Demna Gvasalia Exits Vetements

Melancholybaby

Reaction score
Demna Gvasalia, the Georgian designer who ignited the streetwear juggernaut in fashion, is stepping down from Vetements, the brand that sparked it — and also propelled him to the creative helm of Balenciaga in Paris.

Vetements has always been a collective of creative minds. We will continue to push the boundaries even further, respecting codes and the authentic values of the brand, and keep on supporting honest creativity and genuine talent,” Demna’s brother Guram Gvasalia, cofounder and chief executive officer of the Zurich-based fashion house, said in a statement. “What Demna has accomplished over the past few years represents a key chapter in the story of Vetements. We are very grateful to Demna for having contributed to the great momentum of the house.”

Both brothers declined to elaborate beyond the statement, released exclusively to WWD over the weekend.

It is understood Demna Gvasalia will continue in his role as creative director of Balenciaga, which is scheduled to parade its spring 2020 show in Paris on Sept. 29, while the release hinted at additional projects, saying the designer, 38, is stepping down from his position at Vetements “to pursue new ventures.”

“Demna’s talent and vision of fashion have been fundamental in the continued success of Vetements. He has made an outstanding contribution to the company’s legacy and in writing the codes of the brand,” the statement added.

For his part, the designer said: “I started Vetements because I was bored of fashion and against all odds fashion did change once and forever since Vetements appeared and it also opened a new door for so many. So I feel that I have accomplished my mission of a conceptualist and design innovator at this exceptional brand and Vetements has matured into a company that can evolve its creative heritage into a new chapter on its own.”

To be sure, Gvasalia brought something fresh, raw and exhilarating when he staged the Vetements fall 2015 show in Paris, sending models hurtling through the basement dark rooms of notorious gay sex club Le Depot in fireman polos, supersize trenchcoats and hoodies as the likes of Kanye West and Jared Leto looked on.

Soon his extra-long sleeves and monster shoulders were all over the runways, and $800 hoodies with wry slogans or logos became covetable items for sneaker heads and fashionistas alike.

With its wacky show venues — a grubby Chinese restaurant one season, flea market stalls the next — oversize silhouettes, hardcore proclivities and Eastern European aesthetic, Vetements quickly became a byword for an impassive, alternative brand of cool.

What’s more, Gvasalia innovated in fashion by draining collections of seasonal themes; gleefully and openly appropriating signposts of consumer culture; taking a sociological approach to analyzing what triggers consumer desire, and stretching the boundaries of what is considered luxurious and chic.

He also upended multiple industry conventions: staging runway shows during men’s and couture fashion weeks, or sometimes not at all; casting unconventional models and amateurs, mostly found on Instagram; inviting ordinary people with meager followings, not influencers, to help construct the Vetements image, and teaming with an array of brands with special manufacturing expertise, from Alpha Industries for bomber jackets to Juicy Couture for tracksuits.

With his black fingernails and facial scruff, Gvasalia was also seen as a ringleader for all things underground and alternative, exalting the grittier elements of Paris in his collections, along with jolts of S&M and punk, seen in kinky face hoods and spiky sunglasses.

While not a direct-to-consumer brand, Vetements leveraged the power of the Internet — particularly Instagram, where it has 3.5 million followers — to fan its notoriety, and powerful e-tailers like Net-a-porter, Matchesfashion.com and Ssense to anchor its wholesale-driven business model.

In a 2017 interview with WWD, Guram Gvasalia said, “my top five e-stores represent about half of my business. The dimensions of the orders and the dimensions of the merchandise you can sell online, it’s insane. The main stores are in big cities and now there are so many people outside of main cities that are starting to be aware of fashion.”

Yet the departure of Demna Gvasalia raises questions about how Vetements will maintain its cachet without its star thinker, who cultivated his design chops at Maison Margiela and Louis Vuitton.

Guram Gvasalia hinted at an array of positive vectors for the brand.

“This moment signifies a new era for Vetements, an era of growth and major expansion. New projects and surprise collaborations are to be revealed in the very near future,” he said, without evaluating further.

While surprising, Demna Gvasalia’s exit fits an industry trend for briefer tenures at major fashion brands, and what seems to be greater elasticity in brand image.

