Galliano Said to Be Headed for Rehab
By SUZY MENKES
Published: March 2, 2011
RECOMMEND
TWITTER
SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
PRINT
REPRINTS

PARIS — John Galliano, the talented and troubled designer who was fired by the fashion house Christian Dior for making anti-Semitic remarks in a drunken rant at a Paris bar, issued an apology for his actions, and left France to enter rehabilitation on Wednesday, according to friends who refused to be named because of the sensitivity of the situation.
Enlarge This Image

Francois Guillot/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
John Galliano at the spring 2011 Christian Dior show in Paris.
‘‘Anti-Semitism and racism have no part in our society. I unreservedly apologize for my behavior in causing any offense,’’ Mr. Galliano said in a statement issued through Harbottle and Lewis, a London law firm, according to the Reuters news service. The designer's statement said he was ‘‘subjected to verbal harassment and an unprovoked assault when an individual tried to hit me with a chair having taken violent exception to my look and my clothing" during the altercation in a Parisian bar last week. He also has started legal action for defamation, according to the statement.

He was persuaded to accept treatment for his alcohol problems by close colleagues and friends like the supermodels Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss, the sources said. While the treatment center is not known, it is likely that his destination is The Meadows, a facility in Wickenberg, Arizona, where Elton John and Donatella Versace were treated in recent years.

For Christian Dior, the billion-dollar company that dismissed him on Tuesday for making the remarks, the problems are only multiplying. The Dior autumn 2011 women’s wear show will go ahead here on Friday, according to a person at Dior who asked not to be identified.

The future of the John Galliano brand, which is underwritten by Dior, relies mainly on licenses and barely breaks even financially, is complex. Executives will have to see whether those external partners still want to be associated with a designer whose name has been globally smirched.

But more dramatic for Dior, and for the entire future of haute couture, is the problem of finding a replacement for Mr. Galliano. From the British designer’s tsunami of ideas in the twice-a-year haute couture and ready-to-wear collections, design teams build ranges of inter-season collections and accessory lines. Without leadership, the fashion house can run only a short time on empty.

In the past, Dior’s parent company, LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, and its founder and chief executive, Bernard Arnault, have tended to switch both executives and designers from brand to brand. Mr. Galliano himself started his reign at LVMH at Givenchy in 1995, before switching to Dior the following year. So it is natural that the name of Riccardo Tisci, the current designer at Givenchy, Italian-born and British-trained, is considered high on the list of possible replacements at Dior.

Mr. Tisci, like Mr. Galliano an alumni of Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London, has climbed the steep learning curve toward the heights of haute couture at Givenchy. The theory goes that other LVMH brands, like Céline, Loewe and Louis Vuitton, might then follow with changes in a kind of fashion merry-go-round.

Other theories suggest that a rising fashion star might be plucked to take over at Dior or that an established success story — such as the invigoration of Lanvin by the designer Alber Elbaz — could be transferred to the LVMH stable. But with so many long-established houses searching for new talent, even with the might of Dior, a speedy choice will not be easy.

Interesting about the financial state of John Gallianos brand. I always wondered how well that actually sold because I rarely see it stocked (mens or womenswear).

I think it is interesting that their has been no mention of Gallianos personal life. He had a boyfriend called Alexis Roche, whom as far as I'm aware he was still with. Does anyone think this could be a factor? Perhaps there was a breakdown in the relationship.

I find it funny also how the the mood is changing. Everyone is so quick to judge all the time, and as more light is shone on this dark situation, the sheep slowly return with their comments of sympathy. I will stick by John whatever he does. My faith in him is blind.

same thing for me

^ I watched the clip and while it they were horrible, dark things to say he does seem in a rather altered state and from many accounts the couple had been antagonizing him. People often say things simply because they are wretched and not because it's what they believe and to me that seems to be the case here. I hope that he can pull himself out of whatever depravity it is he has sunken to, but I have in no way lost faith in him.

Like LMVH has fired Galliano because its morally wrong!

Thats a load of bullcrap!

They fired him cuz its a bussiness and they're afraid of losing money! Like any other fashion house does ... once Galliano's gone, it will be the end of a fashion era. When there was room for escapism and fantasy and true original over the top creations and excess. All of the designers who still survive from that era are tired and trying desperatedly to stay afloat (look at Lacroix and JPG).

This sucks REALLY bad because EVERYTHING related to this incident is because of filthy money .. the ppl who taped Galliano and sold the video, the ppl who now denounced him to the police and Im even getting suspicious if LMVH had something to do in this happening.

Im DONE! If the fashion bussiness keeps on being conducted this way, it'll be just a matter of decades when we are gonna be stuck on a bad Star Trek episode with everyone wearing uniforms.

