Demna Gvasalia - Designer, Creative Director of Balenciaga

Gvasalia's short career pioneering his own brand is not what hesitates confidence in this appointment - Nicolas never led a brand before he took over Balenciaga, only designing suits and funeral clothes for one of the brand's licensees, and we know how incredible that turned out. Gvasalia at Balenciaga disinterests me because in Vetement's existence he has yet to present an invigorating collection in my opinion. His ideas are radical but not original and lack substance. His shows are mere phantoms of Margiela's, a MMM diffusion brand at best.

He may still surprise us, Balenciaga's team, resources, and archives could be the creative catalysts he needs. The brand has housed two of fashion's most brilliant and influential designers ever, Cristobal and Nicolas, tenures that still shine brilliantly. For Gvasalia to do great he cannot reflect their light like the moon, but be a star in his own right, I just doubt he has enough for a spark.

I can't named this all as ideas, this Vetements collection is horrible, and yes , radical only because he did was nobody did before. Not till this point :shock:

Yes,i hope too he will use all Balenciaga possibilities to present really good collection because i can't imagine some kind of Vetements , not in silk instead polyester , not wearing for good cast instead this "street" girls.
(If he means that the normal girls walking on the streets are looks like his models than it's simply offensive for all young girls!)

Balenciaga collection in Vetements style? And for Balenciaga prices? please, no!

He didn't sponsored his Vetements Label by himself, there are a few another persons, inkl. his brother.
Anyway, his Vetements now will be selling super because of all this media dicussions and Publicity.
Balenciaga has Attention and Publicity about this suprise such Gvasalia as artistic director.
Interesting which kind of contract he has.

I took a look today on Martin Margiela works, Vetements has nothing with MMM, Innovation maybe? But i don't see any Innovation in Vetements collection, i see only terrible collection. IMO.

Anyway, if Gvasalia has Talent and if he is clever enough ( i'm sure he is) he will succseed.

Just like Wang, Balenciaga has chosen another designer on hype. Someone who's been getting lots of buzz through the fashion circuit. First being a semi-finalist for the LVMH prize then having the right people at the right time for his show for Vetements. Being able to bring Anna, Kanye, other big names surely makes Balenciaga officials happy.

Will he succeed, like the future it's unknown which route he will go. Whether its a full 180 ala Saint Laurent or making another Ghesquiere-esque time period. I think he could do it but if it's like anything like Vetements, a rehash from Gvasalia's past two stints at Marginal and Vuitton (Both Jacobs and Ghesquiere) but less successful, Balenciaga needs to close.

Look at the damage it has done to Wang and Balenciaga itself, Wang can never possibly work for another luxury house ever again in reality after his tenure, he has to focus on his own label to succeed. He's already got an empire in his hands with the Wang label from the T to his eponymous label and objects. Wang's got something cooking and a possible backer in the future could lead to bigger things for Wang. Working again for another big house let's say Chanel just as an example, the same problems could arise as he had during his Balenciaga years, juggling two houses. Then in Balenciaga the damages aren't noticeable yet, just let the days or years past by and damage will soon be seen.

It's kind of shocking how pathetic of a state the house of Balenciaga is in now. Like, it really is so dispensable at this point.

Is it really necessary to be so negative about this? The positive thing here is that at least by choosing him Balenciaga makes people wonder "how will Demna's Balenciaga look like?". I think that was not the case with Wang. We all sort of knew how it will look like and I guess he delivered it because none of us have been sad to see him go.

I'm personally interested in this until I see something disappointing.

what i want to figure out is which MMM collections and which LV collections were his...
i think that is where we see how he works with an already established design vocabulary...

He worked for 8 years at MMM when Martin was still there and then He became the Senior designer of the Womenswear RTW design team between 2012 and 2014.

Industry Reacts to Demna Gvasalia’s Balenciaga Appointment

PARIS, France — On the last day of Paris Fashion Week, Demna Gvasalia, the 34-year-old Georgian designer behind the buzzy fashion “collective” Vetements, was appointed the next artistic director of Balenciaga.

But how will Gvasalia’s underground, almost anti-fashion streetwear aesthetic resonate with the past, present and future of Balenciaga, a storied couture house ​founded by one of fashion's greatest designers and then resuscitated by Nicholas Ghesquière, one of the most talented designers working today? ​Indeed, the ​curious ​timing of the Balenciaga announcement​ — ​which coincided with the Louis Vuitton show​ held on Wednesday morning​​ —​ seemed to ​position Gvasalia as a rival to the house's former creative director.​

BoF spoke to several industry insiders — many of whom noted the parallels with Ghesquière — to gauge their​ reactio​ns. Could​ ​​Gvasalia be fashion's new ​wonderboy?​

Tim Blanks, editor-at-large, The Business of Fashion
"What would you buy with an appointment like that? You’d buy buzz. Cristóbal Balenciaga is my favourite designer of all time. I’m trying to remember whether Martin Margiela revered Balenciaga. I’m sure he did — he must have. And Demna is from the school of Margiela. Actually, I think it’s very intriguing that Margiela, who was once considered to be such an outsider, such a sort of marginal figure in the fashion industry, has now co-opted Galliano and Balenciaga. It’s funny, I wonder where that will all end up in another 20, or 30 or 40 years."

Virginie Mouzat, editor-in-chief of fashion, Vanity Fair France
"I don’t know [him], but it’s going to shake up the system and I think that’s quite healthy. It’s so unexpected. I think it’s quite healthy to think out of the box."

Carla Sozzani, founder, 10 Corso Como
"For me, you know, it’s fantastic! I’m a Margiela fan — since the beginning — and I like the way Vetements do things in such a modern way. I think he can bring what they had with Ghesquière too, something very modern and advanced. It’s good to make the house move forward."

Katie Grand, editor-in-chief, Love magazine
"I think it’s super exciting. We worked with Demna at Vuitton and he’s a really nice guy and has impeccable taste — I’m super happy for him. I think it’s a perfect match. Balenciaga has recruited people previously who have been very exciting and I think he’s probably the most exciting person to do this. I think there seems to be something going at the Kering group where they employ people because they’re good, rather than politics."

Lisa Armstrong, fashion director, The Daily Telegraph
"I’m so intrigued. It seems to be quite typical of Kering to take a risky turn. Although they’re obviously being warned by fashion insiders, it’s a big leap from that to a fashion house like Balenciaga. I’m really excited to see what happens. I love these out-of-left-field appointments."

Tommy Ton, photographer and founder of Tommyton.com
"I think it’s really exciting. I think the industry is really waking up and ready to shake things to its core — to get things exciting again. From what I’ve seen, everyone was so bored up until today. [Demna Gvasalia’s] dabbled in many houses and I think he has enough experience to turn things around. He’s not going to do what he’s doing at Vetements, because that would be so easy, for him to do what he does at Vetements. And I’m sure what he was doing behind the scenes at Vuitton or wherever he was before — Margiela — will not look like that. But Balenciaga needs something radical, which I think is what Nicolas [Ghesquière] did 15 years ago."

Ece Sukan, stylist
"What I’ve observed with Vetements is that they are grabbing the youth very well. What a fashion brand needs is to be cool and to catch the zeitgeist and to catch the youth — so I think they will be good for updating Balenciaga for the world we’re living in — the digital world. It will be exciting to see, because all the other established designers are nice and exciting, but this is actually courageous and new and exciting."

Jo-Ann Furniss, fashion writer
"I think what’s been happening with Vetements is really interesting — but then there’s been this kind of enormous hype and enormous attention. I’m always scared for people when they have such a lot of focus on them, because it means that everyone expects everything in five minutes. And so to have this as well, that’s a tall order. But at least he’s not coming after Nicolas Ghesquière. So there’s a kind of a good will there, and it’s going to be really interesting to see. I think it’s going to be a really, really tough time for them. I just hope people can kind of give him a break and give him a chance and kind of go a bit easy on him."
businessoffashion

Rolling my eyes at people comparing him to Margiela. He wishes. -_-

^^
The same. I find it very scary actually that they are praising someone after 4 collections.
If Celine made people interested in the work of Helmut Lang, i believe that with Demna, Margiela will become the new obsession of the fashion crowd.

This article shows that current state of fashion:(. Showing oversized hoodies in a Chinese restaurant is compared to being one of the most revolutionary fashion designer ever.

Sad....

I don't think they're necessary comparing him and Margiela in terms of skills and talented... it's more that he comes from the same school, he shares similar ideologies, etc.

^^
The same. I find it very scary actually that they are praising someone after 4 collections.
If Celine made people interested in the work of Helmut Lang, i believe that with Demna, Margiela will become the new obsession of the fashion crowd.

It already has...

he shares similar ideologies, etc.

Of course not, every piece by Margiela had it's own purpose. Gvasalia has been making weird clothes without any context just for sake of being weird and getting hype, and he makes shows in some unexpected places. It's like a completely nobrainer. His collections haven't been anything new or, I don't know, it's not working on codes of Margiela. Oh, and Margiela wanted to stay in shadow of his clothes, that's why we can't be sure how he looks like. This guy won't be anonymous anymore.

this is IMO a pretty good idea because balenciaga finally choosed someone for his talent and not because the brand he created has grown incredibly fast (yup alexander) and is considered as "hype". gvasalia was unknown, and even if he is considered as " weird " and some say his clothes are made just for the sake of being weird, he is creative. someone called "margiela's spiritual son" is talented...

this is IMO a pretty good idea because balenciaga finally choosed someone for his talent and not because the brand he created has grown incredibly fast (yup alexander) and is considered as "hype". gvasalia was unknown, and even if he is considered as " weird " and some say his clothes are made just for the sake of being weird, he is creative. someone called "margiela's spiritual son" is talented...
Gvasalia was never unknown. I hate how people are like, "oh they chose such a new designer, someone young." Gvasalia, 39 has been in fashion for a very long time being an industry insider for major brands. Margiela for 8 years when Martin was still actually there. Then to Vuitton (2 collections with Marc, 2 with ghesquiere). It's very Alessandro Michele-esque, plucking someone who's been in the industry for a long time to work for a big industry house. Scary even to think that vetements has only been around for 4 seasons and Balenciaga plucked him to take over the house.

Gvasalia was never unknown. I hate how people are like, "oh they chose such a new designer, someone young." Gvasalia, 39 has been in fashion for a very long time being an industry insider for major brands. Margiela for 8 years when Martin was still actually there. Then to Vuitton (2 collections with Marc, 2 with ghesquiere). It's very Alessandro Michele-esque, plucking someone who's been in the industry for a long time to work for a big industry house. Scary even to think that vetements has only been around for 4 seasons and Balenciaga plucked him to take over the house.
i mean unknown compared to wang (and to be honest despite being an insider he has never been really visible until his friends and him launched vetements ) and actually most people are praising this choice because of demna's creativity and not his age. when you see how alessandro michele latest gucci collection was acclaimed, there is nothing wrong with hiring this kind of profile, and vetements first collection was sold by around 85 retailers so he can really do a great job at balenciaga. this might indeed sound surprising for such a big house, but it seems this is how things may work at kering now

I honestly don't think he got hired because of his talent or creativity, but because he managed to get a lot of buzz for Vetements. It was a breath of fresh air amid all these staged productions, it felt intimate and it resonated with both older fashion insiders who remembered the times when designers were starting out with very little money and used to re-purpose cheap fabrics and youngsters who have barely witnessed the phenomenon in recent years.

We'll see how this plays out.

Why do i feel like this is going to be Public school takes over DKNY

Demna Gvasalia — His Own Rules

DURING THE INTERNATIONAL marathon of fashion weeks, a good number of collections follow a familiar formula: Such-and-such an artist or musician or film or personality or geography or historical period inspires X designer. The show notes typically wax poetic about how these influences are expressed in X’s collection, and journalists and bloggers dutifully regurgitate this.

And then there’s Demna Gvasalia, the red-hot designer of Vetements, who starts out each collection by simply listing the garments it is to contain, like some banal shopping list: pants, cocktail dress, uniform top, sweatshirt, bomber jacket. Occasionally, an image sourced from Google represents the style. Sketching comes last, but not before each garment has been rethought, repurposed and injected with a nuclear-strength cool factor.

“The idea was really to work on a collection that is completely product-oriented, one by one. We select what we like, what kind of garment it is, and we see what creative concept to apply to it in order for it to become new or desirable — something that is kind of ‘actuel’ for today,” he says, employing the French word for “current.” “We’re not trying to push the boundaries of fashion, but just make clothes people want to have.”

In less than two years, the Georgian-born designer has catapulted his Paris-based brand and himself to the forefront of the international scene, electrifying fashion week with his brash, high-energy shows and pointing to a new path for fashion based on garments and wardrobe-building rather than seasonal themes or narratives.

He also became the talk of Paris Fashion Week when Balenciaga named him its new artistic director of collections, thrusting him from sudden alternative fashion hero to the creative head of a storied couture name.

He takes over from Alexander Wang, who logged a three-year tenure and was the original successor to Nicolas Ghesquière, who exited after a stellar 15-year tenure and defined Balenciaga’s inimitable brand of future-flecked and experimental couture. He subsequently joined Louis Vuitton.

“We really wanted somebody that has a vision, and some- one capable of reshuffling the cards,” Balenciaga chief executive officer Isabelle Guichot tells WWD about the daring appointment. “I was really amazed by his ability to develop an approach to the brand that was really new and that was really his own….What should be the attitude, what should be the silhouette, what should be the volumes.”

Gvasalia has yet to detail his intentions for the French Thouse, other than saying he would “further evolve the DNA of the house and, together with the team, write a new chapter in its history.”

To be sure, Gvasalia is an atypical and low- key fashion star who totes around his wallet and other affairs in a paper shopping bag, and who feels right at home in the nondescript cafés and bars of the gritty 10th arrondissement. All this heightens the underground, alternative penumbra that has accrued to Vetements, his brand named after the French word for clothes.

“Fashion used to create a dream: People used to dream about an amazing dress that they will probably never wear in their life, but that created an idea and an illusion,” says Gvasalia, dressed head-to-toe in coal-black denim, with a satin bomber jacket tossed over, for an interview on a terrace table at Allen’s Market Café. “Now it is much more about product, and much more about somebody wanting to have it or wear it.”

Grounded in the real world, Gvasalia says he gets inspired by observing people, whether on the street or in the queue at the supermarket, and prides himself on creating wearable clothes for the young and plugged-in — all injected with attitude.

“For me, fashion is something practical,” he reasons. “It’s made to be worn rather than change things, otherwise you will be an artist. I think and consider myself more like a dress-making brand.”

But it is a dress-making brand that comes to life in the basement darkrooms of a notorious gay club in Paris, or in a borderline grubby Chinese restaurant in the city’s Belleville district. Those venues for Vetements’ last two shows helped amplify the buzz as a cast of edgy characters barreled through narrow rows of chairs, imparting a sense of energy and urgency, two powerful emotions where fashion is concerned.

Trend forecaster Li Edelkoort sees Gvasalia as an emblematic figure as fashion moves away from narration to- ward a focus on the essence of clothes.

The idea harks back to Martin Margiela, a Belgian fashion maverick who became famous for repurposing vintage clothes, supersizing others, moving seams into clear view and wearing a white lab coat.

“There’s a focus on what is a garment; what is a cut; what is a shape,” Edelkoort tells WWD. “This is about more reconstruction than deconstruction. It’s a playful research on volume, details and shapes.”

Edelkoort says “normcore” foreshadowed the current movement, with people consciously choosing to have smaller wardrobes of basic, familiar garments. Designers like Gvasalia are taking that idea further, questioning how the character of clothes can allow the wearer to adopt various moods and attitudes, whether serious, seductive, cool or simply functional.

“I see it as a megatrend, not just something for a season,” she says. “It’s been building up for the last two or three seasons and it’s going to go far.

“It’ll bring more structure to fashion,” she adds, “which we haven’t seen for a long time.”

The 34-year-old Gvasalia says his focus on individual garments was drilled into him over the three-and-a-half years he worked at Maison Martin Margiela designing its women’s wear show collection. He kept that orientation, minus the conceptual overtones, noting that oversizing was a common practice, “but most of the time it doesn’t really work. It’s kind of forced on the garment.”

The fashion graduate of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp accepts parallels in Vetements to Margiela in the “approach that I personally learned when I worked there, where you start out basically loving clothes and turning them inside out, seeing how they’re made, and being inspired by the actual clothes to make new clothes.”

Yet new elements Gvasalia added include multiple references to streetwear and urban culture, which were not part of the Margiela legacy, either during his peak in the Nineties or now.

For the spring Vetements collection, Gvasalia worked on “the attitude of the biker,” incorporating biker jacket constructions into all matter of garments “so basically when you wear it, it creates an attitude.” He also injected jolts of humor, including apron dresses made of printed leather that resembled cheap plastic tablecloths. “One of my best friends texted me and said she never laughed so much during a fashion show,” he relates.

After Margiela, Gvasalia spent two years at Louis Vuitton under Marc Ja- cobs before striking out on his own, his brother Guram functioning as co-owner and business head of Vetements, which launched in March 2014. The label functions as a creative collective, with Gvasalia the leader of its eight members, plus three in- terns, all of whom are invited to discuss ideas for garments in groups or separately.

Gvasalia bluntly says that roughly 30 percent of his time, and of his collaborators’, is spent online. He also collaborates with a young sociologist friend, who questions people on the streets of London and Paris, probing what made them select what goes on their back. “He asks them about why they wear this particular pair of jeans, what they liked about them, if it’s the high waist or the low waist, if they feel better in it because you know, all those things are very important to consider when you make clothes, how people are feeling in them,” he says.

Gvasalia also has a penchant for questioning the fashion system, whose overabundance of collections puzzles him. “I’m not really sure if the market actually demands all those clothes,” he says, questioning the logic of pre-collections, increasing show investments, and perennial production snafus such as fabric deliveries.

“You know we deliver winter in July; it doesn’t make any sense,” he laments. “It’s just so confused that I feel something needs to happen to find a new mechanism or system to work because it is a lot of money wasted as well, on development, on selling things we don’t really need.”

On the plus side, the designer spies a trend toward more individual dressing, which he cheers.

“I feel like today people are more in this individual approach and they want to be different from other people,” he says, citing the death of the “It” bag as proof of that.

Told that some fashion folk detect a perfume of Communist-bloc Eastern Europe to his designs, Gvasalia doesn’t balk, explaining that he was living in Georgia before the dissolution of the Soviet Union, meaning he had to do a crash course in Western culture. “I discovered Goth at the same time as hip-hop and rave and all those things that have nothing to do with each other, but it was all the same time period,” he explains.

One senses this urgency of discovery and barrage of influences at a Vetements show, where street-cast models seem to hurl themselves down the runway, not bothering to walk properly on their heels or assume correct posture.

Gvasalia says he doesn’t consider Vetements to be underground, as Belgian and Japanese fashions were perceived in the early Nineties, noting that “we play by the same rules” as establishment brands — having showrooms, a Paris fashion show on the official calendar, and a designer bio on his Web site.

Yet he considers the mix of people on his runway — flown in from London, Stockholm, Russia and Helsinki — as underground, as some of them are escorts, don’t have permanent addresses and smoke joints during fittings.

He also taps into the burgeoning youth culture in Paris. “Suddenly there are parties outside in abandoned factories, and music you don’t normally hear in clubs,” he enthuses. “It’s a new generation of people who grew up in Paris and are now in their 20s and they kind of do things in their own way. These Europeans are different from their parents’ generation, and I think that brings energy.”

One of Gvasalia’s key collaborators is Russian stylist Lotta Volkova Adam, whom he describes as one of his best friends who became an integral part of the Vetements team, from brainstorming to casting to styling — tasks she will also do at Balenciaga, where Gvasalia is to have his runway debut in March.

He stops short of calling her a muse. “She is very versatile in the way she’s dressing,” he says. “She’s more of an interface for me, like I need somehow a woman to talk about the clothes and to get the very subjective feminine opinion about things.”

Gvasalia is also wading more deeply into men’s wear, opening his spring show with Russian designer Gosha Rubchinskiy in a black shirt and DHL logo top. For the fall, he’s plotting a full wardrobe, including knitwear, leather, denim and tailoring, although he will parade them alongside the women’s wear.

“It’s a little complicated because men’s wear buyers are not there and they don’t have budget, but our clothes are quite unisex most of the time, but they’re more suited on women,” he shrugs.

Vetements will be stocked in about 120 top specialty stores around the world come spring, which he considers almost the limit, though he may add department stores in the future. Among marquee retailers that carry the brand are Maxfield in Los Angeles; Susan of San Francisco; Blake in Chicago; Joyce in Hong Kong, plus online at Net-a-porter.com, Matchesfashion.com, antonioli.com and nordstrom.com.

“For me, the production platform is the most important thing: to really have trusted manufacturers who can deliver on time and understand your language. The two biggest challenges for a brand like ours is cash flow and production. If that works, then fashion is a happy place for us,” he says. “The ambition is really to continue making clothes that people want to have, that they wear from season to season.”
wwd.com

i-D 23 January, 2016
by Anders Christian Madsen
...On March 6th Vetements' Demna Gvasalia will make his debut as creative director of Balenciaga for its women's show, but on Friday the industry got a small glimpse into what to expect. The brand's menswear presentation - model-free, by appointment only, "and no pictures, please" - contained a collection designed by the house's team after the departure of former creative director Alexander Wang, but styled - in shots featured on a board in the showroom - by Gvasalia. It had all the nostalgia and subversion of his work for Vetements: gardening gloves dipped in black latex, an apron that would look equally at home in a butcher's shop as in a gay sex club, and rails and rails of really amazing jackets and coats, which riffed on the volume-centric heritage of Balenciaga. That's enough preview for now, though. Let the countdown begin.

SSENSE Interview
by Suleman Anaya, read full article here.
Did the Spartan formal vocabulary of the house’s beginnings appeal to you?

I don’t think that way. I never thought along the lines of “Oh, I like the cocoon coat and see myself doing something with that.” I don’t make those kinds of links to my personal creative preferences. I saw more of an affinity in terms of a general approach towards clothing, how clothes work on people and what they do to them. I read a lot about Cristóbal Balenciaga’s way of working. The turning point for me may have been this story about a client – a rich woman with the posture of the older woman she was – whose presence was completely transformed when she put on the clothes he made for her. Suddenly, she straightened up and her frame appeared younger. When I read that, I thought: “Of course! That’s why people should be making clothes.” It’s more like dressmaking than what we understand as fashion.

Still, looking at the house’s creative legacy, there must be specific aspects that appeal to you more than others. Are you, for instance, thinking of fabric development and new shapes, like Ghesquière did, or something entirely different?

I am less interested in innovation in terms of developing a new fabric. For me, an authentic fabric that isn’t necessarily new or high-tech is far more exciting. The biggest innovation has to happen in terms of methodology, the processes by which you make a collection, and also in terms of what you make. I am interested in analyzing fashion at that level. That’s where I want to work, and what I think needs to change. For example, do we really need ten jersey long-sleeves in a collection? Let’s really examine that. Because there are so many clothes. To make more of them is perverse unless there is a real reason for them to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iphone4321
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->