Designers Switching Houses & Moving to New Brands

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Psylocke, Sep 18, 2011.

1. vetemente

vetemente New Member

If he had done a `Fear of God ZEGNA` gig, it might have just saved his life...such is the state of fashion these days sadly.

2. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

If they want boring clothes they could always go to Bottega Veneta or Hermes. Out of the three, Hermes would probably be the best bang for the buck anyways.

3. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

Frida Giannini is perfect for Ferragamo. She knows glamour, which is Ferragamo's DNA imo. This brand was like Jimmy Choo in the 50s, every star in Hollywood wore Ferragamo. Plus Frida started her career as an accessories designer, she knows footwear and leathergoods. I rememer the footwear department was still going very strong at the last few year of her reign at Gucci. Ferragamo is totally outdated these years, Paul Andrew just redesigned the iconic Vara pumps and that's all....

4. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

And please do not forget the reason why Tom hired Frida is that she was a member of Silvia Venturini Fendi's team, which designed the iconic Baguette bag....

#FridaForFerragamo :lol:

5. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I hated her clothes but when it comes to bags, shoes (and furs), Frida knew her stuff. Her last few collections had some of the best timeless bags Gucci has had in it catalog. I still carry them and they looks less dated than the more recent ones by Alessandro.

She is the perfect fit for Ferragamo. Even when looking at her Gucci collections, they looks believable for Ferragamo.

6. JohannesL

JohannesL Well-Known Member

You guys do remind me of Frida's hit collections like FW2011 and FW2012. There's no doubt in our minds that she could do glamorous and sexy clothes or even good accessories, which is quite a good fit for Ferragamo! But there were a lot of times when we were wrong like Dundas for Cavalli and Copping for ODLR, to just name a few. I feel nowadays no one care more about the creative side of fashion than those of us in the TFS, and the people on the business side just want to cash out the brand as much as possible.It is no longer about matching designers to brands if we look at the long list of those mediocre designers reigning big brands. I think it is one of the reasons that most of us are suddenly missing those designers in our better time of fashion.

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  7. Lola701

You are right but tbh, it’s not like Frida was an outstanding designer at her time. Gucci was surely the less stimulating brand of Kering and certainly the less stimulating brand out of the big 10.

We didn’t have fireworks from Gucci so in a way I think that the expectations are somehow lower for both parties (the brand and the designer). The problem with a brand like Ferragamo is maybe the lack of coherence...

The house, despite the fact that it had never been a big player in the fashion landscape has always stand for something. And from Cristina Ortiz to Giornetti, there was some sort of coherence that they decided to destroy.

Even if they don’t choose Frida, to continue in that direction would be totally ridiculous. Nobody goes to Ferragamo for clothes so, there’s no need to propose a Celine inspired aesthetic when the market is saturated.

Frida praised MGC’s work for Dior so I guess she is still in that sort of basic lane she was. But she knows how to sell the idea of Glamour and she is good as accessoires.

She was a precursor in that sort of Zara deluxe fashion after all. She would maybe have better reviews today than she had before.

JohannesL and arabchic like this.
  8. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between Frida and some of those other designers . For one thing, she would be an Italian designer going to an Italian house. Secondly, her aesthetic is perfectly suited for a house like Ferragamo. Gucci by Frida was all about sophisticated and understated luxury with just a hint of sex appeal. Isn't that what Italian fashion is all about? There was nothing Italian about Paul Andrew's frumpy attempt at Ferragamo. Frida will also have a huge upperhand hand in the accessories department. Her shoes and bags were fabulous. Her background in accessories alone would be worth hiring her for. If not Frida then I would gladly take Stefano Pilati. He was really doing great things at the end of his tenure at YSL. What a shame it turned out to be too little too late.

JohannesL and Lola701 like this.
  9. arabchic

arabchic Member

Can you name the big 10? :bounce:
    (Between your posts always amaze me!)

10. Lola701

He didn’t have the best reputation coming out of YSL and I think he even expressed it. Being portrayed as difficult is not easy. He said that apart from Zegna (who he knew for a longtime), no one really called. Frida had also a very « difficult » image post Gucci but I guess she has some sort of relations in the Italian fashion community.

What he did for Agnona was great. I feel like what he did for Zegna was almost a waste. So much fanfare and energy for a glorified PR stunt is a total waste of talent (even if it did wonders for his personal finances).

When I say big 10, it’s fashion brands in terms of « importance » more than relevance. And of course, big luxury players like Cartier cannot be included.
    Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Hermès, Gucci, Dior, Prada, Burberry, Armani, YSL, Bottega Veneta

JohannesL and arabchic like this.