemble. I know what I'm wearing, but I'm not telling."
Calvin Klein Collection is one of the few American houses that will host its own table this year. The brand's women's creative director Francisco Costa is rumored to be dressing Halle Berry, while men's creative director Italo Zucchelli is suspected to outfit Berry's beau (and Calvin Klein model) Gabriel Aubry. Audrey Tatou, the new face of Chanel No. 5, and Lagerfeld favorite Diane Kruger will appear as guests of Chanel. Gisele will attend the gala with John Galliano, while runway favorite Lily Donaldson will attend with Narciso Rodriguez.

Jason Wu earns another A-list fan; Jessica Alba will follow in the footsteps of Michelle Obama to wear one of his Smithsonian-worthy evening gowns. Kate and Laura Mulleavy will outfit Jessica Stam in a Rodarte confection. Brian Reyes will squire Ivanka Trump in one of his creations. Carol Alt will wear DSquared2. Derek Lam will attend the gala with newlyweds Brooklyn Decker and Andy Roddick as well as Liya Kebede.

Ciara will attend as a guest of new Pucci creative director Peter Dundas. Coco Rocha has partnered with Isaac Mizrahi. Arlenis Sosa and Daria Werbowy will appear as the guests of Lancôme. Brian Atwood has created a custom dress for Rachel Bilson, who will wear head-to-toe Bally. Model Lakshmi Menon will wear Rachel Roy, while Heidi Klum will walk up the stairs of the Met on the arm of Gilles Mendel. Lauren Hutton has recovered from a recent surfing injury and will indeed attend the gala with Michael Kors. Peter Som will accompany buzzed-about new model Anne Vyalitsyna.
Many models have been confirmed for the event, although it has not yet been decided who will dress Natalia Vodianova, Claudia Schiffer, Agyness Deyn, Isabeli Fontana, Lara Stone, Chanel Iman, Natasha Poly, Raquel Zimmermann, Sasha Pivovarova, Jourdan Dunn, Hilary Rhoda, Caroline Trentini, Eva Herzigova, Elizabeth Hurley, Carolyn Murphy, Hana Soukupova, Anja Rubik, Anna Jagodzinska, Edita Vilkeviciute, Magdalena Frackowiak, Karolina Kurkova, Iman, Karlie Kloss, and Christy Turlington.Adriana Lima was invited by Givenchy and might not be able to attend, but Mariacarla Boscono is expected to join Riccardo Tischi for the affair. As for those missing in action? Maria Sharapova politely declined invites from the second straight year as she is training for the French Open, and newly-minted Oscar winners Kate Winslet and Penelope Cruz are not expected to join the festivities. Beyoncé's schedule is particularly tricky, since her "I Am" tour requires the star to perform in Rotterdam on May 3 and Paris on May 5. But she has been known to travel quite comfortably on private jets...
ASHLEY BAKER & VALENTINE UHOVSKI
http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6631274

Metropolitan Museum's
The minimalism of the ’90s, as expressed by Giorgio Armani, Jil Sander, and Calvin Klein, and the eccentricity of young Belgian, Japanese, and British designers, still relied on supermodels, with newcomers like Amber Valletta, Nadja Auermann, and Shalom Harlow rising to “It Girl” status. By the close of the century, übermodel Gisele Bündchen elevated and branded the supermodel aesthetic, enhancing it with the added sheen of global superstar status—working all areas from print to runway to movie screen with unprecedented ubiquity.
:flower:

I love this Gisele is the only übermodel !!!!

...buzzed-about new model Anne Vyalitsyna...

Really? Anne has been modeling forever and a day...writers :rolleyes:

I hope Agyness is a guest of Burberry! This year Christopher's 'favourites' have been snapped up by other houses! Kate Moss, Lily D, Daria etc.

I hope Lara is a guest of Givenchy as well. But who will go with Pilati? Christy Turlington?

And Versace? Both Gisele and Kate have been taken! I hope Natasha Poly is a guest of Donatella's. Would be brilliant, no?!

I can't imagine Natasha as a guest for Versace, but I would love it if Catherine showed up with Mario Testino, although I doubt it will happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->