Elliptical Trainer

mmmlovesit said:
oh, it works. just as effective as a treadmill, if not, more effective. <3

Yup, experts say it is indeed more effective.

I love the elliptical machine! I can burn a good 400 calories in 30 minutes, and the next day my knees aren't agonizing me (even though I'm young I can't do high impact on me knees).

Erin said:
Yup, experts say it is indeed more effective.

Ofcourse it is more effective because youre actually using your arms and legs...
that is what makes it a bit tougher IMO...

Eunie said:
I'm new to this machine, but I 'm falling in love with it. I think it's easy on my knees.
The only concern is that I feel like I am not really working out...It's just different than treadmill...
Do you think elliptical trainer is still effective?
Have anyone had a good result with this machine?

Any advice would be appreciated! :lol:

Yes, the elliptical is soooo good. I agree, it is easier on the knees than a treadmill or stationary bike. In order for me to get a good workout in, I have to stay on it for at LEAST 30 minutes....anything less....I haven't done nothing! I like the way it makes my "toosh" look! :woot:

I have been using the elliptical for my cardio workout for years. And if you are on the elliptical and think it is an easy workout - like cheating -- (as some of the previous posts have mentioned) or if you aren't sweating and really working...then you need to take it up a few levels! Anyone can hop on the machine and do it for an hour at level 3. But, if you want to seriously burn calories, you have to push yourself on the elliptical and you need to know how to structure your time on the machine to get the results that you want.

There are tons of different settings and techniques, but here is one that I like to do: I'll do it for 35-45 minutes at a time, starting out on level 4 for a couple of minutes, then I will set it on level 5 for five minutes then up to level 6 for ten minutes....and so on until I get to level 9. Trust me, if you're working on the elliptical at a level 9 you won't be thinking your afternoon jog is so much more difficult than the elliptical! You can also do intervals -- starting out on level 4 to warm up, pushing it up to a level 6 for a few minutes, to 7-8 for a couple of minutes, then to a 9 or 10. Then you cool back down for a few minutes and start all over again. That type of workout really burns the calories!

The elliptical is all about knowing how to push yourself and be in charge of your own cardio workout. I used to run but try and stay away from it now due to the potential for damage to my knees.

I've just discovered the elliptical machine, and unlike what others said, I feel it's killing me! I could feel my thighs begging me to stop after 5 minutes on the machine. Think I need to go slower the next time.

I like that I can work my arms together with my legs, plus, it's low-impact, meaning I can use the machine when I'm past 50 even!

Hi Eunie

I use the elliptical trainers at my local uni gym. I absolutely love them :heart: :D . Comparing them to gym bikes or the treadmill they burn the most calories and they are ridiculosly low impact. I never break a sweat or anything.... Which sort of worries me a bit.

where can i get one? also, does it take up much space and how much do they generally cost? i really want to use one but my parents dont like how machines take up lots of room in the house and they refuse to let me join a gym..

i just went to the gym for my 2nd time today (embarrassing, I know)..and it is a community gym so there is only basically one of each machine and we are only allowed on them for 20minutes each because there is almost always somebody waiting to use it. but both times i have been to the gym ive done the elliptical. i love it! running hurts my knees and i hate the treadmill...the elliptical feels so "airy" and easier, though i still defintely break a sweat and get out of breath. the thing is, since we can only do it for 20 minutes at a time, how can i get a good workout with that? if i have time, would it be the same to do 20 minutes, let someone else go on, then 20 minutes again?

Sweets said:
i heart the elliptical! its a daily staple- and its a really good work out, but you have to apply yourself. If you dont just "go with the flow" you can really test your fitness and go hard.

i retract that statement... i was a gym goer for years, always did the elliptical, and the stair machines until one day i decided not to go to the gym, ever again. I wanted to make running my only form of exercise... so i did, and now i run 3-7 miles every night and there has been a HUGE change in my body, no gym machine compares. :blush:

At my gym we have 2 kinds: one where you can move your arms with it, ones where you don't. I always do the one with the arms, but I only do 'quickstart'...I can't figure out how to do the other programs! And I usually only do resistance 4..I should turn it up right? And does anyone ever go backwards? I always feel like it looks wrong doing the backwards thing...

I usually do Random at level 3, i guess i should turn it up as well!
I tried Fat Burn today but I didn't know what to input as my target heart rate. How many calories should I be expecting to burn in a half hour on the elliptical?
I've done it backwards...it feels a little awkward, but it's a good quad workout. Sometimes I don't use the arms when I'm going backwards cuz it feels awkward.

i'm also using elliptical trainer between my classes ( i usually have like 30 min break and i don't want to loose my sweat) but i'm so clueless with the programs.. i guess i should ask someone to show me. still have been doing calorie burning -program with it and i'm really sweating, so i'll guess it is doing something at least :lol:
usually i combine my elliptical training to spinning and bodypump-classes

I did the weight loss interval today. Woooo what a workout. I set resistance to 5, and since it's the WL one it moved up occassionally! tough!

I like the elliptical trainer for when I am feeling lazy or sore. I am too unco to use the arms though. I go on level 8 or 9 for at least 30 minutes.

I have to say though I feel better after a run- runners' high really does exist. :smile: Running has effected more changes to my body than the elliptical.

realized yesterday how the elliptical really works.
i did the fat burning for 30 min yesterday and i realized it goes from level 3 to level 7. the warming-up is done on levels 3 and 5 and the the exercise is done on level 7. then again in the end you do 5 and 3. i was sweating so much, like never before. it was a really good exercise, it seems that you can feel the difference in your thighs almost immediately. i love it

wow!!! do you know how much it cost on average?? I wanna buy one right away for my new appartment!! hehe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->