CR Fashion Book #7 : Lady Gaga by Bruce Weber

Seriously she pick Gaga as the cover? Is she still relevant now? Her heyday is over i guess...

Why can't they let Lady Gaga fade into oblivion, where she belongs?

As predicted, the reactions to Gaga are as laughable now as they were when they were all decrying how "irrelevant" she was six or seven years ago, too. Clearly she's just SO irrelevant that the people whose opinion actually effects anything -- aka the editors, photographers, designers, creative directors, awards show organizers, music producers, television creators etc etc -- still seek her out to work with. Honestly I wish I could be that irrelevant.

Then again, this is tFS. It seems that 90% of the people who ever appear in or on magazines are labelled irrelevant. It's like the words "chic" or "couture" in that it seems to have lost any and all meaning as a word.

As for the covers, I like them. As someone said, Lady Gaga and Bruce Weber sound like such an unlikely pairing on paper that that alone makes them sort of interesting. Personally I prefer the black bride cover, but then I have a soul as black as my clothes, so that's no surprise.

And while I adore Taraji, she's a positively random person to throw out there as a preferred alternative for this cover. For starters, she was just on the cover of W this summer and she's got a feature in September's Vogue, so she's well represented as it is. Plus, she doesn't appear to have any connection to Carine -- who seems to select people she actually knows and likes in some way -- nor does she really relate to the vision that Carine has for her magazine. So, why would Carine have picked her?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree that Gaga is irrelevant or that her time is up... There's lot of talent in that girl... Nevertheless, I hate the editorial and I only like the first cover...

As predicted, the reactions to Gaga are as laughable now as they were when they were all decrying how "irrelevant" she was six or seven years ago, too. Clearly she's just SO irrelevant that the people whose opinion actually effects anything -- aka the editors, photographers, designers, creative directors, awards show organizers, music producers, television creators etc etc -- still seek her out to work with. Honestly I wish I could be that irrelevant.

Then again, this is tFS. It seems that 90% of the people who ever appear in or on magazines are labelled irrelevant. It's like the words "chic" or "couture" in that it seems to have lost any and all meaning as a word.

As for the covers, I like them. As someone said, Lady Gaga and Bruce Weber sound like such an unlikely pairing on paper that that alone makes them sort of interesting. Personally I prefer the black bride cover, but then I have a soul as black as my clothes, so that's no surprise.

And while I adore Taraji, she's a positively random person to throw out there as a preferred alternative for this cover. For starters, she was just on the cover of W this summer and she's got a feature in September's Vogue, so she's well represented as it is. Plus, she doesn't appear to have any connection to Carine -- who seems to select people she actually knows and likes in some way -- nor does she really relate to the vision that Carine has for her magazine. So, why would Carine have picked her?

I would seek that sort of irrelevance too... Maybe not because I never wanted to be famous but let's say in the area of work that I do... But if Anna wants me on the cover of September issue I might consider:-)))

Carine was fantastic for Vogue Paris .. but now her days are over.
She just lost it! (imo)

And Lady Gaga? O please :lol: ... ZZZ :arrow: NEXT!

Lady Gaga is so passé atm, why choose her?!

I'm really over Carine for sometime now, I expect nothing from her so I can't be disappointed.
I feel like she stands for nothing, so she'll fall for anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZERO interest in Gaga. Can't even bother trying to look at the images from the edit. I'll wait for the real content.

She wasn't accused of being irrelevant in this forum back when she was in every cover and had hit singles for a whole year. I remember clearly it was only a handful of people that found her music totally mundane while the rest melted over her out of this world getups, campaigns, little monsters club, music and would go all the way arguing how ground-breaking it was.

One good thing in the fashion industry is that it can be infinitely and stubbornly more accepting and forgiving than the others once you're in, even moreso than the public itself... if you become some sort of hasbeen elsewhere, it does not matter to them as long as they can still create some saleable image or concept around you and you remain friends with the people on top.. you've got all these mysteries with no particular talent or who last created something some 2-3 years ago, presented in fashion magazines like the freshest thing to be after, not for any specific reason, just because they got a bob haircut or suddenly started wearing Givenchy, or moved to Manhattan, anything without real significance or impact (or let's just say it, relevance) outside the borders of fashion or anywhere near popular culture, maybe they just sipped cocktails with an editor and that suffices.

In that aspect I agree the meaning of relevance or irrelevance is different, and not just actual industry vs. online forum but fashion vs. everywhere else, random sidewalk included. I don't know any person that listens to Lady Gaga, or even talks about her, man I have never heard anyone ever mention Rita Ora nor do I know what she sounds like or feel 100% sure that her day job is actually music or acting.. but evidently she's a tour de force in fashion and constant relevance to editors, photographers and designers alike. You could say well you live in a bubble but I have a feeling fashion was always the bubble? :lol:... either way it's true that people speak in terms outside the industry, whether that's inaccurate or accurate depends on the perspective...

Taraji was shot by Bruce Weber for this issue. There is a video of it on the CR website.

I quite like this actually. She's completely unretouched and her face is so unique. There is something that is so consistently watchable about her, even if she is "irrelevant" despite just being nominated for an Emmy, getting Oscar buzz for a new song, working on an album, winning a grammy, and appearing in AHS this season.

Gaga is always trying so hard to be shocking and all that...but i feel we have seen this...and its been done before....nothing special or amazing about those covers...:unsure:

She wasn't accused of being irrelevant in this forum back when she was in every cover and had hit singles for a whole year. I remember clearly it was only a handful of people that found her music totally mundane while the rest melted over her out of this world getups, campaigns, little monsters club, music and would go all the way arguing how ground-breaking it was.

One good thing in the fashion industry is that it can be infinitely and stubbornly more accepting and forgiving than the others once you're in, even moreso than the public itself... if you become some sort of hasbeen elsewhere, it does not matter to them as long as they can still create some saleable image or concept around you and you remain friends with the people on top.. you've got all these mysteries with no particular talent or who last created something some 2-3 years ago, presented in fashion magazines like the freshest thing to be after, not for any specific reason, just because they got a bob haircut or suddenly started wearing Givenchy, or moved to Manhattan, anything without real significance or impact (or let's just say it, relevance) outside the borders of fashion or anywhere near popular culture, maybe they just sipped cocktails with an editor and that suffices.

In that aspect I agree the meaning of relevance or irrelevance is different, and not just actual industry vs. online forum but fashion vs. everywhere else, random sidewalk included. I don't know any person that listens to Lady Gaga, or even talks about her, man I have never heard anyone ever mention Rita Ora nor do I know what she sounds like or feel 100% sure that her day job is actually music or acting.. but evidently she's a tour de force in fashion and constant relevance to editors, photographers and designers alike. You could say well you live in a bubble but I have a feeling fashion was always the bubble? :lol:... either way it's true that people speak in terms outside the industry, whether that's inaccurate or accurate depends on the perspective...
Honestly I have a totally different recollection of how things were even when she first burst on the scene, at least as it pertains to this forum. Her first V cover for Fall 2009 was snottily remarked upon by plenty of people who were just sooooo over her and questioning her relevance, calling her a flash in the pan or whatever, even in spite of the fact that she'd only recently come to be famous. So it's kind hard not to involuntarily roll my eyes when the subject has changed so much more than the half-***ed criticisms of her have. :lol:

I'm not a Lady Gaga stan by any stretch of the imagination, but is she as irrelevant as most here seem to desperately insist she is? She hasn't put out a solo album in a few years, I think, but didn't it sell better than most other pop stars? Didn't her Tony Bennett duets album and tour do really well within the past year? Hasn't the media been all over the fact that she's staring in the new AHS series? Didn't she get universal acclaim for her Oscars performance? Don't see how she's any less relevant than any other pop star who hasn't put out an album in a year or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->