Cracked Heels

Hanne

Storm & Sommer
Reaction score
cpdryheel4gc.gif

(image from epodiatry.com)

Anybody else have this problem ?
How do you deal with it?
I heard rubbing your feet in eight hour creme and putting on socks and sleeping with them on should be great :huh: ?

What are cracked heels:

Cracked heels are a common foot problem that are often referred to as heel fissures. Cracked heels are commonly caused by dry skin (xerosis), and made more complicated if the skin around the rim of the heel is thick (callus). For most people this is a nuisance and a cosmetic problem but when the fissures or cracks are deep, they are painful to stand on and the skin can bleed - in severe cases this can become infected.

What does a cracked heel look like:

The skin is normally dry and may have a thick callus which appears as yellow or dark brown discolored area of skin, especially along the inside border of the heel. Cracks in the skin are usually obvious.

What are the symptoms of cracked heels:

If the cracks are bad enough there will be pain on weight bearing, that is not there when weight is off the heel. The edges or rim around the heel will generally have a thicker area of skin (callus). Wearing open or thin soled shoes usually make the symptoms worse.

What causes cracked heels:

Some people tend to have a naturally dry skin that predisposes them to the cracks. The thickened dry skin (callus) around the heel that is more likely to crack is often due to mechanical factors that increase pressures in that area (eg the way you walk).
Other factors that can be involved in the cause of cracked heels include:
  • prolonged standing (at work or home, especially on hard floors)
  • being overweight (this increases the pressure on the normal fat pad under the heel, causing it to expand sideways - if the skin is not supple and flexible, the pressures to 'crack' are high)
  • open back on the shoes (this allows the fat under the heel to expand sideways and increases the pressure to 'crack')
  • some medical conditions predispose to a drying skin (eg autonomic neuropathy in those with diabetes leads to less sweating; an underactive thyroid lowers the body's metabolic rate and there is a reduction in sweating, leading to a dryness of the skin)
  • skin conditions (eg psoriasis and eczema)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hanne - my mum gets this and rubs thick hand cream into her heels which helps. she gets it because she wears flip flops all year round. Its very sore if the cracks split.

I get it because I never apply creme or lotion to my feet after showering - I just hate slippery feet on the bathroom floor..and other primming issue take precedence :ninja:

When I was younger I got those really deep cracks in my heels during summer (never so much that it bleed, but it was painful) - but since I started having my feet summer prepped at a podiatrist I haven't had it that bad..

What I do is use a pumice when I'm in the bath...then when you get out smother your heels in thick handcream/good footcream. Let it soak in for a bit then put some socks on...I think you might be able to get moisturising socks...like the hand ones from the body shop or something that might help.

*Before you go to sleep soak your feet in hot water with a tablespoon of salt. *Scrub away the dead callusy skin with a pumice stone. Rinse.*Slather your heels with petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and put on a pair of cotton socks. Leave them on overnight.

to make my feet nice and soft i smother my feet in vasaline intensive care moisturiezer then throw some cling film or plastic bags on my feet then stick some socks on!

i only do this before i go to bed though because i dont recommend trying to walk about like this because it is mighty tricky! and when i take the socks and bags off in the morning i have lovely soft feet :heart:

you get more intense softness because the plastic keeps the moisture in

fashionista-ta said:
Just what I was thinking ... have you tried the Amazing Cream for its off-label purpose? :D :wink:

No but I think I might have to look it up :lol:

I just rub vasaline into the dry part and leave cotton socks on all night! Works wonders!

I had really bad heels las winter (like in the picture in the first post). I used a body shop foot-file and "Zim's Crack Creme" on them, and it worked for me. It has a very strong scent, though. Smells like cloves.

File a Foot by bodyshop $4
thebodyshop-ca_1868_13812512

Zims Crack Creme/Cream $8.99
feet.jpg

Get very coarse sandpaper and use it on dry heels. I use the coarsest sandpaper they have. Then put vaseline or some kind of moisturizer on. Sounds masochistic, but it really works.

my mum has them - very deep cracks.
we bought all sorts of different creams....
so... bear with me here.
i got her - ahem - guess what :innocent:
Shea Butter - for her face
she tried it on her heels (w/out my advice)
and said that it's helping her heels....
sooo...
:rolleyes:

alouisa said:
"Zim's Crack Creme" on them, and it worked for me. It has a very strong scent, though. Smells like cloves.

Zims Crack Creme/Cream $8.99
feet.jpg

how long did it take for this to work for you?
i've been curious about Zim's

^^ Every day for about 2-3 weeks + the file. my feet were pretyy bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->