Cover Rumor Thread

Just when you think you’ll read only one offensive post per page. ‘People’ meaning ME and I SAID WHAT I SAID. What Black woman wants a Vogue cover right now when the only reason why they’ll get one is because they know Colonial Broad and Condé Nast is being called out for their racism? You don’t think that tokenism would bother them?

I do think that tokenism would bother a Black woman, but I also know Black women are not some monolith of uniform thought. Anna Wintour has been who she is for decades, a famously difficult and elitist person. Vogue has been an elitist magazine for over a century and does not have a good track record with regards to diversity, though I think there has objectively been a huge improvement in that regards over the past decade. Anna's internal memo sent to the Vogue team and ALT's memoir didn't really reveal anything new, I don't think. So the women who were willing to work with Anna multiple times on Vogue covers and in some cases also appear at the Met Gala or at other events with Anna? I think they either believe she is not a racist and did not consider their appearance as an example of tokenism (likely, imo), don't care because they want a Vogue cover, or are willing to suffer Anna because they believe a greater good is served by them appearing on Vogue - young girls seeing a Black woman on such a prominent magazine, for instance. Cardi B, Ugbad Abdi, Adut Akech, and Simone Biles all shot covers in 2020 prior to renewed public interest in Anna's problematic ways, proving Anna's interest in presenting a diverse grouping of women in the magazine isn't merely a reaction to recent backlash. So why couldn't a Black woman, seeing that she would be the 5th Black women to appear on the cover of American Vogue so far this year (not counting several more who appeared on the April fold out print cover + their own digitial covers - all shot by a Black photographer), accept the offer of a Vogue cover with some level of confidence that she's not merely being used as a tokenism, to cover Anna's ***.

Of course you don’t since you so offensively started that Black women think a Vogue cover is an accomplishment. Really? Michelle Obama, the first Black FLOTUS, Harvard Law grad who mentored her husband at the high profile law firm where they met is going to look back at all her accomplishments in her golden years and think fondly of her magazine covers from racist Colonial Broad? Really? Or Oprah, the first Black woman billionaire? Or Serena, one of the greatest athletes of all time? They’ll think fondly of their multiple covers Colonial Broad gave them to avoid putting other Black women on the cover, in essence tokenizing them and think fondly about it?

Nevermind the context for these covers - Oprah’s when Vogue actually meant something but she had to lose weight to get it, or Michelle’s covers as a favor to the woman who raised a lot of money for her husband’s presidential campaigns.

Anna loves repeat cover stars. You may interpret her multiple covers for Michelle Obama, Serena, Beyonce, Rihanna, Zendaya, and Lupita that way, but what about all the white women she repeats? Taylor Swift, Adele, Scarlett, Reese, Sienna Miller, etc. That's just Anna's MO, as I see it. She gets it in her head that someone is a Vogue Woman, and they get multiple covers, while many other arguably deserving women never make an appearance. I don't see how some Black women getting multiple covers is evidence of a plot of withhold covers from other Black women. It just doesn't add up, to me, within the context of all Vogue covers.

I believe I stated that "just about any model or celebrity" would want a Vogue cover, I didn't say that Black women specifically needed them for validation. Of course someone as accomplished, beloved, and successful as Michelle Obama, Oprah, or Serena doesn't *need* Vogue covers, I'm not claiming it was top of their bucket list and will be the highlight of their lives. However, in as much as any of them might value something as frivolous as a magazine cover, I believe they may value Vogue. Many accomplished and brilliant people have a strong appreciation for fashion and being on what is sometimes referred to as "the fashion bible" might bring them some joy. Michelle Obama did 3 covers, and was featured in other issues. That's more than a favor. Is it so crazy to think she enjoyed being on the cover? I am not putting words in the mouths of these women or pretending to know their motivations. I know Oprah was asked to loose weight for the cover. Oprah also very publicly endorses and makes tens of millions off a diet brand and has been very vocal about weight struggles for decades, so perhaps weight loss, the dramatic reveal of which would be in the form of a Vogue cover, wasn't unappealing to her or a source of shame? I don't know. I feel she's essentially done the same thing for O Magazine or on her show. Thandie Newton said, upon hearing that Conde Nasty had 20 meetings about putting Oprah on the cover (not sure if this is hyperbole or not) that she expressed her outrage to Oprah, who responded with "these things take time". It's awful to think a women as famous and accomplished and loved as Oprah was treated as though her appearance was a risk or that she was an unworthy subject, but it seems that may have been the case. She did the cover anyway, and probably brought about some long-term good. Or maybe she just thought she looked great? I don't know. Perhaps another barrier broken, less time, less "risk assessment" meetings for the next Black woman. It seems Serena had a very different experience from Oprah. Often when she posts a cover on instagram she'll just list the title of the magazine and tag those involved. For her most recent US Vogue cover, she captioned: "When I first saw this Vogue cover it brought tears to my eyes. All Vogue covers are special but to share this one with my beautiful daughter, also the youngest Vogue cover star, makes it moment I will never forget." I think that speaks for itself, and backs up my point somewhat.