The spring 2020 Vetements collection, paraded at the McDonalds on the Champs-Élysées during men’s fashion week last June, pointed to a more sophisticated path for the brand, expressed in purposely wrinkled pin-striped suits for both sexes that can roll up in a suitcase, for example, or easy T-shirt dresses with an unstudied, sexy cool.

The brand, along with others associated with the streetwear boom, has lost some of its heat as fashion has shifted to a dressier look for men and women hinged on tailoring and polished casualwear. Vetements ranked ninth on the Lyst Index ranking of the hottest brands in the first quarter of 2019, ahead of Saint Laurent, but behind Off-White, Gucci, Balenciaga, Valentino, Fendi, Prada, Stone Island and Versace, first to eighth respectively.

While he never came out for a bow at the end of a Vetements show, Demna Gvasalia was instrumental to Vetements, named after the French word for clothes and signaling a garment-based approach to fashion.

Guram Gvasalia boasted in the 2017 interview that he paid his brother as much at Vetements as he was earning at Balenciaga. “I think it’s actually more. He has two jobs, but I don’t want him to have any priorities,” he said. We split in the middle [with Balenciaga] and we each get him for two-and-a-half days. It’s the same amount of work he’s doing and psychologically, for the same amount of work you should get paid the same and then you take care of it the same.

And Vetements, established in the French capital, in 2017 moved all operations to Zurich, partly at the behest of the designer, who sought a calmer lifestyle and installed himself on the wooded edge of the Swiss city.

In an interview earlier this year with WWD, Demna Gvasalia said he had a clearer sense of his design identity.

“Oversize, it’s my territory,” he said. “I definitely intend to defend what is my design territory.”

Born in Georgia, Gvasalia studied international economics at Tbilisi State University before he enrolled in Antwerp’s Royal Academy of Fine Arts, which spawned the original Antwerp Six in the early Eighties. He graduated with a master’s degree in fashion design in 2006, later that year collaborating with Walter van Beirendonck, one of the Six, on his men’s collections.

He joined Margiela in 2009 after the maverick Belgian founder retired, and was responsible for the women’s collections. In 2013, he moved over to Louis Vuitton, where he was senior designer of women’s ready-to-wear collections, initially under Marc Jacobs and briefly under Nicolas Ghesquière. But it was his Vetements project — billed as a creative collective from the start — that thrust him onto the international radar.
wwd.com

“I started Vetements because I was bored of fashion and against all odds fashion did change once and forever since Vetements appeared and it also opened a new door for so many. So I feel that I have accomplished my mission of a conceptualist and design innovator at this exceptional brand and Vetements has matured into a company that can evolve its creative heritage into a new chapter on its own.”
These illusions of grandeur lol...

Bahahah! We all knew Vetements wasn't going to last so good for Demna for snagging and succeeding in the Balenciaga job.

Who else read 'Demna Gvasalia exits Balenciaga'? :lol:

In the end this makes sense because Balenciaga under him is growing into a powerhouse brand because the CEO is treating the marketing as aggressive as Gucci, when it's not as big as Gucci. So obviously that means way more are expected from Demna than may have been from Nicolas.

But....I am anxious to see what a Vetements collections sans Demna will look like.

I don't see Vetements going anywhere without him tbh.

Can we get better Balenciaga collections now?

In the end this makes sense because Balenciaga under him is growing into a powerhouse brand because the CEO is treating the marketing as aggressive as Gucci, when it's not as big as Gucci

That also remains to be seen, honestly...the rapid expansion of Balenciaga under Demna's tenure is due to a very limited number of successful SKU's, namely Triple Sole, Speed Trainers and not much else. The stores are desperate to have a more balanced ratio of RTW vs ACC sales and the once best-performing bag department is not doing well.
Are customers at large, beyond the circle of the usual fanatics, going to be crazy all of a sudden for his oversized everything? Has Demna's aesthetic had on the market at large the same impact that, say, Hedi had in the early noughts (or Armani in the eighties), when literally everybody adopted the skinny look?
Quite crucially, are Demna's proposals something that looks good on an average customer? Is taste something still relevant at any level in the general fashion conversation?

That's the problem with bubbles, sooner or later they bust.

Wheter you like it or not, Demna Gvasalia was the next major fashion shifter of this decade after Phoebe Philo.
Philo brought quirky minimalism.
Gvasalia brought expensive streetwear.

