Christian Dior F/W 11.12 Paris (See Post #1 for thread rules, before posting)

I personnally think that Dior is alive thank to the Atelier team. THEY made this brand famous !!!

True.

Anyhow, I did like it, maybe it's because I like Renaissance ere Florence and most looks remind me of that, especially the shoes, maybe I'm just sentimental and it's because it's John's last collection for Dior. :blush:
What I don't like are some of the more mashed together looks, remind me Lacroix, both the cut and color, it didn't work for him (no one bought that, just "admired") and it certainly doesn't work for Dior. :yuk:

Sydney Toledano's speech in full:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Since its founding by Monsieur Dior, the House of Christian Dior has lived an extraordinary and wonderful story and has had the honour of embodying France’s image, and its values, all around the world.

What has happened over the last week has been a terrible and wrenching ordeal for us all.

It has been deeply painful to see the Dior name associated with the disgraceful statements attributed to its designer, however brilliant he may be.

Such statements are intolerable because of our collective duty to never forget the Holocaust and its victims, and because of the respect for human dignity that is owed to each person and to all peoples.

These statements have deeply shocked and saddened all at Dior who give body and soul to their work, and it is particularly painful that they came from someone so admired for his remarkable creative talent.

So now, more than ever, we must publicly re-commit ourselves to the values of the House of Dior.

Christian Dior founded his House in 1947.

His family had been ruined in the Crash of 1929 and his own beloved sister had been deported to Buchenwald. In the aftermath of the dark years of the war, he sought to free women, to give them back their sparkle and joyfulness.

Christian Dior’s values were those of excellence in all that he undertook, of elegance and of craftsmanship reflecting his unique talent. His mission was not only to make his clients – indeed all women – more beautiful, but also to make them happy, to help them dream. He saw himself as a magician who could give women confidence and make them ever more feminine, more sublime. He believed in the importance of respect and in the capacity of this fundamental value not only to bring out the beauty in women, but also to bring out the best in all people.

His values, his genius and his legacy have contributed to enhancing France’s image and culture around the world for more than sixty years.

The values that Monsieur Dior taught us are unchanged today. Those values are carried on by the wonderful and diverse group of people within the House of Dior who devote all their talent and energy to achieving the ultimate in artisanship and femininity, respecting traditional skills and incorporating modern techniques.

The heart of the House of Dior, which beats unseen, is made up of its teams and studios, of its seamstresses and craftsmen, who work hard day after day, never counting the hours, and carrying on the values and the vision of Monsieur Dior.

What you are going to see now is the result of the extraordinary, creative, and marvellous efforts of these loyal, hardworking people.

Thank you.

Sidney Toledano
vogue.co.uk

Not feeling it!

I haven't really 'LOVED' a Dior collection in a long while now...

ugly fur but beautiful dresses.
I dont know for typical Galliano's collection with not typical bad styling

It feels a little disjointed. Yes, its all Victorian and romantic but it started with this bohemian jewel-tone vibe and then suddenly moved into sweet pastels. There are great pieces in both sides but it feels like two different collections to me. I think mostly this collection has made me excited to see who they appoint to replace him and future collections.

what the hell is that statement from toledano? why even bother making it? it feels so profoundly unnecessary and random. although it probably goes in the other thread, the one about galliano, not this one

Well. In that statement he claims Galliano has little to do with the collection, apparently.

Well. In that statement he claims Galliano has little to do with the collection, apparently.

wich translates to 'BUY THESE CLOTHES! They were made by a group of amazing people and not by a little hateful man'.

but since till last week none of this had happened i hardly believe john had litte-to-nothing to do with this :rolleyes:
thanks for trying, sydney

I got from the speech that he was implying Galliano didn't do too much as well, which really shouldn't be much of a shock to anyone. It's the case with most designers.

I applaud the speech, and for the whole atelier taking to the runway at the end. What he says is true in many respects. Dior is far bigger than Galliano, and will survive without him. I was never much of a fan of his work there, and this collection doesn't do very much for either. The colours are nice, but I feel like I've seen everything before, and presented to me in this way before also?

Bring on the change.

I got from the speech that he was implying Galliano didn't do too much as well, which really shouldn't be much of a shock to anyone. It's the case with most designers.

I applaud the speech, and for the whole atelier taking to the runway at the end. What he says is true in many respects. Dior is far bigger than Galliano, and will survive without him. I was never much of a fan of his work there, and this collection doesn't do very much for either. The colours are nice, but I feel like I've seen everything before, and presented to me in this way before also?

Bring on the change.

I agree. With what happened, it seemed most appropriate to give a speech acknowledging the events that have unfolded and reminding everyone (especially those new to fashion, who may have never herd of Dior and only understand the chaos and drama of Galliano's statement) of who and what Dior is and stands for.

I was hoping for a little more solid collection, but nonetheless- we must move on. I'll miss Galliano for Dior.

Seeing the entire team come out at the end felt so good- much needed acknowledgement of who actually works on the collection :smile:

I agree with everything you said, honeycombchild. And after the monumental decision of firing Galliano, starting the show like nothing had happened just doesn't 'match' with the course of actions we've seen all week. The statement just makes sense.

This is clearly missing the final touches of a Galliano collection but god knows this is the trash he's been making for the past 8 years.. at its purest, probably. The only thing I mourn is the era that's ending with Galliano's departure, to say he was no influence in my growing interest in fashion as a child would be a lie, I grew up seeing pictures of his creations, he (next to Chanel) probably represents my earliest memory of fashion and I can't imagine a coverage of an event like fashion week without a mention of Dior under his vision.. sad it ended like this, while most modern departures at legendary houses are abrupt and uncomfortable (Theyskens, Ford, Melim Andersson, etc), Galliano was probably the only designer that had all the chances to walk out the way Yves Saint Laurent did in 2002. I don't excuse nor condemn him for what he did, it's just sad to see departures like this in any kind of job, especially when you have excelled at it and dedicated a good portion of your life to it.. and it's also sad that physical things such as a profession or a vice or whatever it was that unfortunately doesn't go with you to the grave led him to forgot his human side.. hopefully this change in his life will nourish him as a human being.. and Dior will be fine, I doubt they'll face a turbulent road without him, of course it will take time to find a vision that represents them accurately but they still have their perfumes/cosmetics, that's their big forte and what people on the street really associate the brand with.

does anyone else find it interesting that the way the opening look was styled it looks like galliano. not something he would design persay, but how he would dress in the cape and ruffled blouse. idk if it was intentional but it stuck out to me.

everyone here would hate on galliano season after but now that he is leaving they are admonishing the loss of the genius touch. whatever, good riddance. this collection is mediocre.

does anyone else find it interesting that the way the opening look was styled it looks like galliano. not something he would design persay, but how he would dress in the cape and ruffled blouse. idk if it was intentional but it stuck out to me.

i totally agree on the cape thing. it's the first thing i thought when i saw it, also the way she moved etc. i don't know.

Unimpressive collection. Old ideas recycled, right down to the make-up. John & Karl suffer the same problem: creativity drained.

It is quite good!
Love the first part with strong colored pieces and high boots!They look vicious!!
The gowns are really boring indeed,they look copied from previous season :lol:

It's not bad, but always the same :/ Although the color palette is really great.
I'm hoping for the new designer, whoever it will be, to bring fresh air into this company.

I loved the collection, of course there are some old ideas, but I love them. Missed John there though. Always loved his excentric apparition.

The third collection of the season that I loved. So many beautiful pieces, save the hideous shorts and vermudas. I'm lusting over these rich, warm winter colours of the first part.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to the new era with great anticipation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->