As if politics, playing nice, money and a whole host of other factors didn’t come into play other than you thinking that Colonial Broad was so generous to look down on these lowly Black women who shouldn’t expect anything so CB giving them a magazine cover is a major accomplishment for them. Because that’s the subtext of your post. And all I have to say to that is WTF?

Lupita, maybe since being a fashion darling was her lifeline when Hollywood only hired her for voiceover work. Or Rihanna since it was a stepping stone to her being a ‘mogul’. But let’s not conflate all Black women in this conversation because you do know not all Black women are interchangeable, right?

That is not the subtext of my post. That's essentially the least generous possible way to interpret the subtext of what I wrote. I do not deny there are a variety of reasons a Black women might choose to appear on the cover. You seem to be denying that actually wanting a Vogue cover could be one of them, though. And my post was not only about Black women, either. There have been rumors of such-and-such celebrity turning down Vogue covers for a long time, which never seem to be backed up by evidence and are sometimes proven incorrect. That was my point. This narrative that a US Vogue cover is no longer a "get" has been alive and thriving since well before 2020. My point was never that Black women specifically couldn't possibly turn down Vogue, but rather that I find it unlikely anyone would turn down Vogue, and I listed several accomplished (to varying degrees) Vogue covers stars, some of whom were Black, to illustrate my point.

What I also find ridiculous is that if Anna puts a Black woman on the September issue or chooses a Black photographer for the September issue it will be tokenism. Nevermind the fact she's already had 4 Black women on Vogue covers in 2020, 2 of which were shot by a Black photographer. Isn't that a better diversity track record than Harper's Bazaar, Town & Country, UK Vogue, InStyle, Elle, and all the rest who are rushing to diversify for September. And they're getting nearly universal praise for it. Where is the charges of tokenism against each of them? If Anna chooses a Black women for US Vogue's September issue, some will say it's tokenism. If she chooses a white woman, some will say she is refusing to uplift Black voices and celebrate Black talent, that she's racist. She basically can't win if her goal is appeasing her critics. What she can do is prove, over the course of the rest of her career as EIC, that she's committed to Vogue representing a diversity of women. I believe that's what she's been doing for the past few years, and I believe it's what she'll continue doing, at an accelerated pace.

I apologize for such a lengthy post (rant) but hopefully that clarifies my standpoint on things.

Last edited:
With the theme being “Hope,” or activism, could the US cover possibly be Kamala Harris? What if they photographed and interviewed all the women on Biden’s shortlist and were waiting for it to be confirmed before printing which could be why the reveal is taking so long.

Edit: Nevermind, after actually typing it and hitting send, I realized how stupid it sounds. Disregard. :ninja:

With the theme being “Hope,” or activism, could the US cover possibly be Kamala Harris? What if they photographed and interviewed all the women on Biden’s shortlist and were waiting for it to be confirmed before printing which could be why the reveal is taking so long.

Edit: Nevermind, after actually typing it and hitting send, I realized how stupid it sounds. Disregard. :ninja:

It's not a stupid thought! Though, it's premature. Vogue made it clear that it is a Democratic/left-leaning magazine. The Trump snub was very telling. However, it is still very premature to have Kamala on the cover. They'll wait it out until November. Though make no mistake, they will endorse her and Biden big time.

Should Biden win (let's all pray and manifest this), Jill Biden (March 2021) and Kamala Harris (September 2021) separate covers are coming [or v.v.]

Isn't that a better diversity track record than Harper's Bazaar, Town & Country, UK Vogue, InStyle, Elle, and all the rest who are rushing to diversify for September. And they're getting nearly universal praise for it. Where is the charges of tokenism against each of them?

Agreed wholeheartedly!

I opened the image in my computer and zoomed it. :rofl::rofl:

So shady, LOL!

Reactions: KoV
Imagine if Charli D'Amelia was US Vogue's cover star for the month when TikTok will be banned in the US.

What a momentous moment! The next big star just lost her platform. A full-circle moment!

Probably no one cares but Marie Claire China September is Du Juan, Cici Xiang, He Cong, Chu Wong, and Lina Zhang. Sounds very promising to me.

Literally where is US Vogue? I looked and last year's September cover was released August 8.

If I remember correctly, a while ago there was news reporting this year's September issue would actually hit the newsstand in September. If that is still the case, the cover won't be revealed that soon...

^ Yup, i don't understand why people are expecting the cover reveal already. It's going to be released later this year, WWD reported it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->