*throws up*

PS Sorry I had to vent .. I find this upsetting. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Every day I click on "new arrivals" on the Barney website. What should be the newest arrival today, why it's a John Galliano logo kids shirt. Impeccable timing Barney's, really!

2yudirc.png

barneys

His mindset and the things he said will nethertheless not disappear and can't be rehabed - and I can only repeat that I am really suprised that there are so many out here in this thread who do not see his outbursts (we can so far only speak from the one on tape as 100% sure), the second one is pending to be confirmed or denied - as inacceptable, no matter if he insulted only one certain community or religion
I'm not particularly surprised at some of the reactions in this thread. His fans here at TFS take their fascination with him too far. It makes me think of the way they react whenever he's put out a bad collection for Dior. Their justification is to play the blame game, and I've heard just about every excuse under the sun: blame it on Bernard Arnault & the other LVMH execs, blame it on 'health problems', blame it on a lack of time to seek out inspiration. The list of excuses goes on and on. You don't see that happen with any other designer.

But regardless, certain elements of this whole ordeal reek of a publicity stunt. I'm alreaady sick of it.

From the newyorktimes.com

John Galliano Exits the Way That He Entered
By CATHY HORYN

IN the last two months, the editor of French Vogue has resigned; the president of Yves Saint Laurent said she will leave her dream job to run the vanity label of Reed Krakoff, the Coach creative director, whose one dream is apparently to be successful. Gucci Group cut its chief executive loose. The first anniversary, on Feb. 11, of Alexander McQueen’s suicide brought up another loss, another memory. And on the nausea went until, implausibly, John Galliano self-destructed in a liquored-up “I love Hitler” rant — caught, as so many career-enders are these days, on video and circulated on the Web.

Some felt the panic more than others and wondered if it was not time for them to get out, too. Some confronted it the only way the modern media world allows, by riding it out and planning to get to the Mugler show early on Wednesday night, because Lady Gaga was expected to model and there would be a scene.

But in this context, the words “the show must go on,” hoisted like a dinky white flag, feel callow.

One thing is for sure: Dior’s chief executive, Sidney Toledano, and his boss, the biggest pencil in the luxury-goods business, Bernard Arnault, the chairman of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, had to begin dismissal procedures against Mr. Galliano. They couldn’t tolerate the public hating by Mr. Galliano, however out of character his defenders said it was for him.

In circumstances like these, a sensible millionaire designer would have jumped into his chauffeured car and gone to his boss and pleaded insanity, whereupon he would have been given an all-expense-paid trip to rehab.

But that’s just it: Mr. Galliano is not a sensible man, any more than fashion chiefs are missionaries. Last Friday, when Dior suspended him, many fashion writers suspected that the company was seizing an opportunity to fire him after 15 years on the job. Though he could still dazzle with haute couture, like last summer’s flower-tinted collection, the real business is in accessories and ready-to-wear — and Mr. Galliano’s own eccentric turn-outs at the end of shows were often all editors talked about as they buzzed and buzzed about Phoebe Philo of Céline or someone equally relevant.

“That’s the superficial fashion world talking,” a fashion executive said on Tuesday night. If Mr. Toledano had wanted an excuse to fire Mr. Galliano, he could scarcely have ordered up a worse public-relations nightmare, one that could still engulf Dior.

As it is, Mr. Galliano did not contact Dior after the incident last Thursday, nor over the weekend, said a company executive who requested anonymity because of the unusual nature of the situation. “He was denying it,” the executive said. But the lack of communication between the house and its star designer at such a crucial moment points to deeper strains.

(On Wednesday, the Paris prosecutor announced that Mr. Galliano would stand trial for racial insults. Also on Wednesday, Mr. Galliano released his first statement. It said in part: “I only have myself to blame and I know that I must face up to my own failures and that I must work hard to gain people’s understanding and compassion. To start this process I am seeking help and all I can hope for in time is to address the personal failure which led to these circumstances and try and earn people’s forgiveness.”)

In a way, luxury groups like LVMH are reaping what they sowed in the mid-’90s, when they hired supremely talented designers like Mr. Galliano, Mr. McQueen and Marc Jacobs (for Louis Vuitton) to energize old labels. Not only was Mr. Galliano seriously gifted, with technical skills and a romantic sensibility that suited Dior’s femininity, he brought to Dior a spot-on sense of vision. And he had an outsize personality, a mixture of a fiery temperament and devil-may-care London, that people could relate to.

In interviews, or during a preview of a collection at the Dior studio, Mr. Galliano always acted the charming host, with cigarettes in supply and people from the ateliers bringing down finished dresses. One night, quite late, I watched Mr. Galliano and his closest assistants — Bill Gaytten and the late Steven Robinson — do fittings for a collection inspired, improbably perhaps, by ancient Egyptian ladies and ’50s fashion goddesses. They worked in front of the studio’s mirrors, speaking quietly among themselves, while people from the house sat on some steps, at some distance. You sensed the pressures on him.

