Discussion: Who Should Be The Creative Director of Chanel?

But LV don't have fashion codes. It's a leather luggage company.

And I have zero nostalgia for his Balenciaga. He is right for Chanel by the work he's doing now.

And them you said Jacquemus...dude, Jacquemus can barely do pret a porter, for god's sake.

1. Vuitton does have house code, their monogram alone is one of the strongest codings of any house. Not to mention all the archival referencing that could be done with the Marc Jacobs era of the house. With the millennial resurgence of the TikTok generation chomping at the bit for everything Y2K, this is clear. So, you're incorrect with your assessment.
2. Ghesquiere will not leave his post at Vuitton, it's just not gonna happen especially after celebrating 10 years there.
3. Jacquemus as an independent label and founder could barely do RTW, but with the Chanel Atelier behind him and a management team supporting him financially it could be done. @Alquimista

I am honestly quite surprised to see how many of you do not like Jacquemus. I guess I had been away from the forums for so long that I missed the discourse about y'all not liking him. Noted for the future.

As of today, I think Chitoshe Abe of Saçai could take on Chanel and really bring it to the level where it should be. Karl was a fan of hers and integrating elements of Japanese luxury into the brand would really kill. The more I think about it, the more interesting she feels to me as a fit. A bit unexpected, and another female designer. Wondering what y'all think....

Last edited:
1. Vuitton does have house code, their monogram alone is one of the strongest codings of any house. Not to mention all the archival referencing that could be done with the Marc Jacobs era of the house. With the millennial resurgence of the TikTok generation chomping at the bit for everything Y2K, this is clear. So, you're incorrect with your assessment.
2. Ghesquiere will not leave his post at Vuitton, it's just not gonna happen especially after celebrating 10 years there.
3. Jacquemus as an independent label and founder could barely do RTW, but with the Chanel Atelier behind him and a management team supporting him financially it could be done. @Alquimista

I am honestly quite surprised to see how many of you do not like Jacquemus. I guess I had been away from the forums for so long that I missed the discourse about y'all not liking him. Noted for the future.

As of today, I think Chitoshe Abe of Saçai could take on Chanel and really bring it to the level where it should be. Karl was a fan of hers and integrating elements of Japanese luxury into the brand would really kill. The more I think about it, the more interesting she feels to me as a fit. A bit unexpected, and another female designer. Wondering what y'all think....
1 . He did reference the monogram. Last fall show had a look based on it.
2 . Jacquemus is a below average designer. The petit mains are not magicians. A below average design executed by a high level atelier is still a below average design.
The simple fact that his Vuitton is different from his Balenciaga while keeping the essence of his style is enough for me to still believe in him.
I’m tired of designers taking houses as just names on the doors and doing copy paste of their work everywhere.

I think Chanel would be a place where he would experiment more in flou actually. There are always moments of flou in his collections. They are always interesting!
He's doing more volume and flowy looks lately.
We know it's not his main territory but I believe in his capacity to adapt.

I mean, think about those last dresses from resort 2024, something so Chanel about it and so daring for him. The spring 2022 collection screamed Chanel.

And we surely don't need to bother about Nicolas drawing the best jackets for Chanel. No brainer, baby!

Marc Jacobs era of the house.
what codes? his collection were great but was all over the place in terms of having any "code". Monogram isnt a house code for fashion. Maybe for accessories.

Ghesqure has established a Louis Vuitton woman though. He can do totally different collections but shes the same, high-fashion, futuristic girl.

Rumours started to circulate they’re eying JW Anderson giving his massive success at Loewe and, apparently, his transformative ability to make desirable products etc.

Tfs has already been revived and evolved recently by the slow death of fashion and constant musical chairs of CDs

I can’t wait to see what this board will look like if Jacquemus is named CD lol

Surely there is a lurker from Chanel who can kindly put this rumor to rest with a big *** no.

If Jacquemus I just picture cardboard dresses with cutouts worn by the Kardashian/Jenners - it will look so trashy

if it is jacquemus... cant wait to see all the minaudiere he will make for chanel. maybe the atelier will compensate for his lack of skills? just like how everyone wants him to hire an actual tailor to create his clothes. Im not sure he has the range for such a big brand though.

There was this quote from The Guardian's review of the Fall '24 couture collection that stuck with me.

"Chanel codes...are adeptly translated by a 150-strong atelier team through the lens of current client tastes. (For example: many contemporary clients with haute couture budgets are drawn from cultures of modest dressing, so Chanel couture features many more grand capes and sweeping hemlines than minidresses.)"

Perhaps the "matronly" silhouettes associated with Virginie's collections were more of a requirement she had to fulfill to please a certain market that dresses modestly. And she just didn't really know how to properly execute those styles well, because that specific clientele existed even when Karl was at Chanel but he very much knew how to design that style well. Nonetheless, I have some sympathy towards designers who have to design to please a market that has specific rules and limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avann
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->