He defined a mood and and an aesthetic that had a cult following.

Now in Paris, it's a mass trend for people to wear Balenciaga sneakers and Balenciaga logo tshirts...A lot of people buy it fake at Puces de Clignancourt where Gvasalia got a lot of his inspiration in the beginning.

I personally think that's his biggest achievement. Having his knockoffs sold in the place where he was looking for ideas.

And I will always be thankful to him for bringing a dirty/raw/agressive/weird vibe to fashion at a time where everything was luxurious and repetitive.

That also remains to be seen, honestly...the rapid expansion of Balenciaga under Demna's tenure is due to a very limited number of successful SKU's, namely Triple Sole, Speed Trainers and not much else. The stores are desperate to have a more balanced ratio of RTW vs ACC sales and the once best-performing bag department is not doing well.
Are customers at large, beyond the circle of the usual fanatics, going to be crazy all of a sudden for his oversized everything? Has Demna's aesthetic had on the market at large the same impact that, say, Hedi had in the early noughts (or Armani in the eighties), when literally everybody adopted the skinny look?
Quite crucially, are Demna's proposals something that looks good on an average customer? Is taste something still relevant at any level in the general fashion conversation?

Couldn't have put it any better. I think SS 2019 was his way of trying to push Balenciaga into the formal, and mostly conservative tailoring market. Everyone is really moving in that direction now like a flock of sheep, even Hedi. Imo it's actually part of a larger cultural shift in general where everything must above all else fit some single mould, but that's another conversation for another day. Or maybe they are in fact preparing for @MissMagAddict prediction of an impending global recession.

I'm sure the execs are slowly coming to the realisation that while it's great to have streetwear cred, it's just not sustainable enough in the long run. Although, in a field already filled by so many, I do agree with you, could Balenciaga stand firm? I think that largely depends on how dedicated Demna will approach his collections, and how they'll fine-tune their marketing approach. Right now they're really going hard at pushing bags only - not RTW or shoes.

To Demna's credit, I think Balenciaga did play a huge part in the ridiculously oversized or undersized vintage/streetwear trend. In fact, I'd go so far as to credit him and Michele solely for that. And that's actually still visible everywhere I turn. People are in fact still dressing like the models in his autumn campaign. But as with most things in life, you cannot fixate on something for too long or else your audience will move on and leave you behind. See Avril Lavigne.

Should be printed on a tshirt and forwarded to MCG, Michele, Demna et al. Mind you, just the other day I read that Gucci is slowly losing popularity in Asia.....

Nobody cares about Vêtements anyway...
In a way I knew this was coming. It reminds me so much of the Balmainmania...So explosive, so big and then people slightly get tired of it.

I knew also from the start that Vetements was a way to have a job at a big conglomerate. Now that we are done with this brand, the pressure will be intense for Demna but also Alessandro...

I don't see Vetements going anywhere without him tbh.

Can we get better Balenciaga collections now?
To be honest, I feel like he probably hasn't been doing that much for the brand anyway, at least since he joined Balenciaga. The whole brand (Vetements) has been so lazy recently that they've even resorted to re-releasing some previous season items.

With that being said, I don't hate the brand and I'm still particularly fond of their S/S 2017 collection with all those great collaborations. My main criticism is their ridiculous price point.

I saw this coming, it is too much to handle Vetements and Balenciaga at the same time. People have done that kind of juggle before but it takes an incredibly strong mental being and support team to do it. I would rather designers just focus on one luxury fashion house for the sake of their sanity. From a business and strategic perspective, I know it makes sense as well but I am not too well versed in that arena. I'm just speaking more from the perspective of a designer.

Either way, I wish the best for Demna and the team at Vetements. I really wish no ill will for them, everyone is just pursuing their passions and trying. Who knows? Maybe a young designer at Vetements can step up to the plate and change things, even though things like that don't happen too much in that type of brand. And Demna will either go more avant-garde or more classical at Balenciaga, I don't see him settling for a middle-ground really after knowing he is leaving Vetements. It gives him more room to breathe creatively.

Just my two cents.

I won't deny that the current fashion chapter, in which the final pages are finally beginning to turn, was authored primarily by Demna through his work at Vetements and Balenciaga. His influence is undeniable. It has permeated broader swaths of the fashion industry and saturated many more tiers of the market than Phoebe ever did. And I've hated every second of it.

Oh how I wish he was leaving Balenciaga instead of Vetements.

His influence is undeniable

To make my line of thought better understood:
I do not deny his role as a ring leader in the last few years, I just don't buy the whole act as sold by the media. I do remember the reviews at the time of his debut Balenciaga menswear collection, people like Tim Blanks writing that his designs would generate a tectonic shift in taste and tailoring sensibility similar to the one engendered by Slimane or Armani before.
Well, I dare to object, a few years on, I do not see all these many people wearing rectangular shaped, wide shouldered coats or blood circulation-blocking, snug blazers.

He surely pushed the streetwear trend at the forefront of the conversation without even starting it in the first place (did somebody forget what Kim jones was doing in his pre-Dunhill years, to name one?), as he did not start the oversize shapes either.

His fashion has involved millennials first and foremost, but did not really go beyond it.

I might be biased an observer but I can't get over the cynicism behind his creative process, taking the destitutes as style models and selling tees and hoodies at Hermes prices: I simply find it vomit inducing (and I don't even consider the intellectual offense of dubbing all this fluff as ironic, post-ironic whatever or sociological study)
And please don't keep telling the tale of his credo being against the fashion system blahblahblah: he' s proved to be perfectly at ease within it, playing the very rules he was supposed to break.

Last edited:
This is from WWD not BoF, Bof boss must be very mad now lol

To make my line of thought better understood:
I do not deny his role as a ring leader in the last few years, I just don't buy the whole act as sold by the media. I do remember the reviews at the time of his debut Balenciaga menswear collection, people like Tim Blanks writing that his designs would generate a tectonic shift in taste and tailoring sensibility similar to the one engendered by Slimane or Armani before.
Well, I dare to object, a few years on, I do not see all these many people wearing rectangular shaped, wide shouldered coats or blood circulation-blocking, snug blazers.

He surely pushed the streetwear trend at the forefront of the conversation without even starting it in the first place (did somebody forget what Kim jones was doing in his pre-Dunhill years, to name one?), as he did not start the oversize shapes either.

His fashion has involved millennials first and foremost, but did not really go beyond it.

I might be biased an observer but I can't get over the cynicism behind his creative process, taking the destitutes as style models and selling tees and hoodies at Hermes prices: I simply find it vomit inducing (and I don't even consider the intellectual offense of dubbing all this fluff as ironic, post-ironic whatever or sociological study)
And please don't keep telling the tale of his credo being against the fashion system blahblahblah: he' s proved to be perfectly at ease within it, playing the very rules he was supposed to break.

Don't mistake my words as a defense of him. I LOATHE his clothes. Truly (well, most of the time, there are some things I quite like). But, I think he's had a huge impact on fashion. No, he didn't bring skinny legs back, which was a monumental shift that stills persists, but he has indeed upheaved the industry. He's changed so many rules but not for the reasons you think.

It's not because he's such a great designer, though I will credit him for instigating larger volumes as you mentioned. I will credit him for taking the idea of Normcore and lifting it from a theoretical to an haute and aspirational proposition. I will credit him for creating an aesthetic and a look for a generation of spoiled brats, cynics and digital natives to rally behind.

He has fed them ideas of superficial rebellion and clothed them with fake nostalgia for an era they were too young to know better to pine for (the 90s). He turned the most sacred and revered name in all of fashion into a petty streetwear brand. And that is how he set the industry aflame.

It has disseminated into almost every crevice From Louis Vuitton to Urban Outfitters to Perry Ellis. It's really unlike anything we've seen in a long time.

He has taught the luxury conglomerates that they don't actually need to sell luxurious clothes to charge luxurious prices. He has taught consumers to expect less and spend more. He has taught young designers that cut, construction and technique are optional ideas and that they are entitled to be a brand in of themselves, worthy of a mark of their own, worthy of stamping it onto a mediocre product, worthy of it being worn by others. All a fallacy of course.

No, sadly his influence was not limited to millennials. It's the generation before, the ones with real money who bought his clothes and put him on his throne.

But either way, don't scoff at the millennials. They have the largest numbers of any demographic. They are not the future, they are the present. They command the industry. And he has poisoned them.

His is an unintended tyranny that must be resisted. The tide is already turning. The winds of fashion are beginning to change. Out with the old, in with the new. His departure from Vetements is as good of a sign as ever.

And that is how I really feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from WWD not BoF, Bof boss must be very mad now lol

He can stay mad. Jumping into bed with LVMH was the worst thing he could ever do. I don't visit his site and I won't regard any of the reviews as being 'objective.'

He can stay mad. Jumping into bed with LVMH was the worst thing he could ever do

I do feel the same (even if this subject does not pertain to the current thread).
I hardly find anything worth reading on BoF as of late, everything stinks of marketing journal.
And even the few articles that are usually worth reading, as the op-ed from Lauren Sherman or Angelo Flaccavento, are now for subscribers only.

Don't mistake my words as a defense of him. I LOATHE his clothes. Truly (well, most of the time, there are some things I quite like). But, I think he's had a huge impact on fashion. No, he didn't bring skinny legs back, which was a monumental shift that stills persists, but he has indeed upheaved the industry. He's changed so many rules but not for the reasons you think.

It's not because he's such a great designer, though I will credit him for instigating larger volumes as you mentioned. I will credit him for taking the idea of Normcore and lifting it from a theoretical to an haute and aspirational proposition. I will credit him for creating an aesthetic and a look for a generation of spoiled brats, cynics and digital natives to rally behind.

He has fed them ideas of superficial rebellion and clothed them with fake nostalgia for an era they were too young to know better to pine for (the 90s). He turned the most sacred and revered name in all of fashion into a petty streetwear brand. And that is how he set the industry aflame.

It has disseminated into almost every crevice From Louis Vuitton to Urban Outfitters to Perry Ellis. It's really unlike anything we've seen in a long time.

He has taught the luxury conglomerates that they don't actually need to sell luxurious clothes to charge luxurious prices. He has taught consumers to expect less and spend more. He has taught young designers that cut, construction and technique are optional ideas and that they are entitled to be a brand in of themselves, worthy of a mark of their own, worthy of stamping it onto a mediocre product, worthy of it being worn by others. All a fallacy of course.

No, sadly his influence was not limited to millennials. It's the generation before, the ones with real money who bought his clothes and put him on his throne.

But either way, don't scoff at the millennials. They have the largest numbers of any demographic. They are not the future, they are the present. They command the industry. And he has poisoned them.

His is an unintended tyranny that must be resisted. The tide is already turning. The winds of fashion are beginning to change. Out with the old, in with the new. His departure from Vetements is as good of a sign as ever.

And that is how I really feel.

I felt this way 100% about Demna when I first saw Vetements and his work for Balenciaga, especially the garments like hoodies and t-shirts, his footwear like the Triple S and the crocs, and the infamous Ikea bag. Balenciaga was the ultimate standard for me in fashion because of what Nicolas created and also for its original creator, Cristobal.

I did learn more about Demna by reading and watching his interviews and learning about his past - his thought process. I don't agree with a lot (most of) of what he does creatively but it helped me understand more his point of view and voice. I'm not trying to defend him because you are valid in your feelings and opinions on Demna. The only thing I will say that he is not deliberately trying to destroy the legacy of Balenciaga or trying to manipulate how people consume luxury. I know how oblivious and foolish I may sound for saying that. However, I learned more about Demna and realized he mostly references people from his past from Georgia and moving with his family around Europe in the 90s and early 2000s. This unfortunately lends itself to really unremarkable pieces, like baggy button-down shirts on the runway, plain denim jeans, and large trainer shoes. He also tries to bring ordinary objects into the realm of luxury but it often ends up clumsy and almost comical.

I get why this infuriates those of us who revere the house of Balenciaga and the history of Parisian fashion. I used to hate Demna in a way and get angry at his collections even. It was later that I decided to question how I feel and that lead me to try lending an ear to what Demna has to say. Again, I am not trying to be defensive, just saying that now I don't believe he has a dark or devious motive. He is sincere in what he does at Balenciaga, even if it is often kitsch and hypebeasts treat the brand like streetwear without knowing its history in fashion.

I will probably regret making this post because my heart is actually pounding from nervousness (anticipating huge backlash). I am just responding and having a conversation, not looking for a confrontation. One of the reasons I don't engage in forums that much.

Demna Gvasalia on Authenticity, Irony and Resistance

Demna Gvasalia on the state of contemporary youth

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinnybackstage
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->