But he may have expressed his personality, and wicked humor, best on the catwalk. The only show I have ever stood to applaud was a Galliano show, six or seven years ago. He used a special casting of sideshow performers — twins, fat people, exceptionally tall people, freaks in most people’s eyes — and he closed the show with a supermodel dangling a puppet in his likeness. The manipulated designer. But who was pulling whose strings? On his return backstage from walking on the runway, he stopped in front of me and gave a little bow. He was delighted to have his work acknowledged, like all designers.

MR. GALLIANO was a controversial choice for Dior when, in 1996, Mr. Arnault moved him from Givenchy. Even though Dior had become comically stiff and pretentious, the French took it seriously. Who was this English punk with braids? What did he know about couture? I remember going to the Dior ateliers, in 2000, and casually asking the woman who ran the drapery workrooms which of Dior’s designers she liked best: Marc Bohan, Gianfranco Ferré or Mr. Galliano.

She hesitated, then said: “Monsieur Galliano. He changed my eye.”

Initially, Mr. Toledano was alarmed by some of Mr. Galliano’s ideas: the slashed and turned-upside-down garments that appeared in the Matrix collection, in 1999, at Versailles, and the controversial show inspired by Paris tramps. At the time, Dior was still pushing a bourgeois look in its Avenue Montaigne windows and advertisements (and in its Lady Di handbags), while Mr. Galliano was doing his best to destroy all that on the runway. I remember running into Mr. Toledano and Mr. Arnault at Dior one Saturday in 1999 or so, and telling them I didn’t understand what they were trying to do with the label’s style.

“Just wait,” Mr. Arnault said, ever confident. “You’ll see. It will all come together.”

And it did. In a matter of a year or so, beginning with the saddle bag, hip-hop logo denim, and new ads, created by Mr. Galliano with the photographer Nick Knight, Dior acquired a hot, coherent image. And Mr. Galliano produced some of his most exhilarating shows, like one in July 2003 based on ballet and another in January 2007, swirling with huge skirts and three-dimensional origami embroideries in the shape of birds.

But increasingly one had the feeling that Mr. Galliano was indulged in ways that went beyond the normal — the driver, the bodyguard, the research trips, the vacations, the teams of assistants — and might have caused even the steadiest soul to lose touch with reality. Mr. Toledano is known to have repeatedly encouraged him to seek professional help for some issues (presumably, drinking), but Mr. Galliano’s replies were indirect. Or he said he would go to a spa.

Certainly the demand on designers at big houses to produce multiple collections every year has taken both its creative and personal toll.

“It’s not as if John didn’t have assistants doing the work, finding fabrics,” the Paris executive told me. “He just had to supply the vision.”

But what was that vision in the last years? Dior wanted more commercial clothes. And isn’t there something horribly detrimental in separating a creative spirit from the actual mechanics of making clothes? It’s no wonder that young designers now question the model of big luxury houses and admire the slow-clothes method of Azzedine Alaïa, who still makes his patterns himself, or even Giorgio Armani, who works all the time.

In one way or another, these whip-lashing events feel like a repudiation of certain beliefs. But the sadness and sense of waste is undeniable. Maybe one good thing that will come out of this is that Mr. Galliano will get some help. On Wednesday, there were news reports that he had left France and entered a rehab center, at the urging of colleagues and friends like Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss.

A version of this article appeared in print on March 3, 2011, on page E1

Like LMVH has fired Galliano because its morally wrong!

Thats a load of bullcrap!

They fired him cuz its a bussiness and they're afraid of losing money! Like any other fashion house does ... once Galliano's gone, it will be the end of a fashion era. When there was room for escapism and fantasy and true original over the top creations and excess. All of the designers who still survive from that era are tired and trying desperatedly to stay afloat (look at Lacroix and JPG).

This sucks REALLY bad because EVERYTHING related to this incident is because of filthy money .. the ppl who taped Galliano and sold the video, the ppl who now denounced him to the police and Im even getting suspicious if LMVH had something to do in this happening.

Im DONE! If the fashion bussiness keeps on being conducted this way, it'll be just a matter of decades when we are gonna be stuck on a bad Star Trek episode with everyone wearing uniforms.

*throws up*

PS Sorry I had to vent .. I find this upsetting. :/
The fashion business is a BUSINESS. Its sole purpose is to make MONEY. It may suck and maybe some people more than others might appreciate the art of fashion, but when it comes down to it, the reason why the bags are $1000 and sold at Barney's and not $20 and sold at Target is because the people who make the bags are in business to make a profit. If they did that, they wouldn't make a profit.

John Galliano's outburst would be bad for business if he stayed at the house. Jewish lobby groups would organize boycotts against the company, circulate petitions, and spread negative publicity. Certain famous people would speak out against him and refuse to go to the show -- they'd have empty front row seats they'd have to fill. It would be an embarrassment and hurt business. The company would lose money and customers. Retailers might have even stopped doing business with Dior. In order to preserve the brand and business, they had no other choice but to give him the axe. JG screwed up and has no one to blame but his own darn self. He gave them no other choice. As the creative head and face of a brand, he should have been more careful. Every second he is out there representing the brand. If he wasn't aware of that, or was too cocky to think that he couldn't do absolutely anything he wanted to do, that's his mistake.

Galliano Show Will Be a Presentation, With 30 Already-Completed Looks

There will be an informal presentation for the Galliano brand on Sunday, consisting of 30 looks that were already completed. “We just felt it wasn’t appropriate to do a classic fashion show,” says Galliano’s spokesman, Alexandre Malgouyres. “But we’re doing John’s collection, for John, so that he returns quickly.”

fashionologie.com

The fashion business is a BUSINESS. Its sole purpose is to make MONEY. It may suck and maybe some people more than others might appreciate the art of fashion, but when it comes down to it, the reason why the bags are $1000 and sold at Barney's and not $20 and sold at Target is because the people who make the bags are in business to make a profit. If they did that, they wouldn't make a profit.

John Galliano's outburst would be bad for business if he stayed at the house. Jewish lobby groups would organize boycotts against the company, circulate petitions, and spread negative publicity. Certain famous people would speak out against him and refuse to go to the show -- they'd have empty front row seats they'd have to fill. It would be an embarrassment and hurt business. The company would lose money and customers. Retailers might have even stopped doing business with Dior. In order to preserve the brand and business, they had no other choice but to give him the axe. JG screwed up and has no one to blame but his own darn self. He gave them no other choice. As the creative head and face of a brand, he should have been more careful. Every second he is out there representing the brand. If he wasn't aware of that, or was too cocky to think that he couldn't do absolutely anything he wanted to do, that's his mistake.

agree agree agree!

The fashion business is a BUSINESS.
true. but designer is an artist, and if u look through history that always ends poorly.

I think we all know that .. Im talking about the end of an era.

We saw the rise and fall of many designers who took it to the limit.

Nowadays thats gone and due to financial climate I highly doubt we'll see it again, thank you.

true. but designer is an artist, and if u look through history that always ends poorly.
IMO designers who cannot or do not want to deal with the business aspect of fashion should not take jobs with entities like LVMH / Dior. I know that it is very tough to serve those two masters (business and artistry) and I do believe that that may have been a factor in the intensity Galliano's "issues" but I do not think that design houses should be demonize for wanting to profit from their employees talents, either in the form of direct sales or in increased brand awareness / enhanced brand image.

I still just can't believe the mess this has caused. It has been a week since first reports emerged, and never in my wildest dreams would I of believed everything that has happened and the stuff I now know. It just goes to show you should never take things as you think you see them.

In reading many posts on this subject I would just like to say I am saddened and disgusted by what some of the members have written. I will call out no one in specific, but many posts seem to have anti-jewish slants to them. Now this may not be the intent of some of the writers. But as a reader, I have to tell you, some of you are coming off this way. This may or may not be your intent. Just remember that you cannot understand meaning online. We can't see your facial expressions or hear your vocal inflections. So if you are trying to be scarcastic or the like, I would avoid it on this sensitive subject. However, if you are expressing your POV, that is your right. I can only shake my head.

I would also like to say that it was not the drinks that made Mr. Galliano an anti-semite. Alcohol doesn't make you say things like that. Those things are there, drinking just opens what is there.

Every day I click on "new arrivals" on the Barney website. What should be the newest arrival today, why it's a John Galliano logo kids shirt. Impeccable timing Barney's, really!

barneys
oh no they did not:D
And that price!!!are they 4 real..???:shock:
b*tch please....

the only thing more disgusting than Galliano's anti-semetic rant itself is that fact that people are making excuses for his behaviour

I've never liked Galliano, but I admired his creativity (not so much recently).
Am I sad that he's gone? Not at all. Why? Because he's Galliano and will probably come back some way or another.

"Drunk words are sober thoughts."
Although, according to Hitler... Galliano would be dead too for being a homosexual... so he was obviously joking (although he took it WAAAY too far) or a complete idiot (also possible, just because someone is creative doesn't mean they're smart).

Also, I'm not Jewish, but I think it's rather insulting that he can go to "rehab" for this. What in the world do they do in that kind of rehab? I mean seriously? Do they think it's gonna make it all better if he goes to this so-called "rehab" for 6 months and come out and say "I'm all better now, I love Jews, I hate Hitler"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muggins1